Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra 8 and java heap with few other problems

kiribool is offline Member

Default Zimbra 8 and java heap with few other problems

Hi all,
    I use 8.0.4.GA.5737.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition on virtual machine by ESXi 5.1. 5GB RAM. 40 users.
    Imap, imaps, pop3 and pop3s are configured with proxy.
    My Java config:
    Code:
    zmlocalconfig | grep -i java
    defang_av_javascript = javascript
    javamail_imap_debug = false
    javamail_imap_enable_starttls = true
    javamail_imap_test_timeout = 20
    javamail_imap_timeout = 60
    javamail_pop3_debug = false
    javamail_pop3_enable_starttls = true
    javamail_pop3_test_timeout = 20
    javamail_pop3_timeout = 60
    javamail_smtp_debug = false
    javamail_smtp_enable_starttls = true
    javamail_smtp_timeout = 60
    javamail_zparser = true
    javamail_zsmtp = true
    mailboxd_java_heap_new_size_percent = 25
    mailboxd_java_heap_size = 1024
    mailboxd_java_options = -server -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=${networkaddress_cache_ttl} -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.disablejsr199=true -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=350m -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
    mailboxd_truststore = /opt/zimbra/java/jre/lib/security/cacerts
    spnego_java_options = -Djava.security.krb5.conf=${mailboxd_directory}/etc/krb5.ini -Djava.security.auth.login.config=${mailboxd_directory}/etc/spnego.conf -Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false
    zimbra_java_home = /opt/zimbra/java
    zimbra_java_path = java
    zimbra_zmjava_java_ext_dirs =
    zimbra_zmjava_java_library_path =
    zimbra_zmjava_options = -Xmx1024m
    Also, I turnoff ldap internal security:
    Code:
     zmlocalconfig | grep -i zimbra_require_interprocess_security
    zimbra_require_interprocess_security = 0
    Periodically, zimbra no responding and in the /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log I see these messages:
    Code:
    2013-08-06 11:36:16,721 ERROR [ImapServer-3] [name=mail@example.com;mid=4;ip=1.1.1.1;oip=3.3.3.3;via=1.1.1.1(nginx/1.2.0-zimbra);ua=Zimbra/8.0.4_GA_5737;] imap - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.<init>(HeapByteBuffer.java:57)
            at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocate(ByteBuffer.java:331)
            at org.apache.mina.core.buffer.SimpleBufferAllocator.allocateNioBuffer(SimpleBufferAllocator.java:44)
            at org.apache.mina.core.buffer.SimpleBufferAllocator.allocate(SimpleBufferAllocator.java:36)
            at org.apache.mina.core.buffer.IoBuffer.allocate(IoBuffer.java:227)
            at org.apache.mina.core.buffer.IoBuffer.allocate(IoBuffer.java:210)
    or
    Code:
    2013-08-06 10:35:06,966 ERROR [ImapServer-1918] [name=mail1@example.com;mid=61;ip=1.1.1.1;oip=2.2.2.2;via=1.1.1.1(nginx/1.2.0-zimbra);ua=Zimbra/8.0.4_GA_5737;] imap - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    After that, I restart all zimbra services. After restart, thunderbird clients can't authorize in imap server.
    At this time in the nginx.log:
    Code:
    2013/08/06 11:44:35 [info] 2958#0: *122 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while connecting to upstream, client: 2.2.2.2, server: 0.0.0.0:993, login: "mail1@example.com", upstream: 1.1.1.1:7143 (2.2.2.2:39949-1.1.1.1:993) <=> (1.1.1.1:35972-1.1.1.1:7143)
    After next restart all zimbra services all work.

What can I do for solution of these problems?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by kiribool; 08-06-2013 at 02:37 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kiribool View Post
    I use 8.0.4.GA.5737.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition on virtual machine by ESXi 5.1. 5GB RAM. 40 users.
    Have you tried increasing the RAM for this VM? How much installed RAM does this server have?What other VMs run on this hardware?

Imap, imaps, pop3 and pop3s are configured with proxy.
    Why do you have the proxy installed? It's not necessary on a single server.

Also, I turnoff ldap internal security:
    Why have you done that, what advantage do you think it gives you?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for your reply.
    Have you tried increasing the RAM for this VM? How much installed RAM does this server have?What other VMs run on this hardware?
    I increase before this post on 1Gb. Now 5Gb RAM. In this physical server running a lot of small VMs, such as windows 7, windows servers, linux.

Why do you have the proxy installed? It's not necessary on a single server.
    I thought that the enabling proxy will reduce the load on the imap and pop3 server. Am I wrong?

Why have you done that, what advantage do you think it gives you?
    In this article Performance Tuning Guidelines for Large Deployments - Zimbra :: Wiki I read this:
    The default configuration is zimbra_require_interprocess_security=1, which will force mailboxd to use LDAP STARTTLS for all LDAP queries. This is good for security, but will hurt performance in a large environment. STARTTLS requires more resources/processing, but more importantly - JNDI is inefficient with LDAP STARTTLS connections, because it uses individual new connections for each LDAP request rather than connections out of the LDAP connection pool. As long as your internal network is "trusted", there is generally no reason to use encrypted LDAP requests, since these requests are only on the internal protected network and not accessible to external users. Setting this to 0 is recommended if acceptable from an internal security perspective.
    Am I wrong again?

I increase before this post on 1Gb. Now 5Gb RAM. In this physical server running a lot of small VMs, such as windows 7, windows servers, linux.
    You didn't tell me how much RAM is on your ESXi server nor exactly how many VMs you have.

