Thread: Problems moving Zimbra to new server

erdah is offline Member

Default Problems moving Zimbra to new server

Hi,

I'm running Zimbra 7.1.4_GA_2555 + patch-7.1.4_GA_2568 on Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit. Now I have to move the Zimbra installation to a new server because we are migrating from XenServer to VMware.

I've been following the Wiki to the letter. The problem is when running the installation over the rsync:ed /opt/zimbra on the new server. I get a lot of LDAP related issues like "LDAP failed with exit code 256".

Can it be because I run a GA_2555 installation over a GA_2568 patched /opt/zimbra?

The migration seems to works if I run a 7.2.1_GA installation over the rsync:ed /opt/zimbra. Is that a recommended way to solve my problem?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by erdah View Post
    I'm running Zimbra 7.1.4_GA_2555 + patch-7.1.4_GA_2568 on Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit. Now I have to move the Zimbra installation to a new server because we are migrating from XenServer to VMware.
    You should be moving to a 64bit version of ZCS as all 32 bit versions are deprecated, is that what you're doing? If it is then you should follow the Zimbra Certified wiki article on moving from 32bit to 64bit servers. If you want an easy way to mmigrate your users you could always try the ZeXtras Migration Tool.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

erdah is offline Member

Thanks @phoenix for quick reply.

I know my OS is deprecated but we are stuck on Zimbra 7.x so it doesn't really matter. We are dependent on the Instant Messenger feature and unfortunately it is removed in Zimbra 8.x.

For now I'm only searching for the smoothest possible way to move the Zimbra installation to a new server. I thought my best bet was to stay on the same Zimbra and OS version.

But for some reason the installation over the rsync:ed directory on the new server fails...
    Last edited by erdah; 03-01-2013 at 12:18 PM.

erdah is offline Member

Is there anyone who can tell me if it is ok to upgrade to a slightly higher version during the migration when following the procedure outlined in the Wiki?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by erdah View Post
    Is there anyone who can tell me if it is ok to upgrade to a slightly higher version during the migration when following the procedure outlined in the Wiki?
    No, you need to use the same ZCS version as you have installed on your 'old' server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

erdah is offline Member

I have now confirmed my thoughts in test environment. You cannot "upgrade" a patched version of zimbra on the destination server. At least it didn't work for me.

If you for example are running 7.1.4 with patch 2568 on the source server the installation of 7.1.4 (2555) on the destination server will fail.

Thread Information