Thread: Can you please advise on below Backup MX server I am planning

blason is offline Elite Member

Default Can you please advise on below Backup MX server I am planning

Hi Friends,

Please share your thoughts on below scenario and let me know if this would be possible.

My domain is say example.com, installed on zCS 7.2.1 with. I am planning to add backup MX server which will be a store,forward kindaa setup. Now, at the second MX server I can only install postfix and configure recipient_maps through LDAP to fetch from Primary server.

1. Can I simply install postfix and then configure to fetch the accounts from primary server specified using method stated above to save from becoming SPAM Trap?
    2. That way I believe I don't need to maintain recipient_maps on other server since the entries are being fetched from primary server [through LDAP] which eventually will always be in SYNC?
    3. Or Do I need to install complete zimbra server to achieve the above scenario?

Please advise.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You would be well advised to use a professional service to provide a backup MX server (you can actually get it free as part of another service such as DNS hosting), it's a target for spammand and you'll have to maintain it. If you want to do it then read any of these articles: +"how to" +postfix +"backup mx" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

In that case how recipient_maps will be kept in sync? And if I need build my own Backup MX server, will above method work? i.e through LDAP database?

Bill, further to the above scenario lets assume I configure zimbra as my backup MX which will forward all my emails for primary domain to primary server if it is up and store/forward if it is down. I need to understand how that will be spammed?

lets assume this scenario.

domain = example.com
    Primary MX = 10 mail.example.com 20.20.20.20 ZCS 7.2.1 [genuine users user1@example.com, user2@example.com]
    Secondary MX = 20 mail.test.com 30.30.30.30 ZCS 7.2.1

On mail.test.com I added new domain and configured below stuff
    zmprov md example.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @example.com
    zmprov md example.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @example.com
    zmprov md example.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:mail.example.com
    Now If
    I being a spammer try to send mail to user50@example.com which never exists, assuming

1. If primary is down, mails from malicious@intent.com To user50@example.com will be accepted by secondary mail server and will be kept in queue. As soon as the primary comes up it will try to deliver the mail. In this case mail.example.com which is primary will reject the mail since it doesn't have that user configured and secondary will send Recipient rejected mail to sender and so on. In this case spam mails are never gonna delivered by primary server. The only disadvantage I see is my mail queue at secondary will get jammed.

Any other issue do you observe here?

2. And any way if primary is up and spammers target my secondary server to relay mails for example.com again it wont be delivered at users Inbox and original sender is gonna receive Recipient address rejected message.

3. and If I have good spam service enabled on secondary I guess SPAM emails will direclty be rejected from secondary itself...
    Please share your thoughts
    Last edited by blason; 12-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.

So no comments at all? I just wanted to check if I am conceptually correct?

LMStone is offline Moderator

ZImbra's Postfix does LDAP lookups to check for valid users. If the secondary MX is not local to the primary MX, but has a good VPN-WAN connection between the two, then you can install an LDAP replica on the secondary MX and configure the secondary MX to use itself at first for LDAP lookups. zmreplchk run on the secondary will document if the two LDAPs are in sync.

Just be careful that either interprocess security is turned on or you are doing this over a good VPN.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

hmmm..That is a good suggestion. Security I can achive by either implementing firewall rules between those 2 server only for port 389 . Definitely secondary MX is not gonna be local to achieve HA or partial HA.

Have to tried that out? Is it working well in prod environment?

But in this case what if I am offering backup MX for multiple domains/servers or kindaa MSP environment and offering backup MX server? I guess in that case this scenario wouldn't scale well.

what say?

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by blason View Post
    hmmm..That is a good suggestion. Security I can achive by either implementing firewall rules between those 2 server only for port 389 . Definitely secondary MX is not gonna be local to achieve HA or partial HA.

Have to tried that out? Is it working well in prod environment?

But in this case what if I am offering backup MX for multiple domains/servers or kindaa MSP environment and offering backup MX server? I guess in that case this scenario wouldn't scale well.

what say?
    LDAP doesn't get updated all that often if you think about it. Major LDAP updates happen when you add or deprovision a new domain and all of the users mailboxes. If LDAP replication is a little slow, in either of those two use cases it's not a problem, really.

I would not use the secondary MX as the webmail MTA for the mailbox servers at the primary site of course. But if inbound email takes a few extra seconds to be transported from the secondary MX to the primary site's mailbox servers, is that really a problem either when mailbox refreshes are measured in minutes?

And yes, this is what we do on our own Zimbra hosting farm with the tertiary MX in Atlanta and the primary and secondary MX colocated with the mailbox servers in Portsmouth, NH.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

yonatan is offline Special Member

LMStone do you suggest using Zimbra for the secondary/ backup mx or a simple postfix server? Do you have any how-to/ recipe you can share for how to set up either option?

Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yonatan View Post
    Do you have any how-to/ recipe you can share for how to set up either option?
    +"how to" +"backup mx" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information