Thread: How to setup generic mailboxes

hucon is offline Starter Member

Question How to setup generic mailboxes

Hi guys,

To start off, I'm pretty new to zimbra. After having googled and searched I haven't really found an answer to my question and perhaps I'm just overseeing something here.

Anyhow, I want to do the following.

I have domain: x.com

All my users have an email adres, e.g. frank@x.com

Now I want the following. When I log in to zimbra (web) I'd like to login to frank@x.com and also see all folders etc from the generic mailbox orders@x.com this box is shared with a few people. They all work on it and we need to see when somebody replied or also when moved a message to a folder (e.g. folder: pending or back-order)

I have been looking around and what I tried is adding orders@x.com as external imap account. This gives me all the folders, but when somebody else moves a message I don't see this straight away. Only after having clicked on a few folders it gets updated.
    This is causing issues, since now mails get replied to twice or processed twice. Also when sending email the adres is not correct. It should send from orders@x.com in this case when replying on the mail instead of the private box.

Actually I think I'm doing something wrong by setting this up as an external imap while it's on the same box and same domain.

Can somebody explain me how to go with this? Would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hucon View Post
    Hi guys,

To start off, I'm pretty new to zimbra. After having googled and searched I haven't really found an answer to my question and perhaps I'm just overseeing something here.

Anyhow, I want to do the following.

I have domain: x.com

All my users have an email adres, e.g. frank@x.com

Now I want the following. When I log in to zimbra (web) I'd like to login to frank@x.com and also see all folders etc from the generic mailbox orders@x.com this box is shared with a few people. They all work on it and we need to see when somebody replied or also when moved a message to a folder (e.g. folder: pending or back-order)

I have been looking around and what I tried is adding orders@x.com as external imap account. This gives me all the folders, but when somebody else moves a message I don't see this straight away. Only after having clicked on a few folders it gets updated.
    This is causing issues, since now mails get replied to twice or processed twice. Also when sending email the adres is not correct. It should send from orders@x.com in this case when replying on the mail instead of the private box.

Actually I think I'm doing something wrong by setting this up as an external imap while it's on the same box and same domain.

Can somebody explain me how to go with this? Would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
    If I understand what you want to accomplish accurately, Zimbra's Sharing functionality should be just what you need.

Try creating a Zimbra mailbox called something like "bazinga@yourdomain.com". Login as the bazinga user and share out the mail folder (trees) or just specific email folders to those "human" users who need access. Those users need not be in Zimbra BTW, and you can do the same with Calendars and Address Books.

We often create non-human accounts for clients to handle email addresses like "careers@domain.com". You can then set up filtering rules in those non-human mailboxes to forward emails to the proper staff (or distribution lists) but keep a centralized record as is sometimes required by regulation and/or corporate policy.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

hucon is offline Starter Member

This works indeed, but how can I send now an email in such way that the sender's email only says: carreers@domain.com ? And not the one I'm logged in with?

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hucon View Post
    This works indeed, but how can I send now an email in such way that the sender's email only says: carreers@domain.com ? And not the one I'm logged in with?
    Check out the Zimbra Persona functionality!

Go to Preferences > Account and click the Add Persona button.

Once done, when you compose a new email the From area will change to a drop-down, and you can choose one of your Personas instead of your mailbox's primary email address.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information