Thread: how long did it take to run the migrate20100913-Mysql51.pl

alto is offline Special Member

Question how long did it take to run the migrate20100913-Mysql51.pl

I'll be upgrading to 7.2.1 shortly and wonder how long the MYSQL table upgrade script has taken other people to run?

In the release notes the example is for a 4000 mailbox, 250 MB mailbox size, the script could take about 70 minutes to run.

Now I only have 170 mailboxes but most of those are GB's in size, with the average about 4GB

So anybody remember how long theirs took and how many mailboxes + size?

Thanks

iehrenwaldTA is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'll be upgrading to 7.2.1 shortly and wonder how long the MYSQL table upgrade script has taken other people to run?

In the release notes the example is for a 4000 mailbox, 250 MB mailbox size, the script could take about 70 minutes to run.

Now I only have 170 mailboxes but most of those are GB's in size, with the average about 4GB

So anybody remember how long theirs took and how many mailboxes + size?

Thanks
    When upgrading from 6.0.10 -> 7.2.0P1, the script took about 90 minutes per mail store (we have two, currently). There were close to 1600 accounts split between them, average size of a mailbox was around 4.5GB. Each mail store has about 50GB of MySQL metadata and 4TB of mail. Therefore, total size was about 100GB of MySQL metadata and 8TB of mail.

I highly recommend running the script in a 'screen' session just in case you get disconnected.

Thanks for that, exactly the type of info I was looking for. Did you run the script immediately after the upgrade or run a backup first?

iehrenwaldTA is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Thanks for that, exactly the type of info I was looking for. Did you run the script immediately after the upgrade or run a backup first?
    Our NetApp takes storage-level snapshots of our volumes hourly through VMWare using SMVI. We also manually took a storage-level snapshot of our Zimbra volumes on our NetApp before we started the upgrade in case we had to roll back. Additionally, I highly recommend cutting off all network communication to the Zimbra hosts while you do the upgrade so everything is in a known, consistant state and in case you do have to roll back, nothing has changed and your users won't be missing anything. I'm speaking as someone who has done two pretty large migrations and upgrades with the help of Zimbra Professional Services. If you can afford it, they're indispensable when it comes to enterprise-level planning/support.

The script only took 12 minutes to run.

Thread Information