Thread: Archive account license for deleted user accounts

dmthompson is offline Starter Member

Default Archive account license for deleted user accounts

We are running Zimbra NE 7.2 on Linux. Licensing question for you, one I have already posed to our account manager and only received links to the documentation that were already combed through.
    Scenario:
    We have accounts that are to be deleted, the users having departed. This would free up a user account license. But what about the Archive License? Based on my reading I think the Archive license is still consumed until that archive is deleted. So should we wish to regain the license we would need to save off the archive (to be kept for legal and historical retention purposes) to another location then delete it from the server to free up the Archive license. If we needed to access the Archived files we would then create a user and restore the Archive.
    Please confirm /correct my assessment or point me in the right direction. Much appreciated as my boss is seeking confirmation of this question since neither of us has ever dealt with Zimbra before and he has to sign off on the upcoming licensing renewal that he inherited and he wishes to be sure it is right for us.

prashant is offline Zimbra Employee

From your description, your approach seems to be correct. Before going ahead, please do some basic verification whether you will able to restore archived account(from the backup you took at some other location) once it is deleted.
    ~=Prashant=~

dmthompson is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by prashant View Post
    From your description, your approach seems to be correct. Before going ahead, please do some basic verification whether you will able to restore archived account(from the backup you took at some other location) once it is deleted.
    Thank you prashant. Do you also concur with my assessment of how the licensing works as well?

prashant is offline Zimbra Employee

Yes I have similar thought on how licensing works. If I am not wrong there are two licenses being used for account. One is regular account license and other is archiving license. If you delete only account then one license get free(visible on mailboxd restart). To get archiving license free, you need to delete that as well. Expecting that we are on same page.
    ~=Prashant=~

Thread Information