Thread: Upgrade 6.0.10 to 7.2

dosmage is offline Member

Lightbulb Upgrade 6.0.10 to 7.2

Hello, we are about to upgrade to the latest version of Zimbra supported by the x86 platform. We intend to upgrade to x86_64 at a future date. We have 1 ldap, 13 MX (receiving), 3 MTA (sending), 3 proxy, and 2 mailbox servers. Previously the upgrade process takes longer than is generally acceptable (10 hours) and extends in to business hours. We are expecting this update to take even longer.

We were hoping to break the upgrade in to stages and opened a ticket with Zimbra. They said it was possible and linked us to a wiki article that had specific versions of Zimbra all of which were older than the version we're currently at. I suspect this method works as long as the ldap schema doesn't change. I suspect that it does.

I would greatly appreciate any input as to whether the Zimbra team's suggestion of upgrading the ldap and then the MX servers in the first maintenance window and the rest as soon as possible is sensible and/or if anyone has any recommendations on how to break up the upgrade in a sensible way. We are trying to avoid an email outage to our customers during business hours.

I would also appreciate if anyone who has done this upgrade (6.0.10 to 7.2) could chime in with any caveats, pitfalls, or concerns that aren't listed in the documentation and/or maybe a few success stories would be great ^_^. Thank you!

Does anyone have generic advice on 6.0x to 7.x? Or any experience with upgrading portions of Zimbra?

Has anyone tried to split a Zimbra update?

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

The upgrade process updates the schema for you. Not quite sure what your question is?
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

I'm sorry, I don't understand you not understanding me. I will attempt to rephrase the problem I am facing. If you have any specific part of my problem that you don't understand can you please specify. I've many paragraphs in my original post and not understanding my question either implies you didn't read my post or you are being unintentionally ambiguous when you ask for clarity.

For the sake of clarity I am over exaggerating my problem with its retelling... We have 100,000 Zimbra servers in our deployment. Each server is going to take about 1 to 2 hours to update. I have a maintenance windows of about 2 hours to complete an upgrade. How can I perform this upgrade in pieces so that I can update my Zimbra deployment in the allowed maintenance windows? Is there a way to perform the update in stages so that I can perform the updates over the course of 137 to 274 years instead of being down for 5 to 11 straight years?

Mind you I am over exaggerating to get my point across. We only have 22 servers and they've traditionally only taken about 9 to 12 hours total to perform the update. This update sounds like it will take much longer as I understand there is a mailbox conversion that needs to take place. Since we're a service provider being down is obviously not preferable. We may not have 100,000 Zimbra servers but we do have a significant fraction of that in customers. Therefore I want to break the upgrade in to stages.

I asked the question to Zimbra support and this is what they said.

My point was the same. You can do the upgrade in shifts.The order is only important.
    That is First the ldap then MTA then Proxy and then Mailbox servers
    Please Check this Wiki article ..

Rolling Upgrades for ZCS - Zimbra :: Wiki

I guess this is what you are looking for.Please let me know if you have further doubts.
    As I said in my original post this wiki has very explicit version that you can break up in to segments where you update the ldap and MX servers in one stage and update the rest in another. This would be helpful except there are two concerns that I mentioned in my original post. One, our version is not specified in this wiki. I'm kind of annoyed Zimbra support pulled this out of the past to give to me. That wiki hasn't been updated since Zimbra 6 release candidate 1. We're running 6.0.10 and we're trying to get to 7.2.2. Zimbra 7 isn't even specified in the wiki. The wiki hasn't even been updated in three years. The second problem I have with it is that I assume that the ldap schema must have been changed between Zimbra 6.0.10 and 7.2.2 and therefore would break all Zimbra servers until they were all updated. I really feel like if I followed the advice of the Zimbra support team that we would be in trouble.

Therefore I am asking the forums does the advice of the Zimbra support team sound reasonable? Has anyone performed this type of upgrade from 6.0.10 to 7.2.2? Am I wrong in my assumptions that this wiki that they've given me incorrect? Is there any other options or are we simply going to be down for the length of time it takes to upgrade Zimbra? I'm hoping someone has a trick up their sleeve that doesn't involve a time machine. My exaggerated self is going to be spending several consecutive lifetimes upgrading all these hypothetical Zimbra servers.

I did this upgrade this morning/last night. The upgrade has go to be one of the smoothest upgrades of Zimbra we have performed except...

Zimbra couldn't figure out what version of Zimbra we were running and required manually setting it in zmsetup.pl's prevVersion variable. Without setting this all upgrades simply failed. This was horrendously scary and apparently common. Amazingly the Zimbra support team didn't mention it in the support ticket I had. In fact their answer was basically don't disturb us unless you have an error, so I suspect without the community I'd be down right now waiting for VMWare support to open so that I can groveling to them for support.

I also found out that Zimbra support was wrong. You can't split the upgrade. I realized this after the excessive soap errors logged from the mailbox servers after the ldap server was upgraded. Fortunately, as I mentioned, this upgrade was very smooth other than the zmsetup.pl problem.

In addition to the upgrade I also ran the migrate20100913-Mysql51.pl script required by the move from version 6.x to 7.x. The script took 4568 seconds on our older mailstore with roughly 2673 and only 1314 seconds on our "hotrod" mailstore with 2532. I don't have an average number of messages per account so the numbers don't necessarily mean anything. I do believe that the older mailstore had slower disks and an older cpu, but they both had the same amount of memory, 16 GB.

Another major concern I had was about the activations. We had 8 activations and burned one to perform a pseudo upgrade from Zimbra 6.0.10 to Zimbra 7.2.0. I couldn't find documentation that mentioned if the activations count against you for each server or what. Zimbra support said that only ldap servers count against you. I don't know if that was entirely accurate since our activations only dropped when the last mailstore was upgraded and not when the ldap server was upgraded, but we do only have one ldap server in our cluster currently. I will be upgrading our emergency backups later this week or early next, so I'll see if they burn activations.

I hope my summary helps anyone who is nervous about this upgrade as I was. What I thought was going to be the worst upgrade actually took half the time, mainly through more due diligence prior to the upgrade. The mysql conversion script took about as long as indicated in the release notes.

Brad_C is online now Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by dosmage View Post
    Zimbra couldn't figure out what version of Zimbra we were running and required manually setting it in zmsetup.pl's prevVersion variable.
    It does appear common, and rather than hacking zmsetup.pl you can edit /opt/zimbra/.install_history and place a line like :
    1334384528: UPGRADED zimbra-core_7.1.4_GA_2555.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb

At the end of the file. The setup process will scan the file and assume the last revision of zimbra-core it sees is the current version. Messy and nasty, but there it is.

Thank you Brad_C. I have some standby servers I haven't updated that I am sure are going to have the same problem. I will give that a try.

Thread Information