Thread: migrating from Thunderbird to Zimbra Web Client

kusu is offline Member

Default migrating from Thunderbird to Zimbra Web Client

Dear All

We are presently running an inhouse server with Zimbra 6 and our users are working with Thunderbird clients. I am now checking if it would be possible to migrate to Zimbra 8 and the Zimbra Web Client instead. I have made a test install of Zimbra 8 in order to evaluate the web client and I am quite impressed. However, I have found two issues which, if they cannot be solved, are show-stoppers:

1. No way to "redirect" a single message from one user to another. By "redirecting" I mean that user A can manually forward a message to user B without changing the "from" address so when user B "replies" to the message the reply goes to the original sender. (I am fully aware that this type of redirecting is frowned upon in some situations, but in a professional environment in-house forwarding is extremely useful and nothing to be frowned at, e.g. when a message arrives at the main mail address, from where it is redirected to the person best suited for handling it.) I have seen no such functionality in the web mail client.

2. Switch spellchecker language on a message-by-message basis. Most of our users regularly write mails in two or more languages, e.g. English and German. They need a way to easily switch the spellchecker between these languages, but I have seen no such functionality in the web client. (I know, this problem might be overcome by using a browser client that has a built-in spellchecker with language switching capability.)

Is my assumption correct that there is no easy way to solve any of the above issues within zimbra, or did I overlook something? Any feedback is appreciated.

Best regards

Kurt Sutter

moetiker is offline Loyal Member

Hello Kurt

1. the function is there, just right click on the message and select "redirect"

2. I did not test it but Spell check language from body | Zimbra :: Gallery could be something ...

cheers manuel

moren is offline Trained Alumni

I find the built-in spellchecker in Firefox very useful. Just add additional languages and you can switch among those with a simple right-click + select. Supports spell-as-you-type.

Regards

chauvetp is offline Elite Member

I echo moren's suggestion about Firefox here. We have faculty who correspond in a lot of different languages. I found using Firefox worked very well with switching languages (and once users realize you can do that, they'll probably use it elsewhere such as their personal mail, blogs/forums/etc).
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz

Thread Information