Thread: "Cold" recovery without script - just plain directory

juergenmw is offline Active Member

Default "Cold" recovery without script - just plain directory

Hi

Due to a hardware crash I have to reinstall Zimbra (8.03 Opensource) - I've a "plain" file based backup which was basically just a rsync of /opt/zimbra.
    So I did not use any migration tool or hot backup script so far. I can not just copy it to the new server since a few files might be missing. The rsync failed from time to time due to hardware problem which also killed my "normal" backup.

I'd highly appreciate info on which files are mandatory to recover all domains, mailboxes, users and settings. So far I ensured that I've a copy of "store" what else is needed and what is the strategy to get the system up and running again in this specific case.

Thanks in advance!!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

This subject has been covered many times in the forums and there are several pages in the wiki on Backup & Restore and Disaster Recovery (plus details of moving ZCS to a new server). You need a full backup of the /opt/zimbra directory structure and the same ZCS version (for the new server) to effect a recovery of your current failed system. If none of those are applicable then you may get away with importing the mail to a new server, search the forum and wiki for the word "zmlmtpinject", there's description of it and a script in the forums that also fixes the received dates (IIRC) in the mail.

I'd think that trying to recover a ZCS server from a failed rsync would be next to impossible. My suggestion would be to try that first and if you have problem then recover your server from the last good backup then use zmlmtpinject to recover the most recent email from your failed server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

juergenmw is offline Active Member

Thanks Bill

I've migrated from Debian to Ubuntu, from 32 to 64 bit and so on already and I know the basic procedure.
    Since it is very time consuming (if not impossible) to sync all files from my damaged installation it would be very helpful to know which files are really really really needed.

I'd assume store/* conf/* and parts (or all) of data. Problem is once I THINK that I am done I have no more chance to fetch the one uber-important file I forgot.

BR and thanks for your patience

Thread Information