Thread: Sendmail issue with cron output on Ubuntu "(No MTA installed, discarding output)"

Mannekino is offline Junior Member

Default Sendmail issue with cron output on Ubuntu "(No MTA installed, discarding output)"

Hi,

I've been having some issues with sending mail from and to the root account on my Zimbra server (for example the output of cron jobs and other application e.g. firewall notifications).

I found that the regular sendmail functionality is broken by default I managed to fix this by following these instructions. However I am still experiencing issues with the output of cron jobs.

I created a test script that generates some output to see what the problem is and I get the following error message in my "/var/log/syslog" file.

Code:
    Jun 29 13:55:01 zimbra CRON[30581]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
    When I send mail from the command line using the following snippet it does get sent correctly. It didn't work before but after applying the tutorial mentioned above it worked.

Code:
    echo "Testing 1 2 3" | mail -s "Test mail message" root
    I also configured the "/opt/zimbra/postfix-2.10.0.2z/conf/aliases" file to point the "root" alias to the mail address where I want to receive these types of messages on.

I am running the latest LTS of Ubuntu (12.04.2). Does anybody know how I can fix this issue?

Kind regards,

Mannekino

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Your post is in the Installation forum, this forum is for questions about installing Zimbra, Your question is not about that so I'll move it to the correct forum, please post your questions in the correct forum.

This question is also not about Zimbra, try some of the answers from an internet search.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Mannekino is offline Junior Member

Well, it has to do with the way you can get the local sendmail functionality working on a Zimbra server. It's part an OS question and part a Zimbra question. I figured the most success for solving my problem would be on the Zimbra forums instead of the Ubuntu forums. I know it has to do something with the "update-alternatives" command but I can't quite figure out how to fix it.

Thank for moving my thread to the correct sub-forum.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mannekino View Post
    Well, it has to do with the way you can get the local sendmail functionality working on a Zimbra server. It's part an OS question and part a Zimbra question.
    No, it's completely a question about your OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannekino View Post
    I know it has to do something with the "update-alternatives" command but I can't quite figure out how to fix it.
    Did you actually look at the link I gave you?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information