Thread: Zimbra 8 spam filtering HORRIBLE

ditto is offline Intermediate Member

Default Zimbra 8 spam filtering HORRIBLE

Spam filtering in Zimbra 8 seems to be almost useless. For every message it tags as spam I'm seeing a good 50 easy to identify spam messages get through. My spam kill level is set at 100 (I want the messages to go to my spam folders) but tagging I've bumped all the way down to 5 from 20 and which has made no difference. Spam training doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have users getting hundreds of spam emails each day.
    Very obviously something is seriously wrong. Zimbra doesn't seem to include the spam score in the headers unless the message was tagged as spam. I'm not entirely sure how to troubleshoot, the wiki and other documentation all seems to be conflicting or ancient and out of date.

Also, I've enabled some of the blacklists which is dropping a ton of mail. Mail that gets through still is an issue though. I also want to use postgrey but am not able to get that to work (again.. out of date documentation). I have it installed and listening on port 10023. I ran zmprov mcf +zimbraMtaRestriction "check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:10023" and restarted postgress. I doesn't look like it's doing anything though. tcpdump on lo doesn't show anything traffic hitting it. What am I missing there?

dik23 is offline Advanced Member

Are you using RBLs? They work well for me.

GreenGumby is offline Senior Member

I would say get a proper spam filtering device. I've never used Zimbra for spam filtering but back when I used RBL's they were 'okay' but nothing compared to a dedicated spam filtering service.

ditto is offline Intermediate Member

Turns out that on my fresh install of Zimbra 8 (after having to wipe and re-install after an upgrade from 7 borked everything) that spam filtering wasn't even running properly. Once that was fixed it's been better. Thoroughly un-impressed with Zimbra 8 so far.

Alupis is offline Intermediate Member

As a freebie really good spam filter... we use Gmail. it requires a little bit of setup since you have to maintain a bunch of gmail accounts, but thats not really a problem if you use something like LastPass of KeePass to save usernames and passwords...

Anyways... we have mail delivered to our zimbra server, which then forwards to the associated gmail account. the user is IMAP'ed to the gmail account but has SMTP setup to go back out from the Zimbra server.

This accomplishes really good spam filtering for the users... and an archive of all mail on the zimbra server... works well and costs only a little management overhead... no expensive Spam filter device or service... nice!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ditto View Post
    Spam filtering in Zimbra 8 seems to be almost useless. For every message it tags as spam I'm seeing a good 50 easy to identify spam messages get through. My spam kill level is set at 100 (I want the messages to go to my spam folders) but tagging I've bumped all the way down to 5 from 20 and which has made no difference. Spam training doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have users getting hundreds of spam emails each day.
    It's working fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ditto View Post
    Very obviously something is seriously wrong. Zimbra doesn't seem to include the spam score in the headers unless the message was tagged as spam. I'm not entirely sure how to troubleshoot, the wiki and other documentation all seems to be conflicting or ancient and out of date.
    Why is it 'out of date'? You're going to have to provide more evidence other than 'it doesn't work'. What have you tried from the wiki articles and what were the results? What do the headers look like on an email that's not getting tagged as spam and one that is? Are you actually using any RBLs? Are there any log file entries that indicate something is amiss with any of the anti-spam system?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information