Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can't get relaying to work

  1. #1
    jim.thornton is offline Loyal Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Can't get relaying to work

    I have been trying to get message relaying to work but nothing I do will help. I've been following the instructions on this page: ZimbraMtaMyNetworks - Zimbra :: Wiki but I keep getting an LDAP error 17 and saying something about a problem with the ATTR.

    Here is my goal:
    I have a server in which I use to host my website(s). I use to have the mail server configured there but about a year ago I decided to setup ZCS and started using ZCS for all of my emailing. My server is running frameworks (ie. Joomla and other programs like bamboo invoices) and these systems need to send out emails. I have entered in my SMTP details into the configuration files of said frameworks and scripts but the messages are not being delivered.

    Upon further investigation into mail.err I found that there were multiple messages where it was saying that Relay Access Denied. So I naturally started googling to find the solution which led me to the above mentioned article. However I cannot get the solution to work.

    Can someone please help me? Also the log files are stating client host unknown and listing my IP address for my other server (the one with the frameworks trying to send the messages).

    Ultimately I would like to set it up so that I (or any of the users on the server) can configure their mail clients to use ZCS as their SMTP server from any where (i.e. their home, phone, server, etc).

    At the same time I would like to reduce the possibilty of someone being able to hack into their email accounts and send thousands of spam messages from their accounts too.

    Could someone please help me with this?
    Release 7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition.

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,495
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim.thornton View Post
    I have entered in my SMTP details into the configuration files of said frameworks and scripts but the messages are not being delivered.
    You should be using port 587 as an authenticated users to send mail ia your Zimbra server, is that what you're doing? You should also not modify your Trusted Network settings, if you've modified that I'd suggest you revert it to it's original settings.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    jim.thornton is offline Loyal Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should be using port 587 as an authenticated users to send mail ia your Zimbra server, is that what you're doing? You should also not modify your Trusted Network settings, if you've modified that I'd suggest you revert it to it's original settings.
    After I got that message, I went into the Admin GUI and then server settings and added my IP address from the server that is sending the emails (my other server) as a trusted network. Is this okay since it is just one IP?
    Release 7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition.

  4. #4
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,495
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim.thornton View Post
    After I got that message, I went into the Admin GUI and then server settings and added my IP address from the server that is sending the emails (my other server) as a trusted network. Is this okay since it is just one IP?
    That would depend on whether the server ever gets compromised, you've just given it full unauthenticated access to send whatever mail it wants via your mail server. If you're happy with that then leave it, I wouldn't allow any server that has a public (internet) facing server to access anything else in my LAN without authentication for every email that it sends. Ultimately this is your choice and how confident you are that your security is up to the job.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    jim.thornton is offline Loyal Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That would depend on whether the server ever gets compromised, you've just given it full unauthenticated access to send whatever mail it wants via your mail server. If you're happy with that then leave it, I wouldn't allow any server that has a public (internet) facing server to access anything else in my LAN without authentication for every email that it sends. Ultimately this is your choice and how confident you are that your security is up to the job.
    I'm pretty confident however not stupid, I will change it back. I thought that it was giving them autheticated access only.
    Release 7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition.

  6. #6
    jim.thornton is offline Loyal Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Okay... I've been working on this more this evening. Even after adding the IP address, I could not get it to work at all. Further review of the log files showed "Client host rejected: Access Denied". In this setup, I had the IP added into the trusted network. I also had my host, username and password setup in the script on my other server and the port was set to 587 (because I have TLS on and required).

    I then changed the port to 25 (not 587) and it worked.

    I then took my IP address out of the "trusted networks" and it would no longer send. Now the error message was "Relay access denied".

    I then put my IP address back in the "trusted networks" and it worked again.

    I further tested this to confirm what Phoenix was saying and I purposely put in the wrong authentication username/password into my script and sure enough the email still sent out as he said it would. When I took the IP address out of the trusted networks it would not go out.

    So basically it comes down to this. How can I setup my Zimbra server so that users can cionfigure their clients (ie. outlook, thunderbird, phones, etc) to use the Zimbra server to send out the emails?

    I've been searching for days and would appreciate if someone can walk me through it please.
    Release 7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Relaying mails
    By raui71 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM
  2. Zimbra relaying POP
    By kerber in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 06:07 AM
  3. allow relaying for an ip..
    By timothyalangorman in forum Administrators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
  4. Relaying
    By Fox in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 08:39 AM
  5. Domain relaying
    By andywan in forum Administrators
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •