Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zimbra 8 Migration from Scalix to Zimbra - Split Domain

hrobinson is offline Intermediate Member

Default IMAPSYNC: BAD maximum literal size exceeded

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It's Closs of Service and you (might) need to apply to whichever COS (or all of them) you have in use, as I mentioned you should verify if the attribute is set.

It's a fairly simple command, the one in the article modifies the COS and you want to get the attribute first for verification, post again if you still have a problem.
    Hi Bill, thanks for the reply. Interesting. I would have never guessed the name. . I will verify the attributes are set correctly and report back later on this evening.

I have completed writing a script which will copy my message from Sclaix to Zimbra. ImapSync is an excellent utility.

Here is the script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    clear

SOURCE=mail.sbgk.com

USER=harold.robinson@sbgk.com
    PASS=ThisIsMyPassword
    DRY=--DRY
    DEST=zimbra.sbgk.com
    FOLDERS='Public Folders|RSS Feeds|Other Users|Calendar|Contacts|Tasks'

time imapsync --buffersize 8192000 --nofoldersizes --skipsize --allowsizemismatch --nosyncacls --regexflag s/\\X-*//g --exclude "$FOLDERS" --subscribe --syncinternaldates --fast $DRY --host1 $SOURCE --user1 $USER --password1 $PASS --host2 $DEST --user2 $USER --password2 $PASS | tee $USER.log
    This is pretty self explanatory with the exception of the DRY=--DRY. --DRY is used to perform a dry run against the account to see messages that it will transfer without transferring mail. I used this option extensively to form the command line I needed to transfer the email successfully.

I remove '--DRY' from the DRY= at the top of the script to actually perform the transfer. 'tee' is used to keep the output on the screen as well as place it into a log I can review after the transfer has completed. In order to transfer the mail to a test account, I set up "test.account@sbgk.com" on the Zimbra server and modified the script so that it will transfer to that account instead of my real account. The script above will transfer mail from the scalix server to the same account on the Zimbra server. Make sure you change --user2 parameter if you want to use a test account. The program 'time' will not post its results to the log file, but display statistical information after the imapsync script has completed. Its more for informational purposes so that I can gauge how long an account might take giving a particular size.

So now comes my question. [Solved see additional information below]

When I transfer mail from Scalix to the test account. Occasionally I will see this error:

Code:
    - msg INBOX/34739 {197094146} couldn't append  (Subject:[FW: Fwd: '13 players]) to folder INBOX: Error sending 'APPEND INBOX () "30-Jan-2013 16:13:46 -0800" {197094146}': 289 BAD maximum literal size exceeded
    - msg INBOX/34740 {197089152} couldn't append  (Subject:[FW:]) to folder INBOX: Error sending 'APPEND INBOX () "30-Jan-2013 16:17:00 -0800" {197089152}': 290 BAD maximum literal size exceeded
    in an effort to resolve this problem, I set the following parameters:
    Code:
    zmprov ms zimbra.sbgk.com zimbraFileUploadMaxSize 99614720
    zmprov ms zimbra.sbgk.com zimbraMailContentMaxSize 99614720
    zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize  99614720
    postfix reload
    Next I re-ran the above script but I still get these errors.

When I run the comamnds to see that the above parameters have been set I see the following:
    Code:
    zmprov gcf zimbraMTAMaxMessageSize
    zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize: 99614720
    Code:
    zmprov gcf zimbraMailContentMaxSize
    zimbraMailContentMaxSize: 10240000
    hmmm thats wrong... should be much bigger.

Code:
    zmprov gcf zimbraMTAMaxMessageSize
    zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize: 99614720
    Are these the right parameters I need to set with this error: I got these from Configuring maxmessagesize - Zimbra :: Wiki

I will look at the Zimbra logs to see if I can confirm I am going down the right path.

Zimbra seems to be performing wonderfully. Much better than the Scalix server.

Thanks for all the help. It is really appreciated.

Sincerely,

-- Harold Robinson

-- Edit --
    As I was packing up, I noticed I had a webpage open that was showing the following attribute that I should have set.
    When I run
    Code:
    zmprov gcf zimbraFileUploadMaxSize
    zimbraFileUploadMaxSize: 10485760
    Looks like I have this attribute set incorrectly, even though I seem to remember that I issued the command to set this.

