Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Upgrade Zimbra 8.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS to Zimbra 8.0.2 on Ubuntu 12 LTS

  1. #1
    casufi is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Upgrade Zimbra 8.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS to Zimbra 8.0.2 on Ubuntu 12 LTS

    ase advise how to upgrade ubuntu server to 12 LTS. Should I upgrade zimbra first ?
    I tried to upgrade ubuntu to 12 LTS with the zimbra 8.0.0 installed and got dead zimbra server.

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,502
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casufi View Post
    ase advise how to upgrade ubuntu server to 12 LTS.
    You should never do an in-place upgrade of any operating system, you should move it to a new server.

    Quote Originally Posted by casufi View Post
    Should I upgrade zimbra first ?
    Did you look at any of the forum threads on this topic?

    Quote Originally Posted by casufi View Post
    I tried to upgrade ubuntu to 12 LTS with the zimbra 8.0.0 installed and got dead zimbra server.
    Did you take a backup of the operating systems and the ZCS installation before trying any of this?
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    casufi is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Did you take a backup of the operating systems and the ZCS installation before trying any of this?
    Sure. Zimbra is working fine now. I updated it to 8.0.1 without any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should never do an in-place upgrade of any operating system, you should move it to a new server...Did you look at any of the forum threads on this topic?
    You have to fix release notes for Zimbra 8.0.2 because Zimbra the only one software I need to move to another server to upgrade my distro. I think this is not normal behavior, and therefore it should be documented
    Preparing Your OS
    Before you upgrade ZCS, Zimbra recommends that the operating system is
    updated with the latest patches that have been tested with ZCS.

  4. #4
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,502
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casufi View Post
    You have to fix release notes for Zimbra 8.0.2 because Zimbra the only one software I need to move to another server to upgrade my distro. I think this is not normal behavior, and therefore it should be documented
    No, the Release Notes do not need changing. The 'latest patches' mentioned in the Notes means any outstanding patches for your current version of the operating system it does not mean a version upgrade (which is what you've done). Although you can do it in Ubuntu & Debian (and other distributions) it's never a good idea as you may break your system, a clean install is the recommended choice.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    casufi is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    ...The 'latest patches' mentioned ...
    Very strange answer. In any case, thanks for the advice.

  6. #6
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,502
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casufi View Post
    Very strange answer. In any case, thanks for the advice.
    Why do you think that's a 'strange answer', did you not understand it?
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #7
    casufi is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    I do not understand why people come up with excuses instead of doing things right. Zimbra the only one software I have to move to new server instead of upgrade the old one using do-release-update. Why you do not want to include this warning into documentation ?

  8. #8
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,502
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casufi View Post
    I do not understand why people come up with excuses instead of doing things right.
    It's not an excuse it's known as 'best practice'.

    Quote Originally Posted by casufi View Post
    Zimbra the only one software I have to move to new server instead of upgrade the old one using do-release-update.
    It's never recommended to do an in-place upgrade, if you want to maintain a stable system then move it to a new server - this isn't a Zimbra specific requirement. If you don't want to do that then live with the consequences, the fact that you can do an in-place upgrade doesn't mean you should.

    Quote Originally Posted by casufi View Post
    Why you do not want to include this warning into documentation ?
    It's not necessary to put the 'warning' in the documentation, it tells you what the requirements are for installing and upgrading your system and you didn't follow them. You also seem to have some misunderstanding about these forums, these are Community supported forums and people that post here do so voluntarily (including me) and when they have the time. I am just a moderator on these forums and the contents of are Zimbra documentation is nothing to do with me and my opinions posted in these forums are just that, my opinions.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  9. #9
    casufi is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Ok. Thank you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
  3. Upgrade Ubuntu 6.06 Zimbra 5.0.19 to Ubuntu 10.04 Zimbra 7.1.0
    By stegbth in forum Zimbra Success Stories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 04:50 AM
  4. Upgrade Ubuntu 6.06LTS to Ubuntu 8.04LTS and Zimbra 6.x
    By ajaylamb in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 01:45 AM
  5. Upgrade from Ubuntu 6.06 and Zimbra to Ubuntu 8.0
    By JoeLosco in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •