Thread: Zimbra Mail Server Mail spooling

viperce is offline New Member

Question Zimbra Mail Server Mail spooling

Hi,

I am currently using Mercury mail server, I would like to switch to Zimbra, however, I am still fairly new to linux and I am trying to figure out where to start.

OK so here is what i currently have the following,

Mercury mail server....
    a mail spooling account (with my ISP)
    so all mails going to @domainname.com are collected from my ISP by mercury, mercury then distributes the emails to all users i have. (catchall@domainname.com account at ISP)
    any email addresses that do not exist are delivered to the postmaster account and a email is sent to the sender notifying them that the account does not exist.

local and external emails are delivered to Mercury, which are then delivered locally as well as to my ISP.

Now, I would like to know if this is possible with Zimbra and if so could you point me in the right direction please.

I have been googling etc and have found a few very old posts....

Thanks in advance...

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Why do you not have your mail delivered and sent directly to and from your server?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I could get my ISP to Deliver my mail to the server, would zimbra then be able to sort my mail for me? deliver to the correct users and any recipients that don't exist would go to postmaster?

the last time i tried to use linux to do this i had to setup 3-4 different packages to do what mercury is doing now...

Quote Originally Posted by viperce View Post
    I could get my ISP to Deliver my mail to the server, would zimbra then be able to sort my mail for me? deliver to the correct users and any recipients that don't exist would go to postmaster?
    That wasn't quite what I asked, mail being delivered directly to your server is from other mail servers directly to your server and also sent directly top other mail servers not via your ISP - is there some reason you can't (or don't) do that?
    Regards

Bill

no its just the way its always been setup for Mercury(by previous SP). I'm looking at changing it....was going to go with exchange but with upgrade costs being so high we can not afford to....

Quote Originally Posted by viperce View Post
    no its just the way its always been setup for Mercury(by previous SP). I'm looking at changing it....was going to go with exchange but with upgrade costs being so high we can not afford to....
    By "ISP", do you mean a hosting provider? Do they run the mail server for you or is it a local machine on your LAN? Sorry about this, I'd like to understand why you have this configuration before answering about whether zimbra can act like your current server.
    Regards

Bill

Yes I mean hosting provider sorry my ISP is my hoisting provider as we'll, the mail server is a local machine on our network.

Mercury collects our mail from our mailbox on our hp server and then sorts it.

Sorry if im not explaining it correctly.

If I get my ISP to point my domain mx records to my static ip and I forward the ports(port 995?)to the zimbra server, will zimbra sort the emails to the correct users and any addresses that don't exist be forwarded to the postmaster and a failure notifications need to be sent to the sender or do I need to setup an additional package to do this?

I currently have zimbra setup on a test server, I can send emails to the zimbra server it sends local mails to the local accounts I have setup as well as sending emails to external account (gmail account)
    Last edited by viperce; 09-29-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Thread Information