Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: server.domain.net hostname does not resolve to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

anderson.deda is offline Member

Default server.domain.net hostname does not resolve to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Hello everyone good night.
    Now appreciate any help from you, thank you very much for real.
    I'm using zimbra less than two months and I'm running into some details and drawbacks and do not know how to solve them. Today I use one in serveraxis.com vps, vps that has 4GB of memory and installed "Ubuntu Linux 4.12 x86_64", I use the open source version 8.0.3.
    Well with this information I believe you can already get an idea of what I'm using.
    The problem is the following ... first problem, sometimes when sending emails (webmail) these tend to take a long time to be delivered at the click send almost instanteamente already shows that it was sent, but the user takes to receive it.
    Another problem is the following, the daily report that I receive at the very end have the following information

"Warnings
    --------
    ** smtpd (total: 37)
    ******** 18 server.domain.net hostname does not resolve to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx "

This is already causing some problems, could you please help me solve these two issues?

Thank you!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by anderson.deda View Post
    "Warnings
    --------
    ** smtpd (total: 37)
    ******** 18 server.domain.net hostname does not resolve to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx "

This is already causing some problems, could you please help me solve these two issues?
    Not really because you've obfuscated the output (i.e. removed all useful information) it's impossible to tell to which server the warning applies, it's most likely caused by no reverse DNS record and you need to verify and correct that. For your first problem you've also given no useful information about the error nor your configuration but I'd guess you have another DNS problem of some sort. Neither of these are Zimbra problems, you need valid DNS A & MX records plus correct /etc/hosts & resolv.conf files and if you're behind a NAT router (or firewall) a Splt DNS configured (see the wiki artilce or search the forums for details).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Come on, I'll post here the logistics of hosting for you.
    The zimbra is installed on the server and this server is installed with the bind9, but I'm forwarding DNS queries to the DNS servers of google "8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4".
    I will now post my file "/etc/hosts"
    ::
    127.0.0.1 localhost.domain.net localhost
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain.net server

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    :::
    Now will resolv.conf

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4
    #ameserver 2607:f2e0::1:3:2

I think that important information is as follows, where we put the main domain is domain01.net, DNS management of this area is made on another computer directly in cPanel, I'm sure the reverse DNS is working correctly, I have done tests about it and always give me the information that is all right.
    This delay to deliver e-mails is not a rule, sometimes happens and sometimes does not, if I send an email now to my gmail account e-mail typically arrives in 2 or 3 seconds.
    Users have reported that even when sending e-mails between domain01.net and domain01.net a delay happens, but it happens sometimes and not always.
    As informed above do not yet have much experience with the administration of zimbra, any light is to solve the problem is very welcome.

Thank you once again

Your hosts file is incorrect, look at the Split DNS article (or the many forum threads on this subject) for the correct format. Other than the fact you've provided no further information no evidence about your DNS settings (merely saying 'they are correct' doesn't tell me anything) nor whether you're behind a NAT router or firewall, I have nothing further to add.
    Regards

Bill

This file hosts I had rewritten it based on information posted right here on the forum. Could you inform me somewhere for me to follow and assemble a file patterns?
    Regarding the reverse DNS, today the real domain name is arcamail.net with ip "208.82.99.124", the reverse is usually server.arcamail.net and is solving the tools that I consulted.
    The staff vps provider informed me that there is no firewall or anything else in front of vps, this ip "208.82.99.124" is setted directly on the board and no NAT.

No forum thread gives a the hosts file in the format you've used and I've already told where the information is for the correct format for that file. You should only have your local DNS server in the resolv.conf and BIND should forward anything for which it is not authoritative to external root servers (or ones of your choosing). Your server also answers to an EHLO with an incorrect hostname .
    Regards

Bill

phoenix really appreciate your attention to me to help me, my English is not very good and could not quite understand some things, let's party.

About the hosts file, you said that it is correct?
    Now referring to resolv.conf which would be the best setup? I had to remove something from there?
    You also commented that EHLO is wrong, could you tell me what would be the correct and where do I fix this? I go to the admin panel MTA option> HOST NAME MTA?

Again thank you

o configure the EHLO I USUARIA these commands?

zmprov mcf mail.mydomain.com zimbraMtaMyHostname
    zmcontrol stop && start zmcontrol

About the hosts file, you said that it is correct?
    No, I said it's still incorrect. The Verify section of the Split DNS article tells you the correct format of the resolv.conf and the /etc/hosts files. Take a look at that and post again if you don't understand it.

Now referring to resolv.conf which would be the best setup? I had to remove something from there?
    You need to have only the entry shown in the Split DNS article i.e. just the IP address of your LAN DNS server, any other DNS requests should get forwarded by your DNS server to the root DNS servers (they are specified in your DNS server config).

o configure the EHLO I USUARIA these commands?

zmprov mcf mail.mydomain.com zimbraMtaMyHostname
    zmcontrol stop && start zmcontrol
    Yes, that would be correct.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks for the reply.
    I read the guide you gave me and now I'm with some other questions regarding the DNS configuration.
    Today the zimbra server is not authorized to answer queries for the domain arcamail.net.
    Today I do it using another server with cPanel installed, it is much easier to setup and stability that my server is already proven, so if my current setup is the way I informed him I was in doubt in relation to the guide.
    I was more confused now and do not really know what would be the proper settings for the hosts and resolv.conf files.

I understand my /etc/hosts file would look like

127.0.0.1 localhost.arcamail.net localhost
    20 server.arcamail.net server

Referring to what you say:
    "You need to have only the entry shown in the Split DNS article i.e. just the IP address of your LAN DNS server, any other DNS requests should get forwarded by your DNS server to the root DNS servers (they are specified in your DNS server config)."

I just installed bind to route queries and nothing else, would not want the server zimbra answer any DNS query.
    Therefore resolv.conf is well

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4
    #ameserver 2607:f2e0::1:3:2

Now referring to EHLO.
    The command would look like?

zmprov mcf server.arcamail.net zimbraMtaMyHostname

What would this "zimbraMtaMyHostname" ?

Thank you again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information