Thread: Can send email, but cannot receive email.

zmgd is offline Junior Member

Default Can send email, but cannot receive email.

Brand new installation of a Turnkey Linux appliance of Zimbra...Release 5.0.18_GA_3011.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition. I did the initial setup configuring the firewall, added a domain, and users. I can send email to the outside world, but I cannot receive email from the outside world. As well, if I try to send an email from Zimbra's CLI, it also fails whether or not I send it to the default example.com domain or my domain...which in this post I changed to mydomain.com

External DNS is working properly, because I get a bounce back from Zimbra.

"This is the mail system at host mail.example.com.
    I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
    For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
    If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.
    The mail system
    <murray@mydomain.com>: Host or domain name not found. Name service error
    for name=mail.example.com type=A: Host not found

Final-Recipient: rfc822; murray@mydomain.com
    Original-Recipient: rfc822;murray@mydomain.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Host or domain name not found. Name service error
    for name=mail.example.com type=A: Host not found

I can issue the following commands and get correct responses:
    root@zimbra:/# host -t mx mydomain.com
    mydomain.com MX 10 mail.mydomain.com

root@zimbra:/# host -t a mail.mydomain.com
    mail.mydomain.com A 123.123.124.124

But...
    root@zimbra:/# host mydomain.com
    mydomain.com A record currently not present

I get similar correct results if I issue the commands: dig mydomain.com and dig mydomain.com mx.

My /etc/hosts file is:
    127.0.0.1 localhost mail.example.com
    123.123.124.124 mail.mydomain.com mail
    127.0.1.1 zimbra

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

This isn't a question about installing Zimbra (which is where you've posted) so I'll move it to the correct forums.

Quote Originally Posted by zmgd View Post
    But...
    root@zimbra:/# host mydomain.com
    mydomain.com A record currently not present

I get similar correct results if I issue the commands: dig mydomain.com and dig mydomain.com mx.

My /etc/hosts file is:
    123.123.124.124 mail.mydomain.com mail
    127.0.1.1 zimbra

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    All the information you've posted shows you do not have correct DNS records and your hosts file is incorrect and you've also not provided the output of some of the commands you've run, when posting diagnostic information you should give the exact commands & their output. You've also not said whether this server is on a public IP or behind a NAT router (or firewall), I'd suggest you read the wiki article (and the many forum threads on this topic) on Split DNS - if you're not behind a NAT router then those instructions still apply with the obvious change of using a Puclic IP in place of the LAN IP.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Brand new installation of a Turnkey Linux appliance of Zimbra...
    BTW, you do realise that this version of Zimbra is very old, don't you? I'd suggest you install an operating system of your choice then the current ZCS 8.x version of Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks, Bill, for placing my post in the appropriate forum and for responding to my request for help. I spent considerable time at the CLI, looking at config files and reading the wiki and other sites related to Zimbra...berfore I posted. I guessed my issue is with the /etc/hosts file. My DNS is not incorrect, as mail hits the email server, but gets dropped by postfix.

My system is directly connected to the Internet. It is not NATed. Yes, I realise that the version is quite old. This is my first attempt at building a Zimbra system, so I wanted to use an application/appliance to simplify the setup and install. That is why I chose the Turnkey Linux build. My other limitation is that my hardware is 32-bit, so the latest version that I can install is: zcs-7.2.4_GA_2900.UBUNTU8.20130523110956.tgz. I am doing this build as a home project to host email for a couple of domains that I host in the cloud. The email traffic would not be high. I will follow your suggestion and do an upgrade to 7.2.4. BTW, the command information is complete. I only changed my public info: a one-to-one swap for realdomainname.com to mydomain.com. I am hesitant to post on the cloud real information especially on a system that is partially configured. I will try an inline upgrade just for kicks and then do it properly from the ground up.

Thanks, Bill, for placing my post in the appropriate forum and for responding to my request for help. I spent considerable time at the CLI, looking at config files and reading the wiki and other sites related to Zimbra...berfore I posted. I guessed my issue is with the /etc/hosts file. My DNS is not incorrect, as mail hits the email server, but gets dropped by postfix.
    You didn't mention if this server is behind a firewall? If it is you'll still need a Split DNS. Read the article for details of what you need in the hosts file, us e that example and don't add other than the lines required. You also mentioned that there's no DNS A record, you need one. You do need to give the command and the output it gives rather than just "I get similar correct results" - that tells us nothing and can't be confirmed by anyone here.
    Regards

Bill

Sorry, I thought when I said my box wasn't NATed that it not being behind a firewall was understood. It is right on the edge with firewall rules at the moment permitting flow, but locking down port 80, 443, and ssh access to my remote IP addresses. I tried to upgrade and got an error message saying my hosts file was wrong, so I am stalled at the moment. I continued to search and actually found sound previous posts by you, but I still can't get email to flow inwards. I am sorry, but I must be blind. In your previous post you say, "Read the article for details of what you need in the hosts file,". What article? I am also providing my actual hosts and resolv.conf files.

Murray

root@zimbra:/# cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.1.1 zimbra
    127.0.0.1 mail.westcoasteden.com mail

#Required for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    root@zimbra:/# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 64.59.160.13
    nameserver 64.59.161.68
    search gv.shawcable.net

What article?
    The wiki article on Split DNS, that will tell you what's needed.
    Regards

Bill

Life is good, thank you, Bill. So, here is what worked...
    /etc/dnsmasg.conf...I put in Google's dns plus my ISP's dns. During the install, I just left the domain at example.com instead of choosing one of my own. Duh!
    server=8.8.8.8
    server=64.59.160.13
    server=64.59.161.68
    domain=example.com
    mx-host=example.com,mail.example.com,5
    listen-address=127.0.0.1

root@zimbra:/etc# cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    127.0.1.1 zimbra
    127.0.0.1 mail.example.com mail

root@zimbra:/etc# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    search example.com gv.shawcable.net

However, this file is regenerated every time you restart dnsmasq. Since my Internet connection is dynamic, it gets overwritten each time with only:
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    search gv.shawcable.net

Therefore, I had to add "search example.com" to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base...which was initially just an empty file. So, with that addition, when I restart dnsmasq or restart the resolver "resolvconf -u", example.com is prepended to the search line as shown above.

Thanks again, Bill, for your patience in guiding me to get a working Zimbra installation. Now, I might as well go ahead and try an upgrade to 7.24.

Thread Information