Thread: Filters: Forwarding instead of redirecting

stasouv is offline Active Member

Default Filters: Forwarding instead of redirecting

Hi Community,

I've searched around on forums, looked in "zmmailbox help filter", and see there is no possibility for actually forwarding mail (not redirecting), ie sending to another user using address of the mailbox applying the filter, not the address of the original sender.

The only workaround I've found for users is to do it through other clients (eg Outlook, Thunderbird etc).

Is there a way to create a filter that will actually forward specific incoming mail? I would expect something like "apply header from" or just "forward".

We are running ZCS 8.0.2

Thanks

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stasouv View Post
    I've searched around on forums, looked in "zmmailbox help filter", and see there is no possibility for actually forwarding mail (not redirecting), ie sending to another user using address of the mailbox applying the filter, not the address of the original sender.
    I'm not quite sure I understand your description here. If you mean 'forward' the mail to another user on the same server then the filter rule is supposed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by stasouv View Post
    Is there a way to create a filter that will actually forward specific incoming mail? I would expect something like "apply header from" or just "forward".
    A redirect (the correct name for it as per RFC 3028) is a 'forward'. If you think the feature isn't working correctly then file a bug report with full details of the problem and the actual sieve filter - you can dump that via the Admin cli.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you Bill once more for your reply.

I understand your point, but what I mean is a bit different. Functionality is full, no problem there.

case 1. When a user A forwards manually a mail he got from B to a user C, than C gets a mail from: A. This is forwarding. C replies to A
    case 2. When a user A redirects manually a mail he got from B to a user C, than C gets a mail from: B. This is redirecting. C replies to B

This is not my own terminology, in Zimbra web client you may manually forward or redirect a message, exactly like the above examples, and these are the words used: forward and redirect.

However, when in filters, the only possibility there is, is to redirect (case 2). What I am looking for, is for functionality in filters to forward (case 1). It's not that it's there and not functioning. It's not there at all... And the available actions for filter are:

Code:
    # zmmailbox help filter

{actions}:
        keep
        discard
        fileinto "/path"
        tag "tag"
        flag "flag"
        mark read|flagged|priority
        redirect "address"
        reply "body-template"
        notify "address" "subject-template" "body-template" ["max-body-size(bytes)"]
        stop
    Last edited by stasouv; 01-20-2013 at 07:17 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The correct terminology is "redirect", I assume from your comments that you see 'forward' in the Web UI that you're on a version other that the current ZCS 8,.x? The Web UI has been changed to reflect the fact the it should be "redirect" as per the RFC and the function also reflects the behaviour required in the RFC - ZCS is always RFC compliant (as far as I'm aware).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I see your point. Ok, apparently there is no way to do what I want... Perhaps a zimlet elsewhere.

For the record, we have version 8.0.2 installed, as I posted opening this thread. And here is a snapshot of the right-button menu... Forward and Redirect are present...

part.png

Thanks for your time.

If anyone knows of a zimlet to add functionality, please share.

ucs75 is offline Starter Member

Angry A redirect is not a forward, and a forward is not a redirect - And Zimbra is crippled

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The correct terminology is "redirect", I assume from your comments that you see 'forward' in the Web UI that you're on a version other that the current ZCS 8,.x? The Web UI has been changed to reflect the fact the it should be "redirect" as per the RFC and the function also reflects the behaviour required in the RFC - ZCS is always RFC compliant (as far as I'm aware).
    Then implement the RFC Compliant Redirect, but don't ignore the basic, fundamental feature that every other email client on the planet supports.... a FORWARD.

The original poster clearly illustrated that we are not talking about the same process. A Forward IS different from a redirect, and is a HUGE complaint from the office where I just installed an instance of Zimbra. They are very likely to replace it with Exchange because of this egregious oversight.

Say that person A is out of the office, and wants to forward a copy of his emails to person B while he is away. He sets up his out of office, and wants to add a server-based rule to forward a copy of everything to person B. When he gets back, he still wants to have the original mail in his inbox, but with the assurance that person B also got a copy. With any other email client / server -- no problem. With Zimbra -- not possible!

I have no experience using your bug-tracking system, but PLEASE, for the love of all that is good, will everyone submit, vote, etc... to get this thing fixed?

I've raised an enhancement request on Bugzilla. You may vote and/or comment there:

https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=82634

hubmill is offline Starter Member

There is a difference between "forwarding" email and "redirecting" email and although Zimbra states in preferences that it is forwarding, in actuality it is redirecting the email.

See one description of the difference here: Redirect Email Messages - About Email

Simplistically and for users; forwarding email shows that its was received by someone else and has been then on-sent to the final recipient. Redirecting is more automated and appears to the final recipient as if the email was sent directly.

This issue has become pertinent to me when working with CRM software that utilize a drop-box email processing system. Some of these drop-boxes will only process mail that has been forwarded from a registered user of the CRM. These systems will not accept email that has been redirected. Redirected mail appear as though it was sent from a variety of sources external to the company (ie customers.) It does not indicated that it was redirected from the registered CRM user. Therefore the mail is rejected and not processed.

It appears that the CRM designers do this to save hardware resources including storage space. In my opinion this restriction is short sighted. Storage space and resources are fast becoming unlimited and available at low cost. In the very fast approaching future resources are not going to be a consideration. But a major feature of all CRM software will be hoe it categorizes and stores email. It appears narrow minded to limit this email feature.

Redirecting all mail is a far cleaner and much more reliable solution for all businesses. CRM systems that do not accept all email for processing will be left behind.

- Andor Rosenberg
    webstego.com.au

Thread Information