Thread: Bringing a Centos 4.8 and Zimbra 5.0.13 up to date.

ashleydrees is offline Junior Member

Default Bringing a Centos 4.8 and Zimbra 5.0.13 up to date.

We have a stable but out of date system, it is running on dell hardware and in general we have no issues.

Probably due to that stability of the system, we are now seriously out of date with the OS reaching EOL and our Zimbra on a very old version.

I would like to swap OS to Ubuntu - and bring the zimbra to the latest version whilst keeping our existing hardware.

I believe the steps would be.

Backup whole machine.
    Zimbra dump of ldap etc.
    install fresh OS
    Restore data and configure machine as it was
    install zimbra 5.0.13 (same as current version)
    Restore zimbra
    Upgrade zimbra.

Or perhaps... upgrade zimbra to 7 or possibly 8 and then...

Backup whole machine.
    Zimbra dump of ldap etc.
    install fresh OS
    install zimbra (same as current version)
    Restore zimbra
    Upgrade ZCS to 8.x

I personally think that the second path would be best, but there might not be an easy upgrade to Zimbra 7 from 5.... and Zimbra 7 is still supported on centos 4.8, though i am worried that if i have to install any rpm the standard repos are now offline.

I would welcome any suggestions, gotchas, links or lists which might help with this..

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ashleydrees View Post
    We have a stable but out of date system, it is running on dell hardware and in general we have no issues.
    That's good.

I would like to swap OS to Ubuntu - and bring the zimbra to the latest version whilst keeping our existing hardware.
    Why do you feel the need to change to Ubuntu? I'd recommend you stay with CentOS as it will make your life much easier. You also haven't mentioned whether this is a 32bit or 64bit server, 32bit systems are not available for ZCS8 so obviously you'll possibly need a new server.

If it involves the architecture change then I would suggest upgrading your current version to the most recent ZCS 7.x version then following the instructions in this wiki article (obviously ignore the NE steps in there if you're using the OSS edition) then upgrade to ZCS 8 when you've move to the new server.

I believe the steps would be.

Backup whole machine.
    Zimbra dump of ldap etc.
    install fresh OS
    install zimbra 5.0.13 (same as current version)
    Restore zimbra
    Upgrade zimbra.

Or perhaps... upgrade zimbra to 7 or possibly 8 and then...

Backup whole machine.
    Zimbra dump of ldap etc.
    install fresh OS
    install zimbra (same as current version)
    Restore zimbra
    Upgrade ZCS to 8.x
    Have a read of some of the articles in the forums and wiki on moving ZCS to a new operating system and see whether you think it's feasible.

BTW, make sure you read the Release Notes in detail before you upgrade ZCS to make sure there's no problem that will trip you up and do make sure you take an adequeat backup of the /opt/zimbra directory structure before making any changes.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Bill.

It is a 32 bit OS install, but the hardware will run x64, i was going to switch to ubuntu as i prefer that distro these days, though my distro of choice previously would have been centos, i am quite happy running with that if there are problems with ZCS 8.x and Ubuntu, what ARE the issues that will make running on CentOS less hassle than Ubuntu, they are both listed as supported with 8.x.

SO, i will read that wiki again and anything else it comes up with... bring the ZCS to 7 - backup / everything (x2) and then install fresh X64 and install the same 7.x ZCS that we had before.. restore data and then upgrade ZCS to 8.x.
    Last edited by ashleydrees; 11-30-2012 at 10:09 AM.

It is a 32 bit OS install, but the hardware will run x64, i was going to switch to ubuntu as i prefer that distro these days, though my distro of choice previously would have been centos, i am quite happy running with that if there are problems with ZCS 8.x and Ubuntu, what ARE the issues that will make running on CentOS less hassle than Ubuntu, they are both listed as supported with 8.x.
    Yes Ubuntu is a supported distribution (but CentOS is my preferred distribution), as you only have one server I meant it's less effort to install to the same distribution than move to a new distribution and do the upgrade as well.

SO, i will read that wiki again and anything else it comes up with... bring the ZCS to 7 - backup / everything (x2) and then install fresh X64 and install the same 7.x ZCS that we had before.. restore data and then upgrade ZCS to 8.x.
    Make sure you also read about backing-up ZCS and how to do a disaster recover - just in case.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks again Bill.

I would stay with CentOS if i did not have to trash the whole 32bit install to get to 64bit for ZCS 8.x... also as CentOS is not listed as a supported OS, moving to Ubuntu looks better for the management peeps. Will work out a change plan and be very very careful... i will also image the whole machine before doing anything... cannot have enough backups in my book... And now for a weekend.

I would stay with CentOS if i did not have to trash the whole 32bit install to get to 64bit for ZCS 8.x... also as CentOS is not listed as a supported OS, moving to Ubuntu looks better for the management peeps.
    CentOS (as you know) is a binary compatible rebuild of RHEL so it's guaranteed to work with Zimbra, the only reason it's not a supported platform is that the 'supplier' of the distribution doesn't offer any commercial support for the product - many people (including NE customers) on these forums use CentOS and I've been using without problems it since the very first release of Zimbra in 2005. It is, of course, always down to your choice.
    Regards

Bill

Yea, this system has been up since 2007/8 with CentOS, can't fault that.

Thread Information