Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ldap database went from 97meg to 86gig

kevindods is offline Advanced Member

Thanks Quanah, this has been very helpful and should resolve all the issues I have experienced and that of other small companies and organizations I work with. Great to feel we are being listened to in FOSS land and can usefully contribute to Zimbra. Thanks too for the script Kevin (winepress). I now have a dozen or so updates and 32-64bit migrations to do and this will certainly help.

davestahr is offline Intermediate Member

I woke up in a panic this morning because it occurred to me that I hadn't restarted my backup script since upgrading to 8.x -- After watching the backup take WAY longer than normal, I found the large 80gb file and came here. I finally found this thread and have absorbed it in its entirety. A few comments:

1) Quanah - thank you for your time. Having moderated other forums in the past, I know it can be a sometimes stressful position, one where it can seem people are personally attacking you, when in reality all they're doing is looking for an explanation. Personally, I have run *nix servers for nearly 20 years but never knew about the whole du -hc / allocated space / etc. So, thanks for the tips. This will help me in other totally non-zimbra related issues.

2) Community - PLEASE - don't disregard Quanah's comments about proper backup of LDAP data. If you're able to do a backup with Zimbra services shut down, you'll be fine, but if you're doing it "hot" - you're going to get yourself into a situation where you can't restore from your backup, even if you do shrink the LDAP file down. Just because your rsync starts running faster, don't trust that you have a valid backup.

3) It would seem appropriate if winepress/Kevin's code block from page 6 was either moved or linked somehow to the first page of the thread. I'm not sure many people will take the time to read through 6+ pages of arguments between Zimbra staff and FOSS users. I have to admit I was honestly starting to contemplate looking into another platform when I read some of the initial comments from Zimbra staff, not only on this thread but others as well. Might also be good to refer back to this thread from the bug report(s) as this is the response people were really looking for.

I don't post here much -- but thanks again to all the mods and community members who take the time to do so. It's a great resource for all of us. (And sometimes slightly amusing...)
    Last edited by davestahr; 11-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.

samgann is offline Intermediate Member

Thanks quanah, phoenix and wineprerss for the help.

mowglie is offline Active Member

davestahr, dh -c? do you mean du -h -c? but yeah after 10 yrs of linux i didnt know about allocated vs actual either! good to learn. & thanx for answering my question about stopping zimbra being a viable backup.

Quote Originally Posted by mowglie View Post
    davestahr, dh -c? do you mean du -h -c?
    Yes, sorry! I'll fix my post....hadn't had enough coffee....also, let me restate about stopping Zimbra.....I run a virtualized setup with OpenVZ. I actually stop the virtual server and back it up in its entirety to another machine as well as an external drive, then fire it back up again. The whole process takes about 3 minutes. I don't know about just stopping Zimbra and copying the LDAP file -- that may or may not work. To be safe, use the procedures referenced by Quanah a few pages ago. I actually do both just to CMOA.

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

I have no idea what the bz2 file size will be, or how it will affect the timing. My guess is it will be the same either way, but the DB wont' be valid if slapd is running.

In any case, in 8.0.2, resizing the DB on the fly will be possible, which I think will help significantly.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

dave, you can backup your entire vm w/ zimbra on it in 3 min? how! just do a bzip tarball of my zimbra dir takes 2 hrs to make the 14GB file.

quanah, does service stop zimbra also stop slapd? i'm guessing yes.

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Yes. It stops all zimbra services, including ldap.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by mowglie View Post
    dave, you can backup your entire vm w/ zimbra on it in 3 min? how! just do a bzip tarball of my zimbra dir takes 2 hrs to make the 14GB file.
    Basic strategy, regardless of virtual or bare metal:

1) rsync /opt/zimbra to another machine while Zimbra is running

2) stop zimbra

3) back up ldap

4) rsync /opt/zimbra again with Zimbra off (it will run much faster this time since most of your files are already copied)

5) start zimbra

I'd be happy to share my script if you need it -- but if you search google or these forums for zimbra backup rsync - or anything along those lines -you'll find several posts where people are sharing what they did.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information