Thread: Don't keep a local copy of messages on Mail Forwarding

juanpablo is offline Intermediate Member

Default Don't keep a local copy of messages on Mail Forwarding

Hi,

I need help on this "Don't keep a local copy of messages" setting on the Mail Forwarding menu.
    I don't fully understand this. What will happen if I just enable the "Don't keep a local copy of messages" and without specifying a forwarding email address?

I am using 8.0.2 NE.

I think this is a bug. This "Don't keep a local copy of messages" should not be active when there is no forwarding email specified because this two is dependent to each other.
    To my understanding, this is how it functions. Let's say user1 has a forwarding address set to user2 and the "Don't keep a local copy of messages" is enabled. When a mail is sent to user1, it will be forwarded to user2 and the mail is deleted on user1 mailbox. Am I right?
    the problem is when the forwarding email user2 is removed leaving the "Don't keep a local copy of messages" still checked or enabled. what will happen is, when you send email to user1, it will not show up in its mailbox and most likely it is deleted directly.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by juanpablo View Post
    I think this is a bug. This "Don't keep a local copy of messages" should not be active when there is no forwarding email specified because this two is dependent to each other.
    To my understanding, this is how it functions. Let's say user1 has a forwarding address set to user2 and the "Don't keep a local copy of messages" is enabled. When a mail is sent to user1, it will be forwarded to user2 and the mail is deleted on user1 mailbox. Am I right?
    Yes.

the problem is when the forwarding email user2 is removed leaving the "Don't keep a local copy of messages" still checked or enabled. what will happen is, when you send email to user1, it will not show up in its mailbox and most likely it is deleted directly.
    If I were you what I would do is set the 'Don't keep a local copy....' option without entering an email address for the 'forward copy to' and then hit the Save button to see what happens, have you actually tried that.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes.

If I were you what I would do is set the 'Don't keep a local copy....' option without entering an email address for the 'forward copy to' and then hit the Save button to see what happens, have you actually tried that.
    yes I have tried this. I set the Don't keep a local copy....' option and without entering an email address I hit save, and it was saved. A message says, account is modified, no error is displayed. Now if you send a message to this account, nothing will appear in the inbox. If you uncheck the "Don't keep a local copy...." and send a message, yes the mail will appear.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

yes I have tried this. I set the Don't keep a local copy....' option and without entering an email address I hit save, and it was saved. A message says, account is modified, no error is displayed. Now if you send a message to this account, nothing will appear in the inbox. If you uncheck the "Don't keep a local copy...." and send a message, yes the mail will appear.
    Well, on my server it gives an error that this is not allowed without an email address. Have you check the account details with zmprov to see if any email address is set? I'd suggest you search through bugzilla and see if anything has been reported.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Well, on my server it gives an error that this is not allowed without an email address. Have you check the account details with zmprov to see if any email address is set? I'd suggest you search through bugzilla and see if anything has been reported.
    here is the output of the zmprov ga user@domain.com

zimbraPrefMailFlashIcon: FALSE
    zimbraPrefMailFlashTitle: FALSE
    zimbraPrefMailForwardingAddress: user2@domain.com
    zimbraPrefMailInitialSearch: in:inbox
    zimbraPrefMailItemsPerPage: 100
    zimbraPrefMailLocalDeliveryDisabled: TRUE
    zimbraPrefMailPollingInterval: 5m

Notice the zimbraPrefMailLocalDeliveryDisabled: TRUE
    Now I will remove the forwarding address leaving the "Don't keep a local copy of messages" checked.

zimbraPrefMailFlashIcon: FALSE
    zimbraPrefMailFlashTitle: FALSE
    zimbraPrefMailInitialSearch: in:inbox
    zimbraPrefMailItemsPerPage: 100
    zimbraPrefMailLocalDeliveryDisabled: TRUE
    zimbraPrefMailPollingInterval: 5m

Notice that no more forwarding address but the local delivery is still TRUE.
    No error happens when saving.

Thread Information