Thread: Deferred mail queue shows: Updated: 12/31/1969 and no messages show up.

doc_777 is offline Junior Member

Question Deferred mail queue shows: Updated: 12/31/1969 and no messages show up.

Hello everyone. I have a strange issue where after rebooting a zimbra server running zimbra 8.02 OSE on Ubuntu x64 12.04.LTS the mail queue shows Updated: 12/31/1969 and no messages show up. The tab shows 3385 messages in the queue but they do not show in the panel.

I have wrestled with it a week now. The date on the server is correct.

Yesterday I upgraded Zimbra to the latest 8.03 OSE release, but it did the same thing.

I ran fixperms and it did the same thing. I followed this guide: Mail Queue Monitoring - Zimbra :: Wiki

But the perms and keys seem fine. When you click "refresh" the zimbra log file shows:

Apr 25 10:20:23 mx1 sshd[28223]: Accepted publickey for zimbra from x.x.x.x port 33574 ssh2
    Apr 25 10:20:27 mx1 sshd[28480]: Received disconnect from x.x.x.x: 11: Closed due to user request.

I cannot find anything wrong with the system, but the queue does not show. When you manually run postqueue -p in a terminal it displays all the messages properly.

The other post that I found on here about this was about running mem-cache but we do not have that enabled.

zmcontrol status:
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    spell Running
    stats Running
    zmconfigd Running

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

Any clues? It would be nice to be able to see the message queue. The upgrade to 8.03 did not fix this. I do not want to have to start completely back over with another server just to see this happen again.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Did you try any of the solutions from the forums for this error?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Did you try any of the solutions from the forums for this error?
    All those links are for the public key failing. My key is being accepted as far as I can tell. The server works fine, the admin panel queue manager does not show the messages, and the date it refreshed was 1969.

Postfix cli shows the queue fine. Just not the admin interface. An upgrade, and fixperms did not fix it.

Here is a screen shot: Screen Shot 2013-04-26 at 1.23.47 PM.jpg
    Last edited by doc_777; 04-26-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Anyone ever saw this, as in the screen shot above? ^^^

I would really like to fix it rather than starting completely back over and losing all mail and settings. If I migrate it over to another machine the bug comes with it.

nwcon is offline Member

This has been plaguing us for quite some time as well. Our issue is clearly NOT an issue with ssh keys, and I've been able to track down part of the problem to 'restricted commands' allowed to run over an ssh session.

Since other users systems seem to be running fine (mail queues actually show messages), I'm guessing this issue is a side effect from upgrading over the last few years.

We're running a four server setup (NE 7.2.4_GA_2900.RHEL6_64_20130523111005): 1) an MTA server, 2) a mailbox server, 3) an ldap server, and 3) an archive server. The mailbox server is used for admin panel access.

When viewing mail queues in the admin panel, the mailbox server communicates with the MTA server via ssh. However, it appears that the command being ran over ssh is not allowed by /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmrcd. If I remove 'command="/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmrcd" ' from the authorized_keys file for the zimbra user (/opt/zimbra/.ssh/authorized_keys) for the mailbox server entry, I can then see messages in the Incoming mail queue in the zimbra admin panel. However, messages in the Deferred queue still don't show up, and the date listed is 12/31/1969. This feels like a permissions issue, but the postfix directories (incoming and deferred) appear to have the same permissions.

This clearly looks like a bug, but I can't say for sure. Anyway, I'll keep digging and post anything I find. Hopefully, this helps some of you out there!

Cheers,

nwcon
    Last edited by nwcon; 10-16-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: misinformation

nwcon is offline Member

I've been able to determine that the zimbra user on the mailbox server can successfully run both zmqstat commands (for incoming and deferred) over ssh on the MTA server i.e.

As zimbra user on mailbox server, these work:

[zimbra@mbserver ~]$ ssh -i .ssh/zimbra_identity mta.domain.com "sudo /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmqstat incoming"
    [zimbra@mbserver ~]$ ssh -i .ssh/zimbra_identity mta.domain.com "sudo /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmqstat deferred"

Not sure why the returned data is problematic, but I also remember an interesting piece of information from a while back. I recall that when one of the mail queues had a lot of messages, the admin panel had troubles displaying message and showed the 12/31/1969 date. Once the number of messages in that queue decreased to a smaller number (I'm guessing here...around 20 messages or so), the admin panel displayed messages correctly.

Maybe this issue occurs when the number of messages in a queue is over some threshold???

Regards,

nwcon

Thread Information