Thread: Server Crashed - License File Issue During Reinstall.

msf004 is offline Loyal Member

Default Server Crashed - License File Issue During Reinstall.

I have an old installation of network edition 4.5.11 on a server that the HDD recently crashed. I have a new server, and I have re-installed 4.5.11 on the new server. However, the installation will not seem to continue without pointing it to a license file.

...my license file is in an email. ...that is part of the data I am currently trying to recover.

My goal was to get 4.5.11 reinstalled, recover my all of my client's data from backups, then begin an upgrade path to a more recent ZCS.

I have searched the directories looking for the license file, but I am not finding it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Marc

LMStone is offline Moderator

The email blobs are in /opt/zimbra/store and the license file should have been placed as /opt/zimbra/conf/ZCSLicense.xml.

If the file system is so damaged that none of those directories are available (presuming /opt/zimbra/backup is on a separate set of undamaged spindles) then I would recommend getting an evaluation license file from Zimbra to allow the installer to complete. Hopefully the 4.5.11 installer will accept the latest-format Zimbra license file, as a number of fields have been added since the 4.5 series.

Hope that helps, and keep us posted,
    Mark

Thanks LMStone - I have been able to locate the License file - so I have that now.

I have read restoration docs (here on the Zimbra Wiki) and I have browsed the forums. At this point my email has been down for 24 hours and customers are getting angry.

I accidentally installed 4.5.6, forgetting that I was running 4.5.11 - I have since found the 4.5.11 install files. Should I:

(1) upgrade the 4.5.6 to 4.5.11
    (2) wipe the 4.5.6 and install the 4.5.11

I have not "applied" a backup to the current install yet.

Also, my next question is:

I was accustom to creating backups nightly as well as backing up the entire /opt/zimbra directory structure. In my thinking, once I install 4.5.11 I should be able to perform a rsync of my entire "old" /opt/zimbra against the "new" /opt/zimbra installation and then restart zimbra.

Does that seem feasible?

Also, with regards to my backups, in reading the wiki it appears there should be data in the sessions dir. However, all of my backup data is within the tmp directory within backups. There are multiple directories within tmp named "full-20120930.060117.613".

I also used to check the backup stats on occasion and it always showed successful backups.

Again, I ask because the wiki made me believe I should see some data in sessions - which was concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by msf004 View Post
    Thanks LMStone - I have been able to locate the License file - so I have that now.

I have read restoration docs (here on the Zimbra Wiki) and I have browsed the forums. At this point my email has been down for 24 hours and customers are getting angry.

I accidentally installed 4.5.6, forgetting that I was running 4.5.11 - I have since found the 4.5.11 install files. Should I:

(1) upgrade the 4.5.6 to 4.5.11
    (2) wipe the 4.5.6 and install the 4.5.11

I have not "applied" a backup to the current install yet.

Also, my next question is:

I was accustom to creating backups nightly as well as backing up the entire /opt/zimbra directory structure. In my thinking, once I install 4.5.11 I should be able to perform a rsync of my entire "old" /opt/zimbra against the "new" /opt/zimbra installation and then restart zimbra.

Does that seem feasible?
    If you were taking copies of the /opt/zimbra tree with Zimbra running you likely do not have a restorable backup. MySQL and LDAP keep much of their data in RAM, so copying what's on disk doesn't get you working LDAP and MySQL. Presuming that you are running Network Edition, I would:

1. Wipe the 4.5.6 install and install 4.5.11 clean.
    2. Follow the steps in the Network Edition Disaster Recovery wiki article: Network Edition Disaster Recovery - Zimbra :: Wiki
    3. Test, and then open the firewall if all is OK.
    4. Organize a later maintenance window(s) to upgrade to Zimbra 7.2.1 or 8.0

Hope that helps,
    Mark

So I am not going to lie - those instructions are intimidating.

Do you know of any services that work with Zimbra regularly that I could hire to assist with these steps? I guess my concern is that I have 200+ email clients that have been without email since yesterday. Obviously this is no one's problem but mine; however, if there are expert services to assist, at this time I would be more than happy to call on the assistance of those services.

Prior to your above reply, I had already started down my (possibly wrong) path. At this point I have version 4.5.11 installed on the new server and I had already copied over the files from the old server. (Again, I realize these are not the steps in the distaster recover doc, but this is where I was when you showed the doc to me.)

AT this point when I attempt to start the server I get:

[: ./zcs] # zmcontrol start
    Host blah.blah.new
    Starting ldap...Done.
    Starting logger...Done.
    Starting mailbox...Done.
    Starting antispam...Done.
    Starting antivirus...FAILED
    clamd failed to start

Starting snmp...Done.
    Starting spell...Done.
    Starting mta...Done.
    Starting stats...Done.

[ : ./zcs] # zmcontrol status
    Host blah.blah.new
    antispam Running
    antivirus Stopped
    amavisd running pid: 14889
    zmclamdctl is not running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Stopped
    tomcat is not running
    mta Stopped
    postfix is not running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Running

Anything I can look at to possibly attempt to "repair" this install?

If the disaster recovery is my only option, then I will begin attempting that path; however, I wanted to post this question before so.

Quote Originally Posted by msf004 View Post
    So I am not going to lie - those instructions are intimidating.

Do you know of any services that work with Zimbra regularly that I could hire to assist with these steps? I guess my concern is that I have 200+ email clients that have been without email since yesterday. Obviously this is no one's problem but mine; however, if there are expert services to assist, at this time I would be more than happy to call on the assistance of those services.
    I can understand why the instructions look intimidating, but they are not unlike a cookbook recipe in that they give you every step of the way. If they are not clear, just dig a little deeper. For example, your question about the "sessions" directory is totally valid! That directory is within each of the "full..." directories of each of the backups.

Look, if you really do have good NE backups, you should be OK. You just need to get the new server primed to be able to do a restore to it.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information