Thread: Rejected Addresses - Internal Accounts

stasouv is offline Active Member

Default Rejected Addresses - Internal Accounts

hello

This is a problem that appears when trying to send to internal accounts, ie the accouns from the same server.
    When we send to a non existent account, it is normal to have a bounce. But when the account is internal, the message cannot be sent, getting an error:

Message not sent; one or more addresses were not accepted.
    Rejected addresses: blahblah@domain.com

Well, this is not absolutely wrong, but it is a little inconvenient, especially when dealing with hidden GAL. There are times when a message has to be sent to some douzens or even hundreds of recipients, and if a number of those are either closed, in maintenance or non existent, then the message cannot be sent AT ALL. One has to go through the entire list of accounts in the message header to delete or alter the problematic one, only to have to redo the same thing over and over, depending on the number of bogus, actually, addresses.

It's not a postconf issue, internal delivery does not include mta's. We would love if there was some configuration option to just ignore inexistent accounts rather than abort sending to them. Or, as in extend, to simulate MTA behavior, accepting the message and bouncing if errors or warnings occur.

Once more, I repeat that this is about INTERNAL accounts.

I haven't been able to find any such post elsewhere.

Stavros

vavai is offline Special Member

Is this possible that you applying resctricted recipient : RestrictPostfixRecipients - Zimbra :: Wiki ? If you by accident setup a wrong configuration (or setup a correct configuration to specific senders)?

Beside that, you may also find the relevant line from /var/log/zimbra.log and check the error message and it's source of problem while trying to send email as described above.
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.SLES11_64_20131203103702 SLES11_64 FOSS edition.

Well, the missing link was /var/log/zimbra.log.

I didn't find anything important there, but it clued me as to where to look. I had checked postconf before, but I had missed this line:

Code:
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unlisted_recipient, reject_non_fqdn_sender, permit
    So, all I had to do was

Code:
    postconf -e "smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient,  reject_non_fqdn_sender, permit"
    And have it working with a bounce, as intended.

Mark it as solved, please.

Thank you for your reply

vavai is offline Special Member

Hi,

Glad to know that you have solved your problem. as thread starter, you may marks this thread as solved (from thread tools link menu)
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.SLES11_64_20131203103702 SLES11_64 FOSS edition.

Well, it's a good think I didn't...

Update: The solution above is not persistent.

However, deleting the line
    reject_unlisted_recipient

from file
    /opt/zimbra/conf/zmconfigd/smtpd_recipient_restrictions.cf

makes it persistent.

I can't mark it as solved, there is no such option. solved.png

Thanks
    Last edited by stasouv; 04-01-2013 at 12:54 AM.

liverpoolfcfan is offline Outstanding Member

Can you verify that this fix only affects the behaviour of your users as they send emails - and not the behaviour of the server as it receives emails as well.

For example - if you send an email to one of those "temporarily unavailable or non-existent accounts" from an EXTERNAL source - do you still get a valid rejection in /var/log/maillog ?

Mar 31 05:13:43 zimbra postfix/smtpd[14931]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from external.net[10.10.10.10]: 550 5.1.1 <random.account@your.domain>: Recipient address rejected: your.domain; from=.............

Or if not, are you using a catch all account ? Or is your mail queue filling up with undeliverable emails ?

As a matter of fact, it's an overall behaviour. No distinction between mail from local server or any other server. We used to have rejection, but I had only complaints from my internal users. That's why I differenciated the cases. But postfix handles the delivery, no matter where to or where from... So, before we had NOQUEUE: reject and now we have a bounce...

So, no, it's not only for the internal users. This true example (slightly changed to hide actual data) show an unsuccessful delivery from external source before and after the change:

Code:
    Mar 18 09:32:32 *servername* postfix/smtpd[22147]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from *some_relay* [IP.IP.IP.IP]: 550 5.1.1 <receiver@domain.com>: Recipient address rejected: domain.com; from=<sender@domain.org> to=<receiver@domain.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<*some_relay*>

Apr  9 08:08:20 *servername* postfix/error[12277]: BEB1AED80952: to=<receiver@domain.com>, relay=none, delay=0.06, delays=0.04/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (domain.com)

Thread Information