Thread: Zimbra 8.0.2 OSS excellent, webmail (ajax) slow sending emails though

oliver2uk is offline Senior Member

Default Zimbra 8.0.2 OSS excellent, webmail (ajax) slow sending emails though

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded to Zimbra 8.0.2 OSS, so far all is well, this release fixed our Java issues and other small things.

However, I don't know if anybody else is experiencing the same problem, when you are sending emails from the ajax web interface, there is now a huge delay, up to 30 seconds after you hit the send button.

This was instant in 8.0.1 as well as in 8.0.0.

All operations are however quite speedy, it's just the point clicking on the send and waiting for the email to go.

I wonder is anyone has any ideas how this can be fixed/improved.

Many thanks.

Zimbra 8.0.2 on CentOS64 6

cvidal is offline Project Contributor

Cannot reproduce the problem, but more info would be nice, like your browser and OS. If you are on Windows, turn off your anti-virus, may be it is fooling around with your stream. Test also if you have any difference between HTTP and HTTPS (the later, in principle, is invisible to both malware and antivirus).

If you still find no clue, please install Wireshark and trace your network traffic when you send an e-mail. In HTTP can be easier to follow. This will give you a time line of dialog between your browser and the server. By analyzing where the time is spent, you can find out if the problem is on the server or on the client.

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

I was able to narrow down my problem.

I did not mention browser and OS as this was not relevant to the problems I was experiencing. As a system administrator, I know what to check for, browsers, different osses, antivirus, etc ... The problem was not related to any of those, http/https was the same.

I was watching zimbra.log for a while and checked for any errors. It looked pretty good, I even gave our server 10GB of RAM, without any improvements. There was one error in the log though.

Zimbra tried to check outgoing email against list of the RBL's defined. One RBL failed due to the DNS error, from the top of my head it was something.abuse.net. I have removed this offending RBL, restarted Zimbra and now the emails are being sent almost immediately. As we can see, this turned to be caused by DNS check, which was slow and failed.

Hope this helps someone who will experience similar problem.

Oliver

liverpoolfcfan is offline Outstanding Member

See Bill's post - probably related given you are on CentOS 6.

Zimbra (on RHEL6) is unresponsive or extremely slow for end users

Elon is offline Junior Member

Had the same issue, it was relays.mail-abuse.org timing out, removed it from the list and its back to fast again. Was a bit worried I've done something since it happened after I upgraded from 7.1.3 to 8.0.2.

Elon,

Fantastic results! I am happy I was useful to someone. I didn't initially think this would cause such a big problem, I have seen that error in the log and ignore it initially, but as the system become extremely slow, I had to make sure there are no errors in the logs before doing anything else.

Have a great day.

Oliver
    Welcome | Mr. Mail - Professional Zimbra Cloud and Zimbra Enterprise Service ProviderMr. Mail – Professional Zimbra Cloud and Zimbra Enterprise Service Provider | MrMail is a Zimbra Cloud Service Provider for individuals, small and medium busin

stophi is offline Active Member

same problem and same solution here:
    relays.mail-abuse.org

thank you for the hint!!!!

arosha is offline Starter Member

Thumbs up Arosha

Quote Originally Posted by oliver2uk View Post
    Hi Carlos,

I was able to narrow down my problem.

I did not mention browser and OS as this was not relevant to the problems I was experiencing. As a system administrator, I know what to check for, browsers, different osses, antivirus, etc ... The problem was not related to any of those, http/https was the same.

I was watching zimbra.log for a while and checked for any errors. It looked pretty good, I even gave our server 10GB of RAM, without any improvements. There was one error in the log though.

Zimbra tried to check outgoing email against list of the RBL's defined. One RBL failed due to the DNS error, from the top of my head it was something.abuse.net. I have removed this offending RBL, restarted Zimbra and now the emails are being sent almost immediately. As we can see, this turned to be caused by DNS check, which was slow and failed.

Hope this helps someone who will experience similar problem.

Oliver
    I also had same problem. But now its working fine. Thanks!!!

saulfelipe is offline Junior Member

I have problems with rbls too... i remove and work fine now!

Thanks

Saul Figueiredo
    Support Analyst
    LPIC1
    LPIC2
    Zimbra 8.0.5/CentOS 6.3

Thread Information