Thread: Non-Permanent Connection (UUCP at work)

marcdm is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Non-Permanent Connection (UUCP at work)

Hey Everyone,

I've finally got all the mail transferred into Zimbra successfully with the proper flags and dates and all. Now to the next problem.

first the questions (for the impatient) :
    1. Does anyone else here use UUCP with Zimbra
    2. If so, can anyone tell me why mail delivered to zimbra via UUCP has uucp as the sender?
    3. What modifications were made to the Zimbra version of Postfix, and why can't I use the one from the repositories (Yum/Apt - RH/Debian/etc)
    4. if not uucp, can anyone give suggestions on how to deliver mail securely to a sever behind a connection. Assume Postfix on the always-on server. Assume we're the admin of both servers.

Now the explanation
    My Zimbra server sits behind a firewall that is connected to a pair of ADSL lines that are about as reliable as an an Umbrella in a hurricane. To add insult to injury, everytime the connection goes down-then-up-again, I have a new IP address....

Solution, Another machine is the MX server. Prior to using Zimbra, I used postfix with UUCP to handle mail delivery. The MX Server (on the reliable interweb connection), would send all mail for domainx.com into a uucp spool. The mail server at the location (domainx.com) would poll for mail using uucico over ssh every 12 min.

Internal mail is delivered immediately, and external mail is queued for delivery during the uucico-over-ssh exchange.

Now on to my problem.... err, question... err, set of questions (again).

1. Does anyone else here use UUCP with Zimbra
    2. If so, can anyone tell me why mail delivered to zimbra via UUCP has uucp as the sender?
    3. What modifications were made to the Zimbra version of Postfix, and why can't I use the one from the repositories (Yum/Apt - RH/Debian/etc)
    4. if not uucp, can anyone give suggestions on how to deliver mail securely to a sever behind a connection. Assume Postfix on the always-on server. Assume we're the admin of both servers.

Thanks.

/Marc DM

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You'll have to humour me here, I don't know what UUCP is.

Postfix isn't 'modified' in Zimbra, it's just configured to our requirements. You shouldn't try to use any of the components that come with your o/s. Zimbra is supplied as a complete package.

As far as your connection goes, I'd suggest getting a dynamic DNS service that has a backup mail spool so that when your connection goes down it will queue the mail for you. When the connection is up again you can change your IP on the DNS server then mail will flow from the backup server. Although I have a fixed IP I do use an external DNS service that's quite good - www.easydns.com It's nice and easy to set-up and relatively inexpensive.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

marcdm is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra, Postfix, UUCP

UUCP which stands for Unix-to-Unix-CoPy goes back to the days of dial-up.

You can find more info about it here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP]

Setting up Postfix to use UUCP as a transport is documented here [http://www.postfix.org/UUCP_README.html]

The advantage of using UUCP-over-SSH as opposed to a backup-MX is that even when I'm online I still mail from the outside world to be delivered to the always-on host. And additionally, I want to reduce the amount of traffic sent over the wire randomly.

With the UUCP gateway, all local mail is delivered immediately, but outside mail is batch-delivered to the external-always-on-host which then handles the name resolutions and the SMTP conversations.

This way I don't lose messages because the connection failed during the transfer of a single message.

I've looked into using fetchmail, but that would require all sorts of mail mangling and hoop-jumping. The UUCP transfer behaves like a transaction, all or nothing.

So I guess, I'm on my own with this one. Off to the research place. I'll report my findings here.

tomer.out is offline Starter Member

Default @ ^^^

any luck setting up uucp with zimbra ??

Actually I need to send mail from uucp to postfix in zimbra ,any one want to put some light on this ??

Thread Information