So I change this attribute with the following command:
    Code:
    zmprov mcf zimbraFileUploadMaxSize 99614720
    Then I check to make sure the attribute is set correctly by issuing this command:
    Code:
    zmprov gcf zimbraFileUploadMaxSize
    zimbraFileUploadMaxSize: 99614720
    I have also set zimbraFileUploadMaxSize to 99614720. So now I will reboot the server and test this again.

-- Edit --
    Well after a reboot this attribute is still set to the default:
    Code:
    zmprov gcf zimbraMailContentMaxSize
    zimbraMailContentMaxSize: 10240000
    but with all the other settings set correctly, I will rerun my import and see what happens.

-- Harold

--- Edit ---
    Well after running the test script again. I found that I needed to exclude several other folders. These folders are as follows:
    "RSS Feeds"
    "Calendar"
    "Contacts"
    "Other Users"
    "Tasks"

These folders were just causing errors with imapsync and causing me confusion as to weather or not these were valid errors or something the Scalix server was causing. Since I can use a PST import to copy these folders over, I don't see a problem excluding them. I have updated the script above to show how I am excluding them. I created a new variable so that folders can be added and taken away as needed.

--- Edit ---
    After further tests, it was discovered that I personally had a couple of messages that were almost 200MB in size. I did a double take when I saw the figures (I thought it was only 19MB). I decided to count out the digits just to make sure and and discovered not 19MB but 187MB. <THIS> was the cause of my problem all the long. I went ahead and updated the following attributes with the following values to accommodate message sizes up to 256MB: This is a special case because Scalix has NO restriction on how big we can send messages. I definitely don't want to leave the values this large.

Code:
    zmprov ms zimbra.sbgk.com zimbraFileUploadMaxSize 268435456
    zmprov ms zimbra.sbgk.com zimbraMailContentMaxSize 268435456
    zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize  268435456
    zmcontrol stop
    zmcontrol start
    What would be the recommended values for these attributes?

For now my messages are transferring with out errors (at least for my account)

I have also updated the script above to include a new variable for excluding folders. I had discovered that I can't transfer Contacts, Tasks, and Calendar entries using imaysync. I will do this via PST transfer.

-- Harold
    Last edited by hrobinson; 03-20-2013 at 02:16 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You may be encountering this bug: Bug 77275 &ndash; NIO IMAP incorrectly processes requests in case of "maximum literal size exceeded" - that's fixed in ZCS 8.0.3 and will require an upgrade. It's fairly trivial to upgrade so I'd recommend you do that as soon as you can and there are other important bug fixes in that release.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You may be encountering this bug: Bug 77275 – NIO IMAP incorrectly processes requests in case of "maximum literal size exceeded" - that's fixed in ZCS 8.0.3 and will require an upgrade. It's fairly trivial to upgrade so I'd recommend you do that as soon as you can and there are other important bug fixes in that release.
    Hi Bill,

I saw that post too, but I have already upgraded to 8.0.3. (see previous posts) I was looking at the error log and found out some of these message attachments approach almost 200MB in size! Yea, blew me away. I am thinking about setting the zimbraFileUploadMaxSize attribute to 256MB (268435456 bytes). Just to make sure I get all the messages across.

-- Harold

Default Mobile access while Scalix is still running

All;

I'm looking for suggestions about allowing smart phone access to Zimbra while Scalix is running. Currently all smartphones access Scalix via IMAP and the K-9 email app for Android, or imail for the iphone also through IMAP. The IMAP protocol is forwarded to Scalix right now, and I can not cut that over until everyone is off of Scalix.

I have IOS and Android devices.

I will keep looking for answers and post my findings as usual.

Thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,

Harold Robinson

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hrobinson View Post
    I saw that post too, but I have already upgraded to 8.0.3.
    Sorry, I missed that one.

I was looking at the error log and found out some of these message attachments approach almost 200MB in size! Yea, blew me away. I am thinking about setting the zimbraFileUploadMaxSize attribute to 256MB (268435456 bytes). Just to make sure I get all the messages across.
    I would make that as large as you can (300-400MB?) while doing the migration just in case, you can always reset them to a reasonable size after the migration.

