Thread: zca-8 Virtual Appliance -- can't login!

freakwent is offline Junior Member

Default zca-8 Virtual Appliance -- can't login!

Can anyone please help? I just posted this on IRC but there's been no response yet, so I've signed up here as well.

<Freakwent> Having downloaded the Zimbra Collaboration Server Appliance, I can't login. I've looked in these places:
    <Freakwent> Default root passwd for VMWare appliance (via google)
    <Freakwent> http://www.zimbra.com/docs/ne/8.0.0/...n_Process.html
    <Freakwent> There are two links from the first one, one to a deleted wiki page, one to a PDF with passwords that don't work for me.
    <Freakwent> I'm running from zca-8.0.0.0-1147_OVF10.ova, but I couldn't import it to Virtualbox, I had to extract it and import the ovf, if that's relevant. It's probably not. I can hit the web interface on port 5480 just fine, and I can get the console login prompt, but I can't login to either.
    <Freakwent> What did I miss in the signup and introduction process that I should have paid more attention to?
    <Freakwent> In the administrator's manual I see:
    <Freakwent> Enter the complete administrator address as admin@domain.com and the password.The initial password is configured when ZCS is installed.

I've looked everywhere I can think of and I've hit a dead end on this, I feel so stupid! I've followed every link in the introduction email and got nowhere. There's no README in the ova tgz, I'm out of ideas.

It occurs to me that it should probably be stated in the EULA, that would be pretty funny.

Thanks in advance!

Default solved

Hooray!

initial login of virtual appliance management interface

I didn't see it in the guide though, I should read more carefully. Now it insists on a legitimate FQDN. A poor fit for a small local office without a domain controller. I'll think of something,....

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by freakwent View Post
    I didn't see it in the guide though, I should read more carefully. Now it insists on a legitimate FQDN.
    That's always been the case for a mail server.

A poor fit for a small local office without a domain controller.
    Not really.

I'll think of something,....
    The answer you're looking for is (probably) a Split DNS, search the forums and wiki for that.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I didn't mean to get bogged down in this, sorry, but it's most certainly possible for a computer to send and receive email without checking to see if it's hostname resolves in DNS. I want Zimbra for calendar sharing/sync, and won't be using the other features -- the client doesn't own a properly resolving domain nor a DNS server. SME Server, amongst many others, is perfectly happy to operate as somehost.local.

I'm not disputing the design decisions as such, I just noted that I hit the same problem as another recent thread that's in the installation area that's still unresolved - I won't respond to that one because I can't imagine helping guide someone through the hassle of either setting up a "fake" DNS server or buying and configuring a domain.

Anyway, this is all off topic, and that's my fault, sorry. I ran the initial setup, it stalled at 57 minutes and claimed to be busy on the web page for 8 hours or so, when I woke up I found that the VM had crashed ("aborted") and now root/vmware won't log me in on the console or on the page at port 5480, I get "Unable to authenticate user. Please try again."

It's probably something silly on my part, like inadequate disk space or RAM. I'll trash it and start again, and report progress here in case it helps others.

Default Unsolved

http://www.zimbra.com/docs/os/8.0.0/...n_Console.html

Initial setup has completed -- Now I can't login to the admin console, the suggestions of admin@host.domain password zimbra aren't working.

Has anyone any advice for me please?

Has anyone any advice for me please?

I've decided to try google calendar instead, it syncs with iPhone and Outlook so should probably do what I need.

Sincere thanks for your time and help, in any case.

Thread Information