Thread: ZCS 8 banned emails are not in the Quarantined folder

rizzpatel is offline Intermediate Member

Default ZCS 8 banned emails are not in the Quarantined folder

Before our upgrade from ZCS 7x to 8x, we were able to retrieve all badh, banned, and virus emails through the /opt/zimbra/data/amavisd/quarantine directory.

Now it seems like amavis is only putting "badh" blocked emails (bad headers).

I am trying to retrieve a "banned" email. Obviously it's too late now, the email has been discarded.

Could someone tell me how/where I would configure zimbra 8 to not simply discard the banned emails, but put them in the virus quarantine account so i can release them?

Thanks for any help

rizzpatel is offline Intermediate Member

I guess since zimbra 7 they are no longer put in /opt/zimbra/data/amavisd/quarantined as banned-* files.

They are now available through the virus-quarantine.312313@domain.com account.

But, how does one release the email to the user from this point? I almost found SSHing into the box and sending it to the NAS was easier than this.

I can't save the file to my local machine. Through the Web Gui. I can't forward the file to the recipient because it just gets blocked again and ends up back in the virus.quarantine inbox.

My dirty method was to install Thunderbird, remove virus-quarantine.321313@domain.com as a system user by making him a "Global Administrator"(This let's us login directly with username/password and doesn't require us to use the "View Mail" link through the admin console..So I can login with Thunderbird)

In Thunderbird I am able to right click -> Save As and get the file in .eml format. I then send the file.eml to the recipient and it arrives successfully.

Is there any way to exclude virus-quarantine.321313@domain.com from being scanned by amavisd? This way if someone wants to retrieve a false positive, all I need to do is "View Mail" from the Admin console, then forward the banned content to the right user.

Excluding would be nice and would make this very hassle free. Or even, why are the banned-* files no longer in /opt/zimbra/data/quarantined but all other files still arrive there? (badh, spam)

Hopefully someone can give me some nice tips

thanks

obsidian is offline Trained Alumni

Hi

I also just ran into this issue , any ideas ? any fixes ?

Appreciate any feedback.

obsidian is offline Trained Alumni

Thank you for the advice , do you mind to narrow it down it a bit more ?

neilpage is offline Junior Member

Is there a solution for this yet? I have a fresh in stall of 8.0.6_GA FOSS on Ubuntu 12.04. I have legitimate messages in the "virus-quarantine-xxxx@" mailbox that I would like to release. Nothing in the admin guide either, strange.

Eclipse is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by neilpage View Post
    Is there a solution for this yet? I have a fresh in stall of 8.0.6_GA FOSS on Ubuntu 12.04. I have legitimate messages in the "virus-quarantine-xxxx@" mailbox that I would like to release. Nothing in the admin guide either, strange.
    For anyone still encountering an issue for finding the virus account in Zimbra 8+ or trying to recover an email. You can use the Web Console.

If you go to the admin account, from the management home screen, remove any search filters, then click search.

Ex - http://i.imgur.com/RqyTdqQ.png

Then under Accounts on the left, the virus account will show up.

I have no idea why they don't have a system account section under the management section (WHICH WOULD MAKE SENSE).

But you can right click the virus account under the search and click view mail. Your quarantined email will be there.

Thread Information