I'm looking for suggestions about allowing smart phone access to Zimbra while Scalix is running. Currently all smartphones access Scalix via IMAP and the K-9 email app for Android, or imail for the iphone also through IMAP. The IMAP protocol is forwarded to Scalix right now, and I can not cut that over until everyone is off of Scalix.
    I'm not sure you can do that easily (if at all), is there any possibility of restricting IMAP access until after the migration - perhaps just over a week-end (how long is your migration likely to take?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi everyone,

My testing of the Zimbra server is progressing nicely.

Today, I finalized my mail transfer process, and began to test the Zimbra Outlook Client.

I ran into this error:
    Code:
     “Zimbra authorization Failure: you account could not be validated against the Zimbra server. Please make sure you are online, and that you entered the correct information”
    I typed in the correct password and account name. I even validated this by logging into the web client.

Eventually I found this message in the forums: Outlook connector cannot connect to the Zimbra server

Pay close attention to Message #10. You need to convert the certificate stored on the Zimbra server to a "Windows Formatted" certificate. Then you need to import the converted certificate to get Outlook to work correctly.

Currently my test laptop is "Initializing Folders: Zimbra - Test Account ... Processing". Its not moving very fast, and I do see messages in the inbox. 248 to be exact. This laptop is an older laptop so it only has a 100MB network card, not Giga-Bit card so its running 10 times slower than the modern laptops on the network.

How long does this process take?

My concern is the bandwidth limitation for the Carlsbad Office. Its only on a T-1 (1.55mb/s). This laptop is on a Gigabit network, and has been running for 45 minutes already.

In regards to the Smartphones. I have decided to leave that until after they have all been converted. The partners will not like that very much but its only for 2 week.

The company is split between two cities connected by a VPN, so I will migrate the local office first. This is where the Zimbra server is located. Then migrate the remote office. My plan is to do an initial transfer of Email to all accounts before I begin actually migrating users. Then when I migrate a particular office, I will run imapsync for each user in that particular office to re-sync those accounts. Then migrate Outlook to Zimbra. While I convert these users, i will hold Email at our mail scanning service while I cut users over to the new server to avoid loosing Email. I have one Email account that is expecting to take over 28 hours to do the initial transfer. It has over 36GB of Email in that one account.

One final question, the converted Email on the Zimbra server has all of its Email marked as UNREAD. Is there a way to preserve the read flag status on messages when Transferring Email to Zimbra using Imapsync? Some users use the Read flag as a way of going back to messages that are not terribly important but need to be reviewed later on in the day. As an example, they read the message (its marked as read) then determine that they will address it later, so they will reflag the message as UNREAD to come back to it later.

Thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,

--Harold
    Last edited by hrobinson; 03-27-2013 at 06:22 PM.

*** Bump ***

I am having a problem with the read flag when transferring email to Zimbra. It appears both in the Outlook Email client as well as the web client that all messages transferred to Zimbra are marked "unread". This is a big problem and I do need feed back on this.

According to imapsync readme:

"All flags are preserved, unread will stay unread, read will stay read, deleted will stay deleted. You can stop the transfer at any time and restart it later, imapsync works well with bad connections."

Sincerely,

--Harold

vavai is offline Special Member

Hi Harold,

*** Bump ***

I am having a problem with the read flag when transferring email to Zimbra. It appears both in the Outlook Email client as well as the web client that all messages transferred to Zimbra are marked "unread". This is a big problem and I do need feed back on this.

According to imapsync readme:

"All flags are preserved, unread will stay unread, read will stay read, deleted will stay deleted. You can stop the transfer at any time and restart it later, imapsync works well with bad connections."

Sincerely,

--Harold
    It seems that Imapsync was preserver all flags sucessfully, but not for POP3 access. Following links may helps you : Prevent duplicates messages for POP3 users post migration - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Best Regards
    ---
    Masim "Vavai" Sugianto
    Zimbra Tutorial
    Personal Blog [ID]

Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.SLES11_64_20131203103702 SLES11_64 FOSS edition.

Vavai,

I think I understand you. You are telling me that ImapSync will preserve the flags. but I already understood that (based on my last post). but when I perform an ImapSync, ALL MESSAGES are marked as unread.

Has anybody had a problem like this? Maybe because Scalix uses their own IMAP engine, that those flags were stripped because the flags are non-standard. Thinking as I type, would ImapSync be able to translate flags from Scalix to Zimbra (like the read flag) to maintain the read status of a message?

Thanks for the help.

Harold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information