Thread: Zimbra 8 - Sync shared zimbra address books with CardDAV

kky
    kky is offline Intermediate Member

Default Zimbra 8 - Sync shared zimbra address books with CardDAV

Hi all,

i'm wondering if the open source zimbra 8 will synchronize shared contacts address books with CardDAV clients. I'm know using Zimbra 7.2.1 and this is not actually the case: the only contacts synchronized with CardDAV clients (mac 10.7 in my case) are the ones belonging to the first address book (in alphabetic order) available on your zimbra account.

This is really annoying since you cannot create a shared Global Address book synchronized with your clients, i know that i could use the GAL Sync account but this remains on the zimbra platform and doesn't sync with CardDAV clients and might not be very suitable if you want to create different address books with different access permissions.

Would you have any suggestions on implementing such functionality? it is pretty useless to have shared contacts address books if clients cannot use them directly in Apple Mail (Contacts that are synchronized from Zimbra to the Apple Address Book with CardDAV are available on Apple Mail).

Is there a BUG for this functionality? every suggestion is very much appreciated!
    Thanks in advanced!!

kky
    kky is offline Intermediate Member

I've also tried to implement a solution with the Address Book service of the mac os x server (How to Share an Address Book On 10.6 Snow Leopard Server.) and it works but its totally disconnected from our zimbra collaboration portal and it allows you to organize groups in "folders" but you cannot Tag your contacts.

I'm fine if the tagging process is done through the ZDC or the web interface but i would need a service/configuration that enables clients to search, use and modify contacts in their local Address book or mail client (Apple Mail mainly).

I've also tried to connect the Address book with the LDAP service of zimbra with the following configuration:

server: portal.domain.org
    search base: ou=people,dc=portal,dc=domain,dc=org
    port 389
    Scope: subtree
    Authentication: none
    [EDIT]
    but didn't got it to work
    [/EDIT]
    if zimbra users could see does contacts and eventually Tag them it would be another solution for organizing a Global Address Book. It would be a little bit the same solution of creating a Zimbra Contacts address book, sharing it among users and making the CardDAV service work with shared calendars.

any suggestions? thanks !!!
    kky
    Last edited by kky; 10-22-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: troubleshooting incorrect on the [EDIT] section

storm is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by kky View Post
    Hi all,

i'm wondering if the open source zimbra 8 will synchronize shared contacts address books with CardDAV clients. I'm know using Zimbra 7.2.1 and this is not actually the case: the only contacts synchronized with CardDAV clients (mac 10.7 in my case) are the ones belonging to the first address book (in alphabetic order) available on your zimbra account.

This is really annoying since you cannot create a shared Global Address book synchronized with your clients, i know that i could use the GAL Sync account but this remains on the zimbra platform and doesn't sync with CardDAV clients and might not be very suitable if you want to create different address books with different access permissions.

Would you have any suggestions on implementing such functionality? it is pretty useless to have shared contacts address books if clients cannot use them directly in Apple Mail (Contacts that are synchronized from Zimbra to the Apple Address Book with CardDAV are available on Apple Mail).

Is there a BUG for this functionality? every suggestion is very much appreciated!
    Thanks in advanced!!
    Firstly, your post should be moved to the correct part of this forum: CalDAV / CardDAV / iSync

Zimbra 7 (later versions 7.2 onwards) and 8, work well with most CardDav clients. However, Apple Contacts App and KDE Kontact Kaddressbook App have some bugs affecting syncing with CardDav.

Apple's Mac client appears to not deal with it properly, and doesn't allow individual addressbooks to be chosen - it usually simply uses the first addressbook it comes across - this should be Contacts folder, however, if you name a contacts folder higher in the alphabet (i.e. 'Aquaintances') it will sync that folder instead. Kontact client (Kaddressbook) for Linux systems has a similar, though slightly different problem of, apparently, syncing all folders.

This is the relevant bug: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=62798

I don't know the relevant bugs with Apple and KDE, it might be worth lobbying for their software to solve these bugs.

Good luck!

pbrunnen is offline Loyal Member

Here is a though...

There is some thinking that this is a Zimbra bug per ID 62798 in bugzilla since none of the clients support this... Though oddly enough, the iPhone iOS's native address book does work just fine. *Why Apple do you do these things!?*

It might be a an unclear definition in the CardDAV specification. I just don't have time to read the whole thing...

The notes the suggest that the client does not show or search the subfolders and just picks the first one.

Does anyone know if there is a way to specify which subfolder to use? For instance, if you have two address books that you create two account entries in KDE Kontact which directly refer to each of the two zimbra address books.

It would mean more network overhead, but it certainly would make a useful workaround.

Thanks!
    - Cheers, Peter.

storm is offline Advanced Member

Yes, I've used plenty of CardDAV clients without this issue.

However, Apple still only syncs the first addressbook, and KDE Kontact syncs all, afaik.

So, as you suggest, let's try and figure out if it's a bug in Zimbra, those apps, or the specifications. Hmmm.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information