Thread: Leaving Zimbra. Tough love hey.

zacdesai is offline Member

Default Leaving Zimbra. Tough love hey.

Just thought to share this on the forums. This is our second year on Zimbra. Was definitely a good decision at the time. Lots of plus's going for it. Clean, uncluttered interface. Rock solid. Very easy to administer.

What irked me was silly things like no decent anti-spam since we upgraded to 8. EOL on Zimbra desktop. Really outdated in certain aspects to Office 365 for example. Nothing to compete with Lync. Nothing to facilitate shared docs like sharepoint. I feel communication in today's world has evolved to so much more than just email. To keep pace, our software solutions also need to embrace all these new mediums, and sadly I don't see any of this taking place with Zimbra.

So we've made the decision to migrate to Office 365 in the upcoming year. Wish us luck.
    Thanks for all the Zimbra memories.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Zakaria Desai
    IT Manager
    Durban South Toyota

jto_vmware is offline Former Zimbran

We are sorry to hear you leave. We will look into the anti-spam issue with Zimbra 8.

Zimbra desktop is not exactly EOL - we are going to support it until we have a new offline client solution. We are looking into taking advantage of HTML 5 and other new technologies.

Briefcase is also not EOL. Briefcase enables users to upload, collaborate (versioning, checkin/checkout) and share files. We will continue to make enhancements to this product and we will have a blog posted soon that talks about Briefcase. If there are features in Sharepoint that you want to see in Briefcase or entirely new features - please let us know.

I agree collaboration today is more than just email and we need to work with other technologies. Please see our post on Vidyo which enables IM and web conferencing A Conversation with Vidyo and Zimbra: A Match Made in Virtual Heaven :: Zimbra :: Blog.

Good luck on Office 365!

zakariad is offline Junior Member

Thanks JTO.

As much as I personally prefer open technologies, as it provides much more flexibility across platforms and devices - as a business we already use Microsoft OS on 99% of the desktops. So going the whole hog with Microsoft makes a little sense.

Anyway - I'm fondly using my Zimbra 8 web interface knowing that it may soon be leaving. Gonna really miss this brilliant design.
    Zakaria

BarefootPanda is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by zacdesai View Post
    What irked me was silly things like no decent anti-spam since we upgraded to 8. EOL on Zimbra desktop. Really outdated in certain aspects to Office 365 for example. Nothing to compete with Lync. Nothing to facilitate shared docs like sharepoint. I feel communication in today's world has evolved to so much more than just email. To keep pace, our software solutions also need to embrace all these new mediums, and sadly I don't see any of this taking place with Zimbra.
    I can't disagree with many of these thoughts at all. Users are expecting tech to keep up with the rest of their quickly evolving world. Google and Office 365 keep things fresh and move the SLA to their hands.

Here's hoping VMWare gets more into Zimbra before it's too late.

Thread Information