Thread: Out Of Office reply

Chusenlife is offline Starter Member

Default Out Of Office reply

Hi everyone - we are hoping that someone could help shed some light on a problem we are facing in our office. We recently implemented the Zimbra Collaboration Server (ZCS) Open Source Edition it is an excellent piece of system. However, we have just noticed that the out of office feature is not working as it should (Or maybe it is, but we have done something or not completed something required). Internal to internal is working but external to internal does not appear to be sending the bounce back out of office message to the sender. Using Google we found that we can check the mailbox.log file for information. However, I have to assume that the system is trying to send the message as it display mailbox - outofoffice sent dest='user@gmail.com' rcpt='user@company_domain.com'. We don't see anything regarding OOO or OutOfOffice message not being sent or errors.

We only have one domain configured in the Zimbra Collaboration Server which is just our organizations domain. Does anyone know what exactly we might be missing or configured wrong in Zimbra. Why is our out of office not boucning back to external senders. Please help or steer us in right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Inbound/Outbound mail flow works.

Thank you!

richaran is offline Starter Member

It sounds like I am experiencing the same issue with my installation of Zimbra. I have performed the installation over and over and tested the out-of-office function. If I send an email from an internal user to another internal user I get the out-of-office bounce back notification. But for some reason it does not work when someone from outside the organization sends an email. I too have checked the logs and it says that the out of office had been sent. I cannot imagine what the issue would be as everything else works perfect. Was it working for you before and then stopped or has it never worked at all. I also see a lot of information from different forums regarding local domain and aliases and how this affects the out-of-office and how it delivers. The Zimbra install is pretty straight forward so WHY doesn't the OUT-OF-OFFCE work. It's so strange. This is a critical feature i'm quite surprised why more people are not having or reporting this problem. Please let me know if you have found a fix.

lytledd is offline Elite Member

I can't reproduce this under Zimbra 8.0.1, I just tested. Maybe it's a Google issue? I used my work account for testing.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Chusenlife is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by lytledd View Post
    I can't reproduce this under Zimbra 8.0.1, I just tested. Maybe it's a Google issue? I used my work account for testing.

Doug

The server is definitely sending the out of office messages from what we see in the logs. I just don't know if something is stopping it after that point routing, firewall etc. We are still testing. I don't think the problem is to do anything with the Zimbra config... Like I said it might be something that we need to track on our end. Thanks for trying to help. If we find what the cause was we will be sure to post.

ahunt83 is offline Starter Member

We are having the same issue with the current version of ZCS. I may be able to offer more help in locating the issue in that we have an outbound MTA relay set (Trend Micro for Hosted Email Security).

We get the same log messages about the message being sent but Trend never receive it so I'm wondering if the relay code isn't working right for out of office and then message is being lost somewhere, although I cannot find any evidence looking around the various data / spool / log folders.

ahunt83 is offline Starter Member

Getting a little further but still having problems tracing the config for the out of office messages. I'm pretty sure through that the issue is with having relay setup as the logs show LMTP is being used:

mailbox.log:2014-07-17 10:42:56,025 INFO [LmtpServer-16] [ip=10.54.1.66;] lmtp - Delivering message: size=2854 bytes, nrcpts=1, sender=*@gmail.com, msgid=<465A523D-4600-440B-862A-E0E5F552DCDF@gmail.com>
    mailbox.log:2014-07-17 10:42:56,082 INFO [LmtpServer-16] [name=*@tranquildev.co.uk;mid=73;ip=10.54.1.66;] mailbox - outofoffice sent dest='*@gmail.com' rcpt='*@tranquildev.co.uk' mid=342

So it looks like it is trying to deliver the external out of office messages locally which I'm guessing are then just dumped off.

If anyone knows where the config for the out of office is located I'd appreciate it as I'm greping for everything I can think of and not coming up with anything.

Thread Information