Thread: Daily Mail Report discrepancy

jobe is online now Senior Member

Default Daily Mail Report discrepancy

Hi everybody,
    I was having a look at the daily mail report sent to the admin account, and I found that there is always a discrepancy in the total count of sent/received messages to our domain. The grand totals tells that 16747 messages were received and 31069 delivered; the most "sent to" domain (Host/Domain Summary: Message Delivery table) is our domain with 22386 mails, that is also the most "received from" (Host/Domain Summary: Messages Received table) too, but only with 4366. Why there is such difference? The number of emails sent to and received from our domain should not be equal?
    Thank you in advance

portscanner is offline Active Member

I have had the same question, and with a bit of digging, I have found the answer

If I send you an email - it will be logged as one email received and one email delivered.

If I send you an email and CC your co-worker - it will be logged as one email received - BUT two emails delivered - one for you and one for your co-worker.

If you send me an email and CC your co-worker - again it is one received and two delivered

Basically - received = number of emails the SMTP server(s) receive (inbound to the SMTP server). delivered = the number of emails your SMTP server(s) send out (outbound from the SMTP server).

The tool used to generate the report is pflogsumm. Refer to the following link for a description and explanation of the values in the report.

http://jimsun.linxnet.com/downloads/pflogsumm-faq.txt

Quote Originally Posted by portscanner View Post
    I have had the same question, and with a bit of digging, I have found the answer

If I send you an email - it will be logged as one email received and one email delivered.

If I send you an email and CC your co-worker - it will be logged as one email received - BUT two emails delivered - one for you and one for your co-worker.

If you send me an email and CC your co-worker - again it is one received and two delivered

Basically - received = number of emails the SMTP server(s) receive (inbound to the SMTP server). delivered = the number of emails your SMTP server(s) send out (outbound from the SMTP server).

The tool used to generate the report is pflogsumm. Refer to the following link for a description and explanation of the values in the report.

http://jimsun.linxnet.com/downloads/pflogsumm-faq.txt
    Thank you for the answer If I understand correctly the counting of emails works this way:
    I compose a mail and put you in "To:" field, and my colleague in "CC:", then I click on "send" so the email is delivered to my SMTP server, that puts a +1 in the received grand total; then the SMTP server "reads" the "To:" and "CC:" fields and sends two emails, to you and my colleague, so he puts a +2 on the delivered grand total. Is it right?
    So I think that the result would be the same if I put both you and my colleague in "To:" field?

portscanner is offline Active Member

That is correct

Thanks again. You solved a mistery!

Thread Information