Thread: LDAP Not starting

gpearson is offline Junior Member

Default LDAP Not starting

On a zimbra server 8.0.2, I have an issue with slapd not starting. I have it narrowed down to something to do with the certificate as I have been surfing the net all day to try and resolve this issue. Upon starting to start ldap I get the following message

Feb 12 23:07:48 zimbra slapd[11664]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.33 (Dec 10 2012 10:09:16) $#012#011build@zre-rhel6-64.eng.vmware.com:/home/build/p4/zimbra/main/ThirdParty/openldap/openldap-2.4.33.3z/servers/slapd
    Feb 12 23:07:48 zimbra slapd[11664]: main: TLS init def ctx failed: -1
    Feb 12 23:07:48 zimbra slapd[11664]: DIGEST-MD5 common mech free
    Feb 12 23:07:48 zimbra slapd[11664]: slapd stopped.
    Feb 12 23:07:48 zimbra slapd[11664]: connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

And the process just continues to try to start ldap. Anyway to have more debug information or is their a way to disable TLS so slapd can be started and then I can try to get a certificate installed to be able to get mail operational again.

gpearson is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra 8 CLI Creation of Certificates for LDAP

A long story short and many lessons learned in my present zimbra server I am unable to get ldap to start so I can solve the root issue which started over 24 hours ago. Yesterday I searched the internet to find a solution to a problem and upon doing some of the recommended things, my /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml was wiped out and I did not notice this until a server reboot was performed. Not finding the resources to get the server up, I started to fix the different error messages. I have learned how to acquire passwords from different servers that make up zimbra the hard way. Which I have printed reams of paper on this journey.

Under zimbra 8.0.0 I am getting the following message on console

Failed to start slapd. Attempting debug start to determine error.
    TLS: error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line pem_lib.c:696
    TLS: error:140B0009:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file:PEM lib ssl_rsa.c:669
    511b7a6f main: TLS init def ctx failed: -1

My questions are: With the FOSS version and zimbra not running, is it possible to migrate all of the infromation to a new server? Or would the server need to be running? If someone from sales/support is online, can someone PM me to get rates for telephone support to assist in resolving this messages and get server back online. I have tried the proper forms without any message back.

Could ldap be changed without TLS to get up and running, then undo the change after the certificates are created to enable it? I am just at a loss at the moment along with lack of sleep as I surf to find someone else who might have documented this issue.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gpearson View Post
    My questions are: With the FOSS version and zimbra not running, is it possible to migrate all of the infromation to a new server? Or would the server need to be running?
    The server needs to be running to get the information.

If someone from sales/support is online, can someone PM me to get rates for telephone support to assist in resolving this messages and get server back online. I have tried the proper forms without any message back.
    If you have the OSS version then there is no support availble except these forums.

Could ldap be changed without TLS to get up and running, then undo the change after the certificates are created to enable it? I am just at a loss at the moment along with lack of sleep as I surf to find someone else who might have documented this issue.
    Have you tried the solution in these posts?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

nitmotwani is offline Junior Member

I've facing the exact same problem right now. Any headway on this?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nitmotwani View Post
    I've facing the exact same problem right now. Any headway on this?
    Take a look (above) at the the answer in the thread that I've merged with this one.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

gspearson is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Take a look (above) at the the answer in the thread that I've merged with this one.
    What I did to solve my own issue is I blew away the keystore and all certificates within the server. Then I created a self signed certificate. I had to do this a few times before creating the self-signed certificate would complete properly. Upon getting the server running with the self signed certificate, I then created a new virtual zimbra server and installed the same version of software on the old server. I used ZExtra Software to create a backup of the old server accounts and imported them on the new server. I then had the SSL certificate recreated for the new server and back up and running.

Things I learned:

Under FOSS 8 never run zimbra commands as root as the potential to blow away the localconfig.xml file is huge. Once this file is empty, the many sleepless nights are upon you/me.

Thread Information