Thread: Questions about upgrade / network edition

goetzi is offline Project Contributor

Default Questions about upgrade / network edition

Hi,

as you can see at my other forum posts I'm absolutely fascinated by Zimbra. I currently have installed the last version of Zimbra on a FC3 server.

I am using it for my family on a home network.

The network version will cost 30 dollars per year and account and I will definitly buy it.

No my question: Can I simply upgrade? Or will I have to make a re-install? Will I be able to import the existing data?

Another question: When will the network version be out? I read something of "November", but is there an exact date?

goetzi

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by goetzi
    Now my question: Can I simply upgrade? Or will I have to make a re-install? Will I be able to import the existing data?
    Since we are still in beta there is not a big focus on backwards compatibilty/upgrade. That said the installer does supoport upgrades and we use that all the time to upgrade our current production zimbra.com mail server which is almost always running the latest code. So it may not be as clean or documented as it will be once we get to a GA version it should work.

Another question: When will the network version be out? I read something of "November", but is there an exact date?
    Not really. Our plan is to get it out before the end of November. If you'd like to get on our Network version beta user list, and be one of the first to hear about the release you can mail our sales team. sales AT zimbra.com

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    If you'd like to get on our Network version beta user list, and be one of the first to hear about the release you can mail our sales team. sales AT zimbra.com
    I wrote a mail and hope that I become a beta-tester

That said the installer does supoport upgrades and we use that all the time to upgrade our current production zimbra.com mail server which is almost always running the latest code. So it may not be as clean or documented as it will be once we get to a GA version it should work.
    So is it possible to upgrade my existing installation to the network (beta) version?

goetzi

So is it possible to upgrade my existing installation to the network (beta) version?
    We'd rather you install the network beta from scratch. It may be possible but we do not recommend it. We'll have more information about this when we release the Network beta and have had more time to test it in house.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We'd rather you install the network beta from scratch. It may be possible but we do not recommend it. We'll have more information about this when we release the Network beta and have had more time to test it in house.
    Ok, I understand. But will it be possible to import the existing data? The configuration isn't so important, but the mails, contacts, etc.

goetzi

Ok, I understand. But will it be possible to import the existing data? The configuration isn't so important, but the mails, contacts, etc.

goetzi
    Contacts are easy. Just export them to a .csv file. If you will install the network beta on a new box then you can use imapsync to pull the mail over.

StefanD is offline Project Contributor

The previous posts awhere when zimbra was in beta.
    How about upgrading now from OSS 3.0.1 version to the Network 3.0.1 version?
    Is this supported/testen, are there some issues keep in mind?

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Yes, it's tested. Same procedure as previous upgrades.

Thread Information