Thread: Theme changes not being applied in ZCS 8.0.0

JMerritt is offline Junior Member

Question Theme changes not being applied in ZCS 8.0.0

Apologies in advance if this is not the proper forum for this question; please direct me elsewhere if this is the case.

I have been tasked with updating the theme of our ZCS 8.0.0 instance. I have been following the instructions from the manual :

1. In the Zimbra Administration web interface, I have navigated to Domains > [our domain] > Themes
    2. I have changed the foreground, background, secondary and selection colors and Saved
    3. I have also changed the Application Logo banner URL to a custom image
    4. When prompted, I have flushed the theme cache

However, none of the changes are displayed.

The documentation is unclear; the system gives an opportunity to change the colors of the 4 items above - but what theme are these changes being applied to? All of them? The end user currently has a choice between 18 themes (Bare, Beach, Bones, etc) - what exactly do the color changes I make in the Zimbra Administration interface for our domain change, and how do I see my changes?

kevindods is offline Advanced Member

Hi JMerrittWhen we log in to a webclient and set the preference to another theme it simply doesnt take effect, whether reloading the client as the dialogue prompts nor logging out/in again. Do you actually get to change to any of the themes offered? We have FOSS 8.0.1. installed.

j2b
    j2b is offline Special Member

I just tried your options on fresh Zimbra 8.0.1 installation, which according to my memory, was not working a couple of days before too. The only different procedures I made, were:
    • Set up colors on domain configuration page, not Global configuration
    • Not only flushed cache of Mailbox servers, but even rebooted whole stack
    • Restarted browser, to get rid of browser cache

After these procedures, new colors became available. Although, there are some artifacts. Zimbra login screen box use new set colors, but reflection part remains blue.

Actually could not find any difference between v7 Carbon and new v8 Serenity theme, as both of them seem to be hameleon themes and quite similar.

Rebooting the stack didn't have any effect.

Anyone from Zimbra have an idea?

j2b

Have you tried setting color codes for theme on domain configuration, rather than in global settings? According to my other findings, Admin UI Global settings may not work, if you specifically do not introduce settings variables via CLI.You may check "$ zmprov gd domain.com" to find out these variables.

Per my original message, we attemped to change the theme by navigating to Configure > Domains > [our domain] > Themes. This is what you are speaking of, yes?

j2b

Sorry, missed that part. Yes, I was asking and trying on domain settings, as you indicated. The only thing that comes into my mind is because of variable missing in configuration. For now, I do not have much time to go with tests, as have to finish tasks, but you may try the following (as zimbra user - e.g. su - zimbra):

1. verify, if you domain configuration has color codes defined.
    Code:
    $ zmprov gd yourdomain.com | grep -i zimbraskin
    By this you should have the following variables stating colorcodes (these are example ones):
    Code:
    zimbraSkinBackgroundColor: #000000
    zimbraSkinForegroundColor: #000000
    zimbraSkinLogoURL: http://www.zimbradefaultsite.com
    zimbraSkinSecondaryColor: #000000
    zimbraSkinSelectionColor: #000000
    If response for above command is empty, your problem is in fact, that Admin GUI settings are not set in configuration. I have composed another issue regarding such case (Confusion of Admin GUI settings in ZCS 8.0.1 OS edition & MTA mail routing), but feel OK to work with CLI.

So to set these variables via CLI, you have to go with the following:

Code:
    $ zmprov md yourdomain.com zimbraSkinBackgroundColor {#yourcolorcode}
    You have to set this for each variable mentioned above. If your response is empty for command in step 1, do not bother, as it means, that configuration does not have such variables. Just go with zmprov md, and they will be set. Or you may use $ zmprov md yourdomain.com +zimbraSkinBackgroudColor... for example, ifactually variables are not set via CLI. This (+) thing is a little confusing, and sometimes work another way.

2. The same, verify, if you global configuration have such variables. Procedure is very similar, but you have to use different commands, ir you really want to set it as Global config.

To get variables:
    Code:
    $ zmprov gacf | grep -i zimbraSkin
    To set variables:
    Code:
    $ zmprov mcf zimbraSkinBackgroundColor {#colorcode}
    Can you please verify, that $ zmprov gd yourdomain.com | grep -i zimbraSkin has response and values?

Quote Originally Posted by j2b View Post
    Can you please verify, that $ zmprov gd yourdomain.com | grep -i zimbraSkin has response and values?
    Confirmed; this has a response and the values we expect. Odd.

j2b

Yes, quite odd. It needs to have some testing. I could do this in a couple of days. Meanwhile others may link to this discussion with their own experience. You may want to check Zimbra logs (/opt/zimbra/log) for particular warning/error messages during boot or operations. This might discover some issues. Look at /opt/zimbra/log/zmconfigd.log too, which is a log file of zmconfigd daemon responsible for generation of setup files in ZCS stack. Another thing would be recheck file permissions, in case something might not be written to config files.

If this discussion will be active still, I'll post my findings.

j2b

Unfortunately I could not add any more. Changing values via Admin GUI or CLI still has no effect, if just Theme cache is flushed. After reboot of mailbox servers, changes take effect.

Thread Information