Thread: Install Zimbra 8.0.4 on OpenVZ Proxmox 3.0

handaka is offline Starter Member

Default Install Zimbra 8.0.4 on OpenVZ Proxmox 3.0

excuse me,

Some days ago, I had installed zimbra 8.0.4 Open Source edition in my proxmox-ve version 3.0, i use openvz. I alocated resource like this:
    os = Ubuntu 12.04
    memory = 2 GB
    disk = 150 GB
    cpu = 2 core

but i have a problem. only in approximately 10 minutes up time, my zimbra machine has spend his alocated resource. when i monitoring the resource, the zimbra show that it has use:
    45 % of Disk, 90% of memory and 98% of cpu. even though at this time only one user that access the zimbra web client. and it happend in zimbra fresh install on openVZ.

any body can explain me, how the problem can happend? and what should i do to resolve the problem. help me, please
    Best Regards,
    handaka

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by handaka View Post
    any body can explain me, how the problem can happend?
    This isn't a problem. The minimum recommended resources for a ZCS 8.x install are at least 4GB or RAM and (about) 110GB of HD space - that's irrespective any how many users you currently have on the server. Did you read the System Requirements before installing Zimbra?

..and what should i do to resolve the problem.
    You need to add more resources to this server.

help me, please
    You can always find answers to question by using the Search function of the forums, most questions like this have been asked and answered many times.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

anishgs84 is offline New Member

Hi Handaka,

For installing Zimbra mail sever the VMWare recommending minimum 4 GB RAM for a normal speed. Once you increase the size of RAm and check the speed again.

With Regards
    Anish ... :-)

handaka is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This isn't a problem. The minimum recommended resources for a ZCS 8.x install are at least 4GB or RAM and (about) 110GB of HD space - that's irrespective any how many users you currently have on the server. Did you read the System Requirements before installing Zimbra?

You need to add more resources to this server.

You can always find answers to question by using the Search function of the forums, most questions like this have been asked and answered many times.
    Thanks for your reply. i have read the article, but I just install zimbra server for serve 25 access simultan via web interface. is it possible for me to install zcs 8.x.x with hardware specification likes above? and about the hdd capacity? I have allocated 150 GB from 110 GB minimum hdd recomended, but it still been full in less than 1 hour without any mail transaction. thanks.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Thanks for your reply. i have read the article, but I just install zimbra server for serve 25 access simultan via web interface. is it possible for me to install zcs 8.x.x with hardware specification likes above?
    No, it won't run very well with that configuration and certainly not with twenty-five users. You need the recommended minimum 4GB of real RAM not on-demand.

and about the hdd capacity? I have allocated 150 GB from 110 GB minimum hdd recomended, but it still been full in less than 1 hour without any mail transaction. thanks.
    That isn't normal, ZCS will only use disk space when nail is coming into the system. I'd suggest you investigate what is consuming that disk space.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

slickdakine is offline Junior Member

Hi there,

I spent several weeks getting Zimbra to work in OpenVZ on Ubuntu 12.04 on a sever with 3GB of ram. I've been able to get it working and stable!
    The disk space is filling up because of errors that are being recorded in /opt/zimbra/zmstat/zmstat.out
    The errors are being caused by a bug in the current version of sysstats for Ubuntu 12.04. From what I understand, anyone using Ubuntu 12.04 should be having this problem.

Here is the fix:
    #Use an older version of sysstats.
    #Download LUCID version here with wget:
    wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....6-2_amd64.deb
    #Remove the older version:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge sysstats
    #Install newer version:
    sudo dpkg -i sysstat_9.0.6-2_amd64.deb

#After installed Lock package from upgrades:
    sudo apt-mark hold sysstas

#In the future, once the bug has been fixed with the standard version of sysstats for 12.04, you can remove the hold on upgrading it with:
    sudo apt-mark unhold sysstats

I found the answer here:
    Use of uninitialized value $line in pattern match (m//) at /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstat

I had to also make several tweaks in order for it to run in 3GB of memory. They should also work for 2GB.
    Here are the Tweaks I had to do to get it to run in OpenVZ:

#You need to remove anything that has to do with sendmail and apache before installing, as I had several problems with apache conflicts:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge apache2 apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common bind9 bind9-host bind9utils sendmail sendmail-base sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sendmail-doc-sensitive mda rmail samba bsd-mailx

#Install Dependancies:
    sudo apt-get install netcat-openbsd libgmp3c2 sysstat sqlite3 pax

#Install Zimbra

#Once installed, shutdown all services:
    sudo su zimbra
    zmcontrol stop

#As Root:
    su root

#In /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in (and amavisd.conf) edit and change $max_servers = 2 from the default of 10.
    $max_servers = 2; # number of pre-forked children (2..15 is common)

#Also reduce the number of connections in /opt/zimbra/conf/my.cnf
    thread_cache_size = 30
    max_connections = 30

#As zimbra:
    su zimbra
    #If there are only a couple of active mailboxes reduce the ram footprint for mailboxd.
    zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_heap_size=768
    #and fix SQL:
    zmlocalconfig -e mysql_memory_percent=15

#When done:
    zmcontrol restart

I found this info here:
    Zimbra in a small box - atp

Hope thats of some help! The only problem I'm having now is "localhost" and "127.0.0.1" is injected into the headers of my emails. This is causing them to be marked spam by a lot of services. From what I understand, most Zimbra installs do this...

Thread Information