Thread: Multi Domain open source zimbra different helo

Bartimaeus is offline Member

Default Multi Domain open source zimbra different helo

Hi guys,

We are using the Open Source edition of Zimbra, and we are trying to host multiple domains. Everything is OK, except, that some of our IPs have low MTA reputation in Senderbase, which makes Ironport to block the emails. After asking why this is so, it turns out, that they are monitoring also the helo that the MTA responds with.
    So the problem is that when you telnet to 25 port and type helo mail.domain2.xx, the response is helo mail.domain1.xx
    So my question is - is there a way to configure zimbra to use different helo, depending on the domain.

We are using Release 7.1.3_GA_3346.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition.

Thank you in advance.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartimaeus View Post
    So my question is - is there a way to configure zimbra to use different helo, depending on the domain.
    You can't do that, you can only have one helo for the server and that's (normally) the primary domain. You need to configure your DNS records correctly to point the domain2 MX record to your mail.domain1.xx server. I'll also move this to the correct forum as it's not about installing Zimbra (which is where you posted).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Phoenix,

I have done that - our forward and revers DNS is working correctly. However, there are mail systems that perform a check when of the helo, and if it does not match the rDNS they drop the emails, considering it as spam. Any recommendations or thought on the topic will be highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartimaeus View Post
    I have done that - our forward and revers DNS is working correctly. However, there are mail systems that perform a check when of the helo, and if it does not match the rDNS they drop the emails, considering it as spam. Any recommendations or thought on the topic will be highly appreciated.
    All that needs to happen is that the ehlo matches your rDNS, it won't matter which domain name you use to connect to the server. I have multiple domains on my server and I have no problem receiving mail for those domains, none of it is blocked by a rDNS check on my server. As you've given no details on any of your configuration there's no way we can offer you any advice other than to go to some of the sites (do a web search for them) that check your DNS & Server configurations.
    Regards

Bill

OK,

So here is the setup. Zimbra installed with IP 1.2.3.4 and hostname my.domain.com as multi-domain.
    Later on, another IP address was added 5.6.7.8. There are 5 more domains, my.domain1.com, my.domain2.com etc. and are configured to use only the second IP when sending.
    my.domain.com has no problems.
    The IP of that the other domains are using is rated as Poor MTA in senderbase.org. When we asked Senderbase for the reason, they responded it is due to the discrepancy between the rDNS and helo.
    When I checked it, the rDNS of 5.6.7.8 had all 5 domains, that use it when they are sending mail. But when a helo is negotiated, the server responds with my.domain.com. Then senderbase try to resolve it and it returns, of course, 1.2.3.4. And they decide this is spam.
    I have to do one of two things:

1. Change the helo for every domain, or make the helo on 5.6.7.8 display a certain host name and configure all rDNS to it.
    2. Separate the two IPs in different servers with two different MTAs

So how can I achieve the first one, and is there a third option, perhaps...

You omitted to tell me that two IP addresses were involved in this configuration (why do you have them?). The rDNS for each of those IP addresses should only have the (primary) domain name that you use for your mail server (the one it answer when you do an ehlo) not multiple entries and correctly configured DNS records (which you've already assuered me are correct)..
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information