Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Migrating 7.1.1 -> 8.03 new server

  1. #1
    iceruam is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Migrating 7.1.1 -> 8.03 new server

    I want to migrate form Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 on a new server. I am currently running 7.1.1 I tried to upgrade it on 10.04 to zimbra 8.0.3, it failed to see the previous version but found that the directory was there. I canceled that install then proceeded to install 7.2.3 instead hoping that maybe it was just too big a jump, it also did not see the previous install but I chanced it and continued choosing the 'without deleting the zimbra directory' option. It bombed on zimbra core and exited. Not knowing how far along it went I tried a zmcontrol start, [sudo] password for zimbra: error
    I restored everything, zmpermfix and visudo. the old server appears to be working. Is there another way to migrate? There is no version 7 for 12.04 so I cannot install 7.x.x on 12.04 as described in the threads I have read. I could try installing 10.04 on the new server with a fresh install of 7.1.1 migrate and see if that install will allow an upgrade?

  2. #2
    vavai's Avatar
    vavai is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by iceruam View Post
    I want to migrate form Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 on a new server. I am currently running 7.1.1 I tried to upgrade it on 10.04 to zimbra 8.0.3, it failed to see the previous version but found that the directory was there. I canceled that install then proceeded to install 7.2.3 instead hoping that maybe it was just too big a jump, it also did not see the previous install but I chanced it and continued choosing the 'without deleting the zimbra directory' option. It bombed on zimbra core and exited. Not knowing how far along it went I tried a zmcontrol start, [sudo] password for zimbra: error
    I restored everything, zmpermfix and visudo. the old server appears to be working. Is there another way to migrate? There is no version 7 for 12.04 so I cannot install 7.x.x on 12.04 as described in the threads I have read. I could try installing 10.04 on the new server with a fresh install of 7.1.1 migrate and see if that install will allow an upgrade?
    How about using Zextras free migration toolkit to migrate your existing Zimbra 7 on Ubuntu 10.04 into Zimbra 8 on Ubuntu 12.04?

    FREE MIGRATION TOOL for moving Zimbra to Zimbra | ZeXtras Suite
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

    Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.SLES11_64_20131203103702 SLES11_64 FOSS edition.

  3. #3
    iceruam is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vavai View Post
    Hi,


    How about using Zextras free migration toolkit to migrate your existing Zimbra 7 on Ubuntu 10.04 into Zimbra 8 on Ubuntu 12.04?

    FREE MIGRATION TOOL for moving Zimbra to Zimbra | ZeXtras Suite
    I have never heard of it I'll look into it, thanks

  4. #4
    iceruam is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    The zextra seems to be working but the restore I must say is dreadfully slow

  5. #5
    vavai's Avatar
    vavai is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by iceruam View Post
    The zextra seems to be working but the restore I must say is dreadfully slow
    If you have all account exported successfully, you can compare Zextras migration process with imapsync or zmztozmig whether it's performance should be improve or does this poor performance are similar on imapsync and zmztozmig. If imapsync or zmztozmig has similar poor performance, than it would be better to check your network/system setup.
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

    Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.SLES11_64_20131203103702 SLES11_64 FOSS edition.

  6. #6
    iceruam is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I have not got all accounts imported yet, it have been running for the 3 hours and has only restored 16gb of mailbox data, I have the backup on the local drive, would the network still affect it?
    Last edited by iceruam; 04-03-2013 at 02:44 AM.

  7. #7
    iceruam is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I have the mail server up and running, it took a little over 11 hours to finish 20 mailboxes, a 4 of them are close to 20gb and a 2 others are about 10gb. Thanks for informing me of zextra it is a nice tool.
    Last edited by iceruam; 04-03-2013 at 08:39 PM.

  8. #8
    vavai's Avatar
    vavai is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Hi iceruam,
    Quote Originally Posted by iceruam View Post
    I have the mail server up and running, it took a little over to finish 20 mailboxes, a 4 of them are close to 20gb and a 2 others are about 10gb. Thanks for informing me of zextra it is a nice tool.
    Glad to hear that finally you have migrate your Zimbra server successfully. and yes, Zextras is a nice tools both for migration between Zimbra server (which free of charge), chat (also free, for instant messenger replacement that removed on Zimbra 8) and also some cools plugin like mobile sync, backup, admin and store management
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

    Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.SLES11_64_20131203103702 SLES11_64 FOSS edition.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Migrating to different server
    By admin1 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
  2. Migrating to new server
    By cedbobking in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
  3. Migrating to new server...pls Help!!!
    By fjimenez21 in forum Migration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 07:53 AM
  4. migrating from zcs server to zcs
    By reza225 in forum Migration
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
  5. Migrating from Single Server to Multi Server Installs?
    By freeformz in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •