Thread: Method of archiving old email

kilrathi is offline Member

Default Method of archiving old email

I've been digging through the forums and wiki looking for a solution that fits exactly what we need. I just need a shove in the right direction.

We have 1 Zimbra Server (Network Edition v6). The mail store has grown to almost 2TB. I am looking for a way to archive my users email to a offline location. I know HSM can move the mail to a different mail store. I'm looking to move it to tape, CD, or just a network share that isn't readily available to my users. My goal is to shrink my mail store without losing my users old email. I am looking to copy my email server to a different location and I need to do this with no more than 2 days downtime. With the equipment I have its just not possible to move that kind of data to a local storage device, transport it to my new location, and copy it back in less than 2 days time. The internet connection between my current location and my new location is dismally slow. There must be a way to do this that's just evading me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

lytledd is offline Elite Member

You may want to try to do what we do for archival purposes.

We have another computer running OSE, when an account is closed, I export the account as a tar.gz file, and then import it to the OSE box before removing the account off of our NE box.

You could pick the largest accounts that you have for archiving, export them. Move them to the OSE box and then from the Zimbra command line, start doing mass purges on specific folders.

Another option would be, if they're using Outlook, to use the built-in archiving facility of Outlook and archive to a local folder on their machine.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Thread Information