Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Massive amount of emails sending from my email server

Solt is offline Active Member

Really thanks.

This is the message I seen from audit.log, it seems it is the suspected account which I have closed, however the email still sending out from our server, however there is still massive amount of active email queue.

2013-04-03 18:00:55,404 WARN [btpool0-257://ms1.ipeee.com:7071/service/admin/soap/] [name=test@ipeee.com;ip=10.0.85.21;] security - cmd=Auth; account=test@ipeee.
    com.hk; protocol=soap; error=authentication failed for test, account(or domain) status is closed;
    Sorry, am really not good in programming and Linux, do you mean save those code to a script named pfdel.pl? And where should I put this script?

vavai is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by Solt View Post
    Really thanks.
    Sorry, am really not good in programming and Linux, do you mean save those code to a script named pfdel.pl? And where should I put this script?
    Save the above code with name : pfdel (without .pl is okay). Any folder are okay, let's say it was /opt :

Code:
    cd /opt
    vi pfdel
    copy paste the above code, save it (with ESC, :wq) and then :
    Code:
    chmod +x /opt/pfdel
    /opt/pfdel test@ipeee.com.hk
    /opt/pfdel MAILER-DAEMON
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.SLES11_64_20131203103702 SLES11_64 FOSS edition.

swrightsls is offline Senior Member

Hi,

You may want to look back at your mailbox.log for connections to this account from IP in the ranges:

74.115.0.0 - 74.115.7.255 (proxy/anon site that attacks start from - anchorfree.com)
    41.71.128.0 - 41.71.255.255 (Nigerian IPs that spam is sent from)
    41.138.184.0 - 41.138.191.255 " "

If this is anything like our experience in the last few days, they are using direct SOAP calls to place the spam message in account signatures, then sending massive amounts of spam as a blank message using a script.

Our solution was to identify all accounts affected & reset passwords, but also block all of the IP ranges at our firewall. I have not had any reply to my abuse reports to owners of the address blocks...
    Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition, Patch 7.1.4_P1

Hi swrightsls,
    Quote Originally Posted by swrightsls View Post
    Hi,

You may want to look back at your mailbox.log for connections to this account from IP in the ranges:

74.115.0.0 - 74.115.7.255 (proxy/anon site that attacks start from - anchorfree.com)
    41.71.128.0 - 41.71.255.255 (Nigerian IPs that spam is sent from)
    41.138.184.0 - 41.138.191.255 " "

If this is anything like our experience in the last few days, they are using direct SOAP calls to place the spam message in account signatures, then sending massive amounts of spam as a blank message using a script.

Our solution was to identify all accounts affected & reset passwords, but also block all of the IP ranges at our firewall. I have not had any reply to my abuse reports to owners of the address blocks...
    Thank you for your tips. Noted, in case dealing with similar issue.
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

liverpoolfcfan is online now Outstanding Member

Really thanks.

This is the message I seen from audit.log, it seems it is the suspected account which I have closed, however the email still sending out from our server, however there is still massive amount of active email queue.

2013-04-03 18:00:55,404 WARN [btpool0-257://ms1.ipeee.com:7071/service/admin/soap/] [name=test@ipeee.com;ip=10.0.85.21;] security - cmd=Auth; account=test@ipeee.com.hk; protocol=soap; error=authentication failed for test, account(or domain) status is closed;

I am not sure about the possibilities for spoofing the address of the client - but certainly in a normal instance the [name=test@ipeee.com;ip=10.0.85.21;] tells you the IP address of the client. In this case the IP Address is an internal IP address - i.e. Not one that can be routed publicly - so you should be looking for an infected system on your own network.

Thanks, the suspected account has been closed, and the internal IP address is my email server.

Still no clue how to solve this yet

Text1.txt

I have blocked 2 ips from firewall and seems it is now temporary solved, thanks so much.

Now time to request unblock

Another question, did you guys setup any RBLs in the admin console?

I have blocked 2 ips from firewall and seems it is now temporary solved, thanks so much.

Now time to request unblock

Another question, did you guys setup any RBLs in the admin console?
    Yes, I did. My default setup using b.barracudacentral.org and zen.spamhaus.org as default RBL set.
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

liverpoolfcfan is online now Outstanding Member

Thanks, the suspected account has been closed, and the internal IP address is my email server.

Still no clue how to solve this yet
    Does this server have apache or other web server running in front of zimbra ?

If NOT, Check your /opt/zimbra/log/access_log_2013-0403 file and look to see if you are getting external requests for pages on your server that are not zimbra pages. Perhaps there is a rogue page that has been planted on the server ?

If YES, then check the web server logs for a similar issue.

Or if you cannot find any rogue pages, check for the IP addresses that are making all the requests to try to identify external ones.

Finally, if someone had gotten the password for the test account - and you have the mail submission port 587 publicly available - then they could simply have been authenticating directly to smtpd and sending mail from there. They would not show up in the access logs - but you would see the AuthRequests from smtpd in the mailbox.log file

We have Zenosis which is running on the same server as email server, don't know if it is related, I will check the log, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpoolfcfan View Post
    Does this server have apache or other web server running in front of zimbra ?

If NOT, Check your /opt/zimbra/log/access_log_2013-0403 file and look to see if you are getting external requests for pages on your server that are not zimbra pages. Perhaps there is a rogue page that has been planted on the server ?

If YES, then check the web server logs for a similar issue.

Or if you cannot find any rogue pages, check for the IP addresses that are making all the requests to try to identify external ones.

Finally, if someone had gotten the password for the test account - and you have the mail submission port 587 publicly available - then they could simply have been authenticating directly to smtpd and sending mail from there. They would not show up in the access logs - but you would see the AuthRequests from smtpd in the mailbox.log file

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information