Thread: Temporary Outage - Multi-server

mhammett is offline Special Member

Default Temporary Outage - Multi-server

My vSphere environment is currently in a state of flux and I need to bring a host down temporarily (30 minutes?). My other host doesn't have the power to take over all of the duties of the first (in process of doubling my server count to fix this). Actually, I'm opening the first host to compare hardware between existing servers and new ones and to upgrade firmware and vSphere.

That said, my Zimbra environment has 2x LDAP, 2x SMTP, 2x Mailstore, 1x Proxy VMs. If I leave up the primary LDAP and an SMTP, will my environment not lose any messages? I understand that clients wouldn't be able to retrieve them if the mailstores and proxy were down. My thought was that the LDAP would still authenticate accounts and SMTP would just hold the messages until the Mailstores were back online. Due to the current setup, there would be some downtime when the VMs moved to the new host.

When the primary LDAP goes down, do the other servers automatically poll the backup LDAP? How do I test they poll it properly?
    Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.RHEL5_64_20120105094627 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    That said, my Zimbra environment has 2x LDAP, 2x SMTP, 2x Mailstore, 1x Proxy VMs. If I leave up the primary LDAP and an SMTP, will my environment not lose any messages? I understand that clients wouldn't be able to retrieve them if the mailstores and proxy were down. My thought was that the LDAP would still authenticate accounts and SMTP would just hold the messages until the Mailstores were back online. Due to the current setup, there would be some downtime when the VMs moved to the new host.

When the primary LDAP goes down, do the other servers automatically poll the backup LDAP? How do I test they poll it properly?
    If you only have an LDAP and an SMTP up, email will come in and sit within the SMTP server until SMTP sees that the mailboxes are back up, and then it will deliver them into the mailboxes.

I believe queries will go to the second LDAP server, but the issue is that in pre ZCS-8, those are read-only servers, so I am not sure what kind of issues you might encounter. I would test first simply by bringing down the main LDAP only and sending a few messages and see what happens.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Also, any legitimate email server on the Internet will queue and retry emails to your server if you are down and unreachable. Depending on the time you are down, it may take them longer to retry, but you should be able to be down for a few hours without losing any email. It will just come in delayed.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

So then do you recommend I upgrade to ZCS 8 (now that it has gone GA) before I take the server down?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

So then do you recommend I upgrade to ZCS 8 (now that it has gone GA) before I take the server down?
    Why not? ZCS 8 actually went GA in the 3rd quarter of 2012 and is currently at version 8.0.2.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Why not? ZCS 8 actually went GA in the 3rd quarter of 2012 and is currently at version 8.0.2.
    Just because something is available doesn't mean it is ready. I like to sit until there is something to compel me to upgrade. I was hoping the UC stuff would, but it is useless to me until someone makes a bridge to Asterisk.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Just because something is available doesn't mean it is ready.
    My point was that it has been available for a while. The only person that can make a decision about installing a specific version is you, if you choose not to install any version that's also your choice.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information