Thread: Strange file changes after Zimbra installation...

jce
    jce is offline Intermediate Member

Exclamation Strange file changes after Zimbra installation...

Our tripwire caught this with my test VM (vSphere), so I tried again on a local VirtualBox VM I created specifically for this, and it happened again...

The Zimbra installation seems to cause lots of content changes in files completely unrelated to Zimbra. Has anyone seen this, or might know why it happens? Could there be something in RHEL 6/CentOS 6 (I've tried on both) that might do this "behind the scenes"? This seems unlikely, since tripwire hasn't done this before. While some of these files one would expect to be changed, the vast majority should not IMO. The list is ONLY files with differing MD5 checksums--not new or absent files. I simply did a find+md5sum before and after installing Zimbra. Below is ONLY the /bin files, but one only really needs the first ~5 lines to become concerned, I think. Attached is the complete list.

/bin/lsblk
    /bin/tar
    /bin/env
    /bin/mountpoint
    /bin/login
    /bin/raw
    /bin/true
    /bin/sed
    /bin/gettext
    /bin/cat
    /bin/setfont
    /bin/chgrp
    /bin/kill
    /bin/df
    /bin/mktemp
    /bin/mknod
    /bin/mailx
    /bin/cgset
    /bin/date
    /bin/lssubsys
    /bin/find
    /bin/mv
    /bin/uname
    /bin/usleep
    /bin/nano
    /bin/kbd_mode
    /bin/taskset
    /bin/unlink
    /bin/hostname
    /bin/fgrep
    /bin/dmesg
    /bin/grep
    /bin/bash
    /bin/gzip
    /bin/more
    /bin/stty
    /bin/ls
    /bin/cgcreate
    /bin/readlink
    /bin/sync
    /bin/rm
    /bin/cgexec
    /bin/dbus-send
    /bin/dbus-cleanup-sockets
    /bin/loadkeys
    /bin/pwd
    /bin/traceroute
    /bin/ipcalc
    /bin/cgdelete
    /bin/dbus-monitor
    /bin/netstat
    /bin/sleep
    /bin/ps
    /bin/chmod
    /bin/dumpkeys
    /bin/gawk
    /bin/dbus-uuidgen
    /bin/link
    /bin/touch
    /bin/cgclassify
    /bin/echo
    /bin/cp
    /bin/false
    /bin/ln
    /bin/chown
    /bin/rmdir
    /bin/cgsnapshot
    /bin/red
    /bin/keyctl
    /bin/cgget
    /bin/nice
    /bin/egrep
    /bin/tcsh
    /bin/arch
    /bin/dash
    /bin/mkdir
    /bin/plymouth
    /bin/dd
    /bin/findmnt
    /bin/basename
    /bin/sort
    /bin/setserial
    /bin/cut
    /bin/vi
    /bin/cpio
    /bin/rpm
    /bin/lscgroup
    /bin/ed

Josh
    Attached Files Attached Files

mpeltier is offline Member

Hi,
    It may be caused by prelinking (you can disable it in /etc/sysconfig/prelink). Also I have had similar problem with readahead service (which modifies ctime).
    Mathieu

jce

That seems correct. Disabling prelinking in /etc/sysconfig/prelink does make this go away in my test VM. However, I can't easily do this on the production VM... It would be much better to just prevent the install script from making/initiating these changes. The zimbra-core JAR file seems to be what actually makes these changes, unfortunately. Nothing in the shell scripts. Is there a good way to prevent this from happening? I'm testing various things with my VM, but it takes forever...if anyone knows a way please let me know!

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

It looks like Zimbra isn't doing incremental prelinking, which would resolve this issue.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

jce

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to prelinking so I apologize for the questions/confusion...

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    It looks like Zimbra isn't doing incremental prelinking, which would resolve this issue.
    I'm not sure what this means. Incremental prelinking seems to be when you tell prelink to only update binaries if necessary, which sounds like it shouldn't affect system (non-Zimbra) files. Are you saying that if Zimbra did incremental prelinking, then this issue would be resolved? In other words, Zimbra currently does "non-incremental" prelinking? That seems to make sense to me (given that I'm somewhat prelink-challenged right now).

So far I've tested two ways to bypass this problem, both seem to work through the install process:

1. Disable prelinking in /etc/sysconfig/prelink before you install Zimbra. I'm not 100% sure this prevents /usr/sbin/prelink from working directly.
    2. Remove the Zimbra lines from /etc/prelink.conf after installation. I'm not 100% sure if there is a time window in which this must be made before things change.

Question: If I remove the Zimbra lines from /etc/prelink.conf after installation, will Zimbra ever replace them (not including another install)?

Thanks again.

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by jce View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm new to prelinking so I apologize for the questions/confusion...

I'm not sure what this means. Incremental prelinking seems to be when you tell prelink to only update binaries if necessary, which sounds like it shouldn't affect system (non-Zimbra) files. Are you saying that if Zimbra did incremental prelinking, then this issue would be resolved? In other words, Zimbra currently does "non-incremental" prelinking? That seems to make sense to me (given that I'm somewhat prelink-challenged right now).

So far I've tested two ways to bypass this problem, both seem to work through the install process:

1. Disable prelinking in /etc/sysconfig/prelink before you install Zimbra. I'm not 100% sure this prevents /usr/sbin/prelink from working directly.
    2. Remove the Zimbra lines from /etc/prelink.conf after installation. I'm not 100% sure if there is a time window in which this must be made before things change.

Question: If I remove the Zimbra lines from /etc/prelink.conf after installation, will Zimbra ever replace them (not including another install)?

Thanks again.
    Correc,t zimbra does not currently do incremental prelinking. I don't know that prelinking is required at all. I've filed a bug to have this fixed. I can't say what will happen on future installations.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Thread Information