Thread: Moving from behind NAT Router to /29 network with Static IP's

tribear is offline Senior Member

Question Moving from behind NAT Router to /29 network with Static IP's

I recently moved from a 32bit to 64bit RHEL 6.x server and Zimbra 7.x Network version - also 64bit. The whole migration went fine and worked well from behind my NAT router.

I decided to move out from behind it to our WAN router that has static addresses 74.xx.xx.94 to 74.xx.xx.98 available. I made the required changes at Network Solutions to remove my DNS machine from my records and keep the MX address the same 74.xx.xx.94 and moved my private net work router (NAT) to 74.xx.xx.95.

After making those changes and checking the rhel resolv, hosts, hostname files. I thought I was set? The server is plugged directly into the WAN router with eth0 set to 192.168.0.x and eth1 set to 74.xx.xx.94. dnsmaq is setup for simple caching internal dns.

Note: I have tested so far with rhel firewall and without.... no change in results.

Zimbra sees the MX fine and I am able to send mail but none returning when testing mail (send to work and sending back) failure. Something is keeping me from getting mail. ...btw my static IP's from ATT all have port 25 open. I have also opened one additional port for admin 7071. My Zimbra server should be allowing "both" http and https access from outside. It is not working.

I am still unable to receive mail. Scratching my head on this one..... Any help would be greatly appreciated to help debug.

Steve

tribear is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tribear View Post
    I recently moved from a 32bit to 64bit RHEL 6.x server and Zimbra 7.x Network version - also 64bit. The whole migration went fine and worked well from behind my NAT router.

I decided to move out from behind it to our WAN router that has static addresses 74.xx.xx.94 to 74.xx.xx.98 available. I made the required changes at Network Solutions to remove my DNS machine from my records and keep the MX address the same 74.xx.xx.94 and moved my private net work router (NAT) to 74.xx.xx.95.

After making those changes and checking the rhel resolv, hosts, hostname files. I thought I was set? The server is plugged directly into the WAN router with eth0 set to 192.168.0.x and eth1 set to 74.xx.xx.94. dnsmaq is setup for simple caching internal dns.

Note: I have tested so far with rhel firewall and without.... no change in results.

Zimbra sees the MX fine and I am able to send mail but none returning when testing mail (send to work and sending back) failure. Something is keeping me from getting mail. ...btw my static IP's from ATT all have port 25 open. I have also opened one additional port for admin 7071. My Zimbra server should be allowing "both" http and https access from outside. It is not working.

I am still unable to receive mail. Scratching my head on this one..... Any help would be greatly appreciated to help debug.

Steve
    I guess there is no interest in this tread.....

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tribear View Post
    I guess there is no interest in this tread.....
    Perhaps that's because you've not really provided much diagnostic information? Do you see any connection attempts when you try to send mail to your server (from outside your LAN)? What was the point of moving this from behind a NAT router (it provides less security, IMO)? You should not have you admin port exposed outside your LAN, if you need access I'd suggest you vpn into the LAN.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information