Thread: Subdomains as throwaway addresses?

swimboy is offline New Member

Default Subdomains as throwaway addresses?

I'm setting up 4.5RC2 in hopes to migrate off of a couple of hodge-podge mail servers after 4.5 is released. I've run into one configuration issue that I can't seem to resolve on my own, however.

We currently use subdomains for throwaway addresses. For example, a user's main address is john@example.com. We set up a catchall address on the subdomain john.example.com, and he uses foo@john.example.com, bar@john.example.com, and baz@john.example.com as throwaway addresses. If he starts getting spam to bar@john.example.com, we just put that address in the reject list for the mta.

Is there any way to configure Zimbra similarly?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Zimbra 4.5 is released as GA.

Why not let the user create their own throwaway addresses, they can do it themselves by just creating an alias on their own mailboxes as john2@yourdomain.com, john3@ etc. or you could create a subdomain they could use if you prefer that idea. They can also use their own filters on those mailboxes and they can also remove the email alias when it's finished with.

With the anti-spam facilities in ZImbra you're not likely to see much spam anyway but there's also additional features you can add in such as RBL liste, also have a look in the wiki for whitelist/blacklist.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Dirk is offline Moderator

The users can make their own aliases? How?

I can do it for them in the admin console, and I know they can use email suffixes like username-randomtext@domain.com but I didnt know that, for instance a user with an address of john@domain.com could set an alias such as theboss@domain.com and recieve email sent to that address.

Am I misunderstanding something?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Am I misunderstanding something?
    No, you're not. I'm just being a bit dense today. I meant to say the admin could do it for him and the user could set the filters that he required on the mailbox.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

The issue is that in our current setup, the users are used to any address in their personal subdomain being routed to their inbox without specifying each one. We've been using this setup for a long time, and some users have hundreds of email addresses out there, and couldn't begin to list them all.

They're using these addresses the way you'd normally use the "+" in an address. For example, I may use zimbra@jeff.example.com for posting to this forum, so I can filter the replies appropriately (more commonly, people would use an address like jeff+zimbra@example.com for the same thing.)

In our current postfix setup, we just use the virtual file in the /etc/postfix folder with lines like this:

@jeff.example.com jeff@example.com
    @jon.example.com jon@example.com

I saw that zimbra pulls virtual domain info from the ldap database instead of the virtual file, so I figured that there's probably some way to get this information in there; but I'm no ldap guru, and I'm afraid to go poking around in parts of zimbra I don't understand.

anand is offline Zimbra Employee

swimboy, we do what you do with the virtual tables also, except out virtual tables are driven from LDAP. This is what you need:

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...a_Domain_Alias

But you are right, setting zimbraMtaRecipientDelimiter in globalConfig to "+" and then using jeff+amazon@example.com is probably the way to go. Fall back on alias domains until you can get people switched over (if you ever can).

Catch all addresses like @web.example.com are a major source of spam pain, but looks like you are already used/resigned to that.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thank you Anand, that's exactly what I needed.

Thread Information