Thread: finding undelivered admin emails

SalmonsSteve is offline Intermediate Member

Default finding undelivered admin emails

We run a number of different servers in my office. We have set them to use our zimbra server as the smtp server for delivery of admin messages. On our zimbra server we have also added an alias domain. The Zimbra server FQDN is mailserv@domain.local, the alias domain is mailserv.domain.local (because we found that cron jobs on the mailserv send from cron@mailserv.domain.local). The alias domain points mailserv.domain.local to domain.local. We have also setup aliases for root@domain.local->admin.domain.local, cron@domain.local->admin@domain.local, postmaster@domain.local->admin@domain.local... etc. In our daily admin email there are typically about 50 messages received by the alias domain. Unfortunately, there are typically only about 6 emails in the admin@domain.local mailbox. I have to assume this points towards something being setup improperly but I have no idea where to start looking. It would be a great benefit to find the emails that are not being delivered by the server. Unfortunately I don't know if this is possible and if it is where those messages would be stored. I'm sure that I can fix the way servers are sending mail but I'd prefer to see which ones need to be fixed and know for sure what I am fixing before I just go off jacking with settings hoping that tomorrow I receive more of the emails that I'm expecting.

Does anybody have any suggestions on places to start? The logs are long each day and to be honest I have no idea what terms I should grep for.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonsSteve View Post
    We run a number of different servers in my office. We have set them to use our zimbra server as the smtp server for delivery of admin messages. On our zimbra server we have also added an alias domain. The Zimbra server FQDN is mailserv@domain.local,
    That's an email address not an FQDN but I geuss you know that and it's a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonsSteve View Post
    the alias domain is mailserv.domain.local (because we found that cron jobs on the mailserv send from cron@mailserv.domain.local). The alias domain points mailserv.domain.local to domain.local. We have also setup aliases for root@domain.local->admin.domain.local, cron@domain.local->admin@domain.local, postmaster@domain.local->admin@domain.local... etc. In our daily admin email there are typically about 50 messages received by the alias domain. Unfortunately, there are typically only about 6 emails in the admin@domain.local mailbox. I have to assume this points towards something being setup improperly but I have no idea where to start looking. It would be a great benefit to find the emails that are not being delivered by the server. Unfortunately I don't know if this is possible and if it is where those messages would be stored. I'm sure that I can fix the way servers are sending mail but I'd prefer to see which ones need to be fixed and know for sure what I am fixing before I just go off jacking with settings hoping that tomorrow I receive more of the emails that I'm expecting.

Does anybody have any suggestions on places to start? The logs are long each day and to be honest I have no idea what terms I should grep for.
    Why don't you just fix the delivery address of email to the correct address in your primary domain (there's plenty of threads in the forums that show you how to find and set that address)? Why do you need an alias domain, is it just for this mail delivery 'problem'? Have you renamed the domain at some point in this server's lifetime? Have you considered using your correct (I assume, public domain name) on the Zimbra server? If mail isn't delivered to a mailbox you should find out what happened by searching the log files (or using zmmsgtrace) for it and/or looking in the deferred queue.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

SalmonsSteve is offline Intermediate Member

yes, yes, I meant for that to be a . not an @

ultimately I'd like to fix the delivery address on all these emails, the problem is that I can't find them in the logs so I'm having trouble hunting down where they are being originated.

We don't use the public domain name because our email is first routed through an external mail server (using the public domain name) hosted by our domain registrar. We then pull the mail down using fetchmail and use zimbra as more of a local repository/backup of the company email. I see it as just an added level of protection as their spam filters and virus scanners take care of quite a bit of junk. Zimbra still catches spam and virus laden attachments but not anywhere near as much as what has already been filtered out. Slowly but surely we're finding where in our systems these emails are coming from and getting the delivery addresses changed. I have looked through the logs a number of times and used grep to try to find the keywords that I am searching for but it just seems as though they are nowhere to be found. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong logs. There are very seldom any messages in our deferred queue, typically by the time I get the admin report in the morning any deferred messages have already been delivered. There are almost never any messages shown as rejected, bounced, or discarded.

Thread Information