Thread: Upgrading to Zimbra 8 Network Edition EPIC FAIL

rmvg is offline Advanced Member

Default Upgrading to Zimbra 8 Network Edition EPIC FAIL

Hello all tried an upgrade from Zimbra 7.2.0 to 8.0.0 a couple of nights back and it suffered an Epic Fail.

NOTE i am going from memory as i had to restore zimbra from a backup and do not have the infos infront of me anymore.

The upgrade seems to go well, but reaches a point where it pops up the config screen you know the one with all settings menus 1. through 12. or whatever. It is asking me correct 2 items one is my license file which i fix easily by pointing Zimbra to a copy of my license file in my /home directory a bit wierd that it cannot find its own license, but alas i do have a copy so no biggy fixed.

However the next item i need to fix is the LDAP authentication BES something something password it is showing unverified so try to set it but is still unverified so i select q for quit and Zimbra asks me if i would like to quit without saving the changes i enter Yes and it dumps me back to the command line.

PS i found a post about removing some lines in the zmsetup.pl file which i did remove the mentioned lines, but zimbra still broke at the same spot with the same BES error

Now Zimbra is totally broken and needs to restored from backup as the upgrade has not completed properly

Please help me complete this upgrade

PS maybe Zimbra should ask these questions before it destroys the current installation would save huge amounts of time effort sleepless nights ect
    Computer King

http://www.computerking.ca

Sales, Service, and Hosting
    Email, Data, and Web Packages
    Ask about web design specials

Affiliates
    http://www.computerking.ca/pages/lin...affiliates.htm

Hello do i have to put in a support ticket for an update?
    Computer King

Affiliates

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rmvg View Post
    Hello do i have to put in a support ticket for an update?
    I would suggest that's your best course of action. Just out of interest, is the /opt/zimbra directory structure mounted somewhere with a link to it? As far as I know, there's no reason for the configuration to appear except on a new (first time) installation. Unfortunately I know nothing about BES so I can't contribute anything to a solution for you.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Diatheke is offline Starter Member

Default Similar results - 7.2 to 8.0 FOSS

Quote Originally Posted by rmvg View Post
    Hello all tried an upgrade from Zimbra 7.2.0 to 8.0.0 a couple of nights back and it suffered an Epic Fail.

NOTE i am going from memory as i had to restore zimbra from a backup and do not have the infos infront of me anymore.

The upgrade seems to go well, but reaches a point where it pops up the config screen you know the one with all settings menus 1. through 12. or whatever. It is asking me correct 2 items one is my license file which i fix easily by pointing Zimbra to a copy of my license file in my /home directory a bit wierd that it cannot find its own license, but alas i do have a copy so no biggy fixed.

However the next item i need to fix is the LDAP authentication BES something something password it is showing unverified so try to set it but is still unverified so i select q for quit and Zimbra asks me if i would like to quit without saving the changes i enter Yes and it dumps me back to the command line.

PS i found a post about removing some lines in the zmsetup.pl file which i did remove the mentioned lines, but zimbra still broke at the same spot with the same BES error

Now Zimbra is totally broken and needs to restored from backup as the upgrade has not completed properly

Please help me complete this upgrade

PS maybe Zimbra should ask these questions before it destroys the current installation would save huge amounts of time effort sleepless nights ect

I had the same issue when trying to upgrade Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition on Ubuntu 10.04 to 8.0. From the menu system I couldn't get the "Not Verified" to go away and had to quit abandoning my changes and ultimately back to 7.2 The installer menu looked like this (except I removed the [redacted] sections):

Code:
    Main menu

1) Common Configuration:                                                  
            +Hostname:                             [redacted]           
            +Ldap master host:                     [redacted]         
            +Ldap port:                            389                           
    ******* +Ldap Admin password:                  Not Verified                  
            +Secure interprocess communications:   yes                           
            +TimeZone:                             America/Chicago               
            +IP Mode:                              ipv4                          

