Thread: how to Migrate 6.0.5_GA_2213.RHEL5_20100202220948 CentOS5 FOSS to Zimbra 8 OS

farrukhndm is offline Special Member

Default how to Migrate 6.0.5_GA_2213.RHEL5_20100202220948 CentOS5 FOSS to Zimbra 8 OS

hi ,

Still we are using zimbr 6 with domain mail.mydomain.com , Now we are moving over VPS and i have configured Centos machine under ESXi 5 .Now i will simply install zimbra 8 on ESxi with mail2.mydomain.com . after shifting emails i will change hostname of mail2 -> mail and also Mx records.

i have two queries
    1)Please suggest me how i can transfer emails from mail.mydomain(zimbra 6) to mail2.mydomain.com(zimbra 8) and want to keep both servers !!
    2)i want to run both servers "mail2.mydomain.com on my own office and mail1 on vps and want to sync both so if i lost connectivity of then i can be routed to local server.
    Main purpose of syncing is having backup of our server runing on VPS.

Thanks in advance.

shanxt is offline Active Member

If it's only mails that you want to transfer, you can use imapsync. Read this as well as google it.

As for keeping both servers, it will be a little tricky, since the domain name will be the same. I would suggest a creating a local (split) dns on the new server with the same hostname as the old server, putting the localhost in your resolv.conf, and then installing Zimbra 8.

After that you can imapsync using the IP addresses, and then transfer the servers and set DNS as appropriate.

farrukhndm is offline Special Member

Thanks Shanxt.
    i will try imapsync but its more complicated process to do manually each email account syncing.
    I want to use zimbra 8 Tools and migration wizard. will it support zimbra 6.0.5_GA_2213. if yes they how it can be accomplished.
    regards.

p.hackert is offline Member

hey,
    I've similar work to do, but we have to migrate from ZCS 5 to ZCS 8.
    The migration wizard obviously is able to get the account Data (and perhaps more, if you talk LDAP) and also is maybe able to get all your mailboxes from the old server to the new one. But therefor you'll need the "imap admin" User, which is actually unknown to me.
    I'm still searching for that user and its password to copy the mailboxes. poorly the ZCS 8 migration wizard seems to be unable to give any kind of errormessege if the transfer fails.
    If you find a way to transfer the mailboxes with the wizard, please tell me

We also tryed the imapcopy tool. it works, but you need password for every account you'll transfer. Also is there a problem where some mails won't keep their original send/receive date. I had about 200 of 2,5k emails which does have date and time of transfer as Sent date. this is definitly a NO GO. so this tool is not recommended by me.

Thread Information