I thought that the enabling proxy will reduce the load on the imap and pop3 server. Am I wrong?
    On a single server it will give you no benefit.

In this article Performance Tuning Guidelines for Large Deployments - Zimbra :: Wiki I read this:

Am I wrong again?
    Indeed it does but you don't have a 'large deployment', yours is a relatively small server but having it disabled will do no harm.

How often is this problem happening? Has it just started or has it been happening for a while? What's the load on your server just before the problem happens i.e. how many users are online to Zimbra; are they all IMAP users or using the ZCS Web UI?
    Regards

Bill

You didn't tell me how much RAM is on your ESXi server nor exactly how many VMs you have.
    Total RAM on physical server is 32Gb
    Total VMs is 12
    How often is this problem happening? Has it just started or has it been happening for a while? What's the load on your server just before the problem happens i.e. how many users are online to Zimbra; are they all IMAP users or using the ZCS Web UI?
    The problem happens about twice a week (every week). Later I use zimbra 7 on ubuntu 10.04 on same VM. These symptoms were absent. After upgrade zimbra and OS the problem happens. For example, now server is work fine and load:
    CPU: from 0% to 50%
    RAM: 2Gb
    30 users IMAP & Web UI, 5 only WEB UI, 5 only pop3.
    Thank you.

I noticed that yesterday and today, an error occurred on the same user. User have IMAP connection Outlook 2013.
    /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log:
    Code:
    2013-08-07 13:03:15,381 ERROR [ImapServer-342] [name=mail1@example.com;mid=61;ip=1.1.1.1;oip=2.2.2.2;via=1.1.1.1(nginx/1.2.0-zimbra);ua=Zimbra/8.0.4_GA_5737;] imap - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
            at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.<init>(HeapByteBuffer.java:57)
            at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocate(ByteBuffer.java:331)
            at org.apache.mina.core.buffer.SimpleBufferAllocator.allocateNioBuffer(SimpleBufferAllocator.java:44)
            at org.apache.mina.core.buffer.SimpleBufferAllocator.allocate(SimpleBufferAllocator.java:36)
            at org.apache.mina.core.buffer.IoBuffer.allocate(IoBuffer.java:227)
            at org.apache.mina.core.buffer.IoBuffer.allocate(IoBuffer.java:210)
            at com.zimbra.cs.server.NioOutputStream.flush(NioOutputStream.java:79)
            at com.zimbra.cs.server.NioOutputStream.write(NioOutputStream.java:46)
            at com.zimbra.common.util.ByteUtil.copy(ByteUtil.java:724)
            at com.zimbra.common.util.ByteUtil.copy(ByteUtil.java:696)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapPartSpecifier.write(ImapPartSpecifier.java:170)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.fetch(ImapHandler.java:3737)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.doFETCH(ImapHandler.java:3558)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.executeRequest(ImapHandler.java:506)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.NioImapHandler.processRequest(NioImapHandler.java:124)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.NioImapHandler.messageReceived(NioImapHandler.java:61)
            at com.zimbra.cs.server.NioHandlerDispatcher.messageReceived(NioHandlerDispatcher.java:88)
            at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:716)
            at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:434)
            at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.access$1200(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:46)
            at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:796)
            at com.zimbra.cs.server.NioLoggingFilter.messageReceived(NioLoggingFilter.java:60)
            at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:434)
            at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.access$1200(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:46)
            at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:796)
            at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.IoFilterEvent.fire(IoFilterEvent.java:75)
            at org.apache.mina.core.session.IoEvent.run(IoEvent.java:63)
            at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:780)
            at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTasks(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:772)
            at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:714)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

I was wrong that problem happens twice a week, it happens every day. What can you advice me about Java heap?
    Thanks a lot.

The problem happens about twice a week (every week). Later I use zimbra 7 on ubuntu 10.04 on same VM.
    Did you upgrade Ubuntu from 10.04 to 12.04 on the Zimbra server? If that's the case, this 'upgrade problem' seems to be a recurring theme (search the forums for further details) with Ubuntu running Zimbra. The only two things I can suggest are to file a bug report with exact details of the problem including the fact you upgraded Ubuntu or do a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 and move your ZCS install to that new VM.

These symptoms were absent. After upgrade zimbra and OS the problem happens. For example, now server is work fine and load:
    CPU: from 0% to 50%
    RAM: 2Gb
    30 users IMAP & Web UI, 5 only WEB UI, 5 only pop3.
    Those figures are what I'd expect, however, 2GB is below the recommended minimum for a production server and certainly less than ZCS 8 would need.
    Regards

Bill

Did you upgrade Ubuntu from 10.04 to 12.04 on the Zimbra server?
    Yes I did.
    You want to say that I move zimbra to fresh install Ubuntu 12.04 problem is solved? Or just for test?

You want to say that I move zimbra to fresh install Ubuntu 12.04 problem is solved? Or just for test?
    Yes, I believe the problem will go away if you move to a clean install. I would always recommend a clean install for ZCS and just because you can upgrade the OS doesn't mean you should, many distributions recommend you never do that type of upgrade for important servers. As I mentioned above, take a look at some of the other threads on this topic, it seems to be problematic with upgrades of Ubuntu and in these circumstances (particularly, running in a VM) some users get this problem. My advice is just that, you're free to ignore it and it comes with no guarantee and you you're free to file a bug report and follow through with your current installation.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information