2) zimbra-ldap:                             Enabled                       
            +Create Domain:                        no                            
            +Ldap root password:                   set                           
            +Ldap replication password:            set                           
    ******* +Ldap postfix password:                Not Verified                  
    ******* +Ldap amavis password:                 Not Verified                  
            +Ldap nginx password:                  set                           
    ******* +Ldap Bes Searcher password:           Not Verified                  

3) zimbra-store:                            Enabled                       
       4) zimbra-mta:                              Enabled                       
            +MTA Auth host:                        [redacted]           
            +Enable Spamassassin:                  yes                           
            +Enable Clam AV:                       yes                           
            +Notification address for AV alerts:   [redacted]       
    ******* +Bind password for postfix ldap user:  Not Verified                  
    ******* +Bind password for amavis ldap user:   Not Verified                  

5) zimbra-snmp:                             Enabled                       
       6) zimbra-logger:                           Enabled                       
       7) zimbra-spell:                            Enabled                       
       8) Default Class of Service Configuration:                                
       r) Start servers after configuration        yes                           
       s) Save config to file                                                    
       x) Expand menu                                                            
       q) Quit                                    

Address unconfigured (**) items or correct ldap configuration  (? - help)

Hello similar problem alrite do u have NE or Free

Quote Originally Posted by Diatheke View Post
    I had the same issue when trying to upgrade Release 7
    .2.0_GA_2669.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition on Ubuntu 10.04 to 8.0. From the menu system I couldn't get the "Not Verified" to go away and had to quit abandoning my changes and ultimately back to 7.2 The installer menu looked like this (except I removed the [redacted] sections):

Code:
    Main menu

1) Common Configuration:                                                  
            +Hostname:                             [redacted]           
            +Ldap master host:                     [redacted]         
            +Ldap port:                            389                           
    ******* +Ldap Admin password:                  Not Verified                  
            +Secure interprocess communications:   yes                           
            +TimeZone:                             America/Chicago               
            +IP Mode:                              ipv4                          

2) zimbra-ldap:                             Enabled                       
            +Create Domain:                        no                            
            +Ldap root password:                   set                           
            +Ldap replication password:            set                           
    ******* +Ldap postfix password:                Not Verified                  
    ******* +Ldap amavis password:                 Not Verified                  
            +Ldap nginx password:                  set                           
    ******* +Ldap Bes Searcher password:           Not Verified                  

3) zimbra-store:                            Enabled                       
       4) zimbra-mta:                              Enabled                       
            +MTA Auth host:                        [redacted]           
            +Enable Spamassassin:                  yes                           
            +Enable Clam AV:                       yes                           
            +Notification address for AV alerts:   [redacted]       
    ******* +Bind password for postfix ldap user:  Not Verified                  
    ******* +Bind password for amavis ldap user:   Not Verified                  

5) zimbra-snmp:                             Enabled                       
       6) zimbra-logger:                           Enabled                       
       7) zimbra-spell:                            Enabled                       
       8) Default Class of Service Configuration:                                
       r) Start servers after configuration        yes                           
       s) Save config to file                                                    
       x) Expand menu                                                            
       q) Quit                                    

Address unconfigured (**) items or correct ldap configuration  (? - help)
    Computer King

Affiliates

Diatheke is offline Starter Member

FOSS Edition. FOSS == Free Open Source Software

MACscr is offline Special Member

Did you ever figure this out? I am in the same boat with the NE edition and upgrading from 7.2 to 8.02

elijahpaul is offline Intermediate Member

Also in a similar boat.

Upgraded Zimbra 7.2 FOSS, Ubuntu 10.04 to Zimbra 8 FOSS, and now I cannot login via the webclient for any of the accounts, including the admin account!

i didn't experience any issue/warnings during the upgrade process. So it seems that the upgrade has broken the authentication somehow!

Really need help with this!

webguyinternet is offline Active Member

Take a look at this thread... it fixed it for me while upgrading from 7.2.4 to 8.0.2:

32 to 64 bit Upgrade issue - BES Searcher password

Thread Information