Thread: Zimbra 8.0 Auto Provisioning help

frankchavez is offline Trained Alumni

Question Zimbra 8.0 Auto Provisioning help

Installed Zimbra 8.0 network edition trial on a test system so I could test out auto provisioning before production system is upgraded. Going off the info I found in /opt/zimbra/docs/autoprov.txt and release notes I was able to get it started, but it doesn't seem to like the way I'm currently doing things.

I setup Eager auto provisioning from Active Directory. User names come into AD from another system and email addresses are always created as first.last@domain.com. I currently have authentication based off what is set for the user's "mail" attribute on AD. I set zimbraAutoProvAccountNameMap to 'mail' but that results in it trying to create 'first.last@domain.com@domain.com'. I have multiple email domains with possibility of matching emails so I can't drop the @domain.com part from AD.

Any ideas?

I had opened a support case for this and after providing all the info on my setup it isn't possible to make use of the 'mail' attribute if it has the full email address in it. Just an FYI for anyone else looking to do the same.

If you have just a single email domain then it should be really simple to use the mail attribute. If you have multiple email domains but they are in separate OU's in Active Directory then it should be possible to use the mail attribute as well.

I got an update on my support case and this should be fixed on 8.0.2. I had just updated to that this weekend so I'll update this post after I have had a chance to test it out.

Still not possible to do this as I need it.
    It looks like bug 78610 had two issues listed in it. The first one was about not seeing errors and was resolved by making DEBUG logging available. The second one was about being flexible with zimbraAutoProvAccountNameMap and was not mentioned again after Comment #7
    If I set zimbraAutoProvAccountNameMap to 'mail=%u' it fails with this error in mailbox.log:
    Code:
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: AutoProvision: unable to get localpart: null
    If I set zimbraAutoProvAccountNameMap to 'mail' it fails trying to create with this warning in mailbox.log:
    Code:
    2012-12-27 15:53:21,634 WARN  [AutoProvision] [] autoprov - unable to auto create account, dn="CN=rightfax test,OU=Users,OU=Test,OU=IT,*REMOVED*"
    * It also shows the account it's trying to create as rightfaxtest@test.local@test.local so that's probably why it's failing.
    If I set zimbraAutoProvAccountNameMap to 'sAMAccountName' it creates the email account rftest@test.local without issue.

If I remove the @test.local from the Active Directory mail attribute then it works too.

Policy requires that I use first.last@domain.com
    We have multiple email domains that are not limited to specific OU's as well so need to include the @domain.com part.

marcshep is offline Starter Member

I'm on 8.0.2 also and am seeing this exact behavior.
    I'm using OpenLdap not AD

We have the mail attribute set for other services that use the ldap for authentication and need to have the full email address in there.

Any update on this issue?

ZS-Man is offline Starter Member

I have same problem with 8.0.3, Samba4 and LAZY autoprovisioning.
    Still no solution?

If I try set mail attribute to test.user (without @domain.xx), account is autoprovisioned correctly, but after logout I cannot login again. I must change mail attribute back to full email address for login to my zimbra account.

Thread Information