Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Installation Troubleshooting

  1. #1
    mhammett is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Installation Troubleshooting

    There seems to be an awful lot of the same types of errors in the forums pertaining to DNS, SSL, etc.

    It might be handy to have scripts built-in that diagnose these types of issues. It would simply report if your /etc/hosts is wrong or if split-DNS is improperly configured or if SSH keys don't match or if there is no SSL cert or the SSL certs don't match or whatever. I had an issue where the passwords in LDAP weren't what were in the config file. Easy to check for, but takes a long time to get to that point when digging through dozens of the same forum posts that aren't the issue.
    Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.RHEL5_64_20120105094627 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition.

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,581
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    This isn't a question about Zimbra Development (which is where you've posted) so I'll move it toi the correct forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    There seems to be an awful lot of the same types of errors in the forums pertaining to DNS, SSL, etc.
    Of course there are and that's because people don't read the product documentation nor follow the system requirements for Zimbra - in general that's the case for most of the problems you'll see on any forums that provide support similar this these forums.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    It might be handy to have scripts built-in that diagnose these types of issues. It would simply report if your /etc/hosts is wrong or if split-DNS is improperly configured or if SSH keys don't match or if there is no SSL cert or the SSL certs don't match or whatever. I had an issue where the passwords in LDAP weren't what were in the config file. Easy to check for, but takes a long time to get to that point when digging through dozens of the same forum posts that aren't the issue.
    There is a check for the hosts file & DNS configuration and it will report if they're not.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    mhammett is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    It was a feature request, which I assumed belonged under development.

    The documentation is terrible and does a poor job of explaining everything. For example, now I'm going through the process of getting a new SSL cert generated for my re-install of ZCS. The documentation for SSL certificates is either as basic as click the wizard or not much more than a man page dump. Sure, man pages (usually) tell you all of your options, but they hardly explain it to someone that doesn't already know what it does.

    If there's a check for these things, why are there so many random issues attributed to bad DNS or bad SSL or... It should tell you, "Your hosts file says X, but it should say Y. Shall I correct it?", "I am resolving the server I'm looking for to X. Should it be X?", "SSL certificates on host X and host Y aren't matching. Do Z to fix it."
    Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.RHEL5_64_20120105094627 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition.

  4. #4
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,581
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    It was a feature request, which I assumed belonged under development.
    The correct place for feature requests is bugzilla not these forums, the forums are Community Suppored not official support.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    The documentation is terrible and does a poor job of explaining everything.
    It's not intended to explain 'everything' and a mail server administrator is expected to know how to install the requirements for ZCS.

    [QUOTE=mhammett;261348] For example, now I'm going through the process of getting a new SSL cert generated for my re-install of ZCS. The documentation for SSL certificates is either as basic as click the wizard or not much more than a man page dump. Sure, man pages (usually) tell you all of your options, but they hardly explain it to someone that doesn't already know what it does.[/QUPTE]Have you actually read the wiki page(s) on the subject? They explain in detail what's required for installing SSL certificates.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    If there's a check for these things, why are there so many random issues attributed to bad DNS or bad SSL or...
    For the very simple reason that people don't reead the documentation, they don't read the wiki articles on the subject and in some cases they have no idea at all how to configure DNS for a mail server.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    It should tell you, "Your hosts file says X, but it should say Y.
    It does tell you that.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    Shall I correct it?",
    No it should not modify those files, that's the job of the administrator.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    "I am resolving the server I'm looking for to X. Should it be X?", "SSL certificates on host X and host Y aren't matching. Do Z to fix it."
    Same answer as the previous comment.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    mhammett is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It's not intended to explain 'everything' and a mail server administrator is expected to know how to install the requirements for ZCS.
    It should explain in a step-by-step fashion how to produce the most common setups. If someone hasn't done something before, how can they be expected to know how to do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Have you actually read the wiki page(s) on the subject? They explain in detail what's required for installing SSL certificates.
    Yes, I have. I bet you that in the last week I have read no less than 100 wiki and forum pages dealing with various aspects of what I've been doing: LDAP restoration (which sucks), Mailbox restoration (which sucks), self-generated SSL (which sucks) and now commercial SSL installation (which isn't too bad because I just referred to the forum thread I had last year). I documented in that post all of the things that I did to get my commercial cert installed. Still waiting for Comodo to actually send me my cert.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    For the very simple reason that people don't reead the documentation, they don't read the wiki articles on the subject and in some cases they have no idea at all how to configure DNS for a mail server.
    You mean searching for their problem, finding a forum post whose reply is simply a link to Yahoo search results where the top returns are all the same or other forum threads with links to Yahoo search results? Maybe you mean the WIKI articles (by AJ Cody) that were last updated for version 4.5 or 5 and therefore can't be considered accurate enough to

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It does tell you that.
    I already had my DNS setup correctly for this rebuild (as the DNS server didn't fail). I'm pretty sure I had my DNS setup correctly the first time I did it. I know the first time I had a hosts file issue. If it did tell you there was a problem with the DNS\hosts setup (in plain English), I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have a constant flood of people posting about DNS problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No it should not modify those files, that's the job of the administrator.
    You are certainly free to think that, but obviously the current system is broke if there's this much noise generated from improper usage.
    Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.RHEL5_64_20120105094627 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition.

  6. #6
    ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Caracas Venezuela
    Posts
    476
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    You are certainly free to think that, but obviously the current system is broke if there's this much noise generated from improper usage.
    Well, in your case, as you said.., you have no proper backups..

    I followed your case and, i got to say you do amazing work repairing your installation, but you have to know....


    ccelis.

  7. #7
    mhammett is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I do admit my specific case is likely rare, but I'm generally about the community as a whole. I have split-DNS working, so I'm not likely to have any future split-DNS issues. As I said somewhere (not sure if it was this thread or another), I try to post most of the errors I'm getting and steps I took so that someone else Googling can find what I've done. Maybe it'll help them, maybe it won't.

    In my case it would have helped if it said what specific file it errored on and not a generic -1 not defined error.

    Unfortunately in my case, I was never able to restore the mailboxes themselves. Either I was looking in the wrong place for them or the filesystem lost them.

    Not only will I have backups working soon, but I'll have an LDAP server and an MTA server running off of my network\environment completely... so mail isn't lost and LDAP data is intact.
    Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.RHEL5_64_20120105094627 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition.

  8. #8
    ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Caracas Venezuela
    Posts
    476
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    I do admit my specific case is likely rare, but I'm generally about the community as a whole. I have split-DNS working, so I'm not likely to have any future split-DNS issues. As I said somewhere (not sure if it was this thread or another), I try to post most of the errors I'm getting and steps I took so that someone else Googling can find what I've done. Maybe it'll help them, maybe it won't.

    In my case it would have helped if it said what specific file it errored on and not a generic -1 not defined error.

    Unfortunately in my case, I was never able to restore the mailboxes themselves. Either I was looking in the wrong place for them or the filesystem lost them.

    Not only will I have backups working soon, but I'll have an LDAP server and an MTA server running off of my network\environment completely... so mail isn't lost and LDAP data is intact.
    Well said!

    ccelis

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Troubleshooting
    By ericortego in forum Administrators
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 06:09 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 12:01 PM
  3. Troubleshooting
    By ericortego in forum Developers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 11:18 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 01:31 PM
  5. OSE on Debian - installation troubleshooting
    By William in forum Installation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •