Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAS and CIFS

ronnyek is offline Senior Member

Default NAS and CIFS

Ok,
    So what my company has opted to have me try and do is the following, mount a cifs share, (which went flawlessly), and point message storage there. I realize while this may not be ideal, our server wont be hitting huge volume and if possible we'd like to stick to this model.

So far so good. I can see it making directories etc for new accounts and inbound messages after creating a new message store volume under servers.

Upon sending email to first test account I can see it trying to create a folder in which it fails... and was curious if the exception meant anything to anyone.

If I create the rightmost 0 folder manually and resend the message arrives at given destination just fine.

Code:
    2006-12-12 14:49:04,922 INFO  [LmtpServer-6] [name=rich@zimbra.testserver.com;] FileBlobStore - Stored size=3142 wrote=3142 path=/mnt/nas/ZimbraMailBoxes/incoming/1165961751349-8.msg vol=3 digest=OozHJFBgx,+sbfYKZQ+ljC5PUDY=
    2006-12-12 14:49:04,932 INFO  [LmtpServer-6] [name=rich@zimbra.testserver.com;] ZimbraLmtpBackend - try again for rich@zimbra.testserver.com: exception occurred
    java.io.IOException: Unable to create blob store directory /mnt/nas/ZimbraMailBoxes/0/3/msg/0
            at com.zimbra.cs.store.FileBlobStore.ensureDirExists(FileBlobStore.java:353)
            at com.zimbra.cs.store.FileBlobStore.ensureParentDirExists(FileBlobStore.java:359)
            at com.zimbra.cs.store.FileBlobStore.renameTo(FileBlobStore.java:220)
    Anyone with any sort of advice whatsoever? I can create permissions from unix side of things via the mountpoint in fedora etc with no problems.

Thanks in advance
    Weston

whoops, I can create folders and such no problem. Its like it doesnt bother creating the deepest 0 folder and thus cant write the actual .msg file.

Did I miss something in zmlocalconfig? I set:
    zimbra_store_directory = /mnt/nas/ZimbraMailBoxes

Thanks again guys.

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Permissions?

Does the zimbra user have permissions to create those folders?
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

ok, well I went ahead and determined that the zimbra user has full permissions to read/write/delete etc...

Is there a way I can enable a bit more verbose logging to see whats happening directly before getting the exception?

Another question, did I take proper precautions and modify everything I needed to to start storing messages in external message store?

Server->Volumes->New

Specify new mount

save
    set current
    save

zmlocalconfig -e zimbra_store_directory=/mnt/MailStore/ZimbraMailBoxes
    zmcontrol stop/start

Do I need to manually migrate old boxes over (this is testserver, so doesnt really matter)

Is there more involved?

Tahnks in advance
    s

chh
    chh is offline Advanced Member

I had a similar wish to migrate mails between 2 mailstores on the same server. It seems that this is currently not possible. So you, like me, have to live with the first, now quite statis, mailstore and the second "live" one.

I dont quite understand your response, migrating the messages themselves is not really the issue. For me, I've got the test server with no REAL accounts setup.

My question was simply... all I need to do is create a new volume for a server and set it to current? Should that be sufficient, or do I need to change zmlocalconfig vars and numerous other steps in the process?

I've logged in as "zimbra" and I dont have a problem creating folders,files, moving reading etc, yet I still get this java exception when trying to create the innermost folder. If I create manually, the thing fires up just fine and recieves messages into it all day long.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has recommendations on how I could go about getting more detailed logging to help trouble shoot, I'd appreciate that as well.

chh

For using the new mailstore setting it to current is enough.

I am not an expert, but I guess that the problems that you have, might be related to the cifs protocol.
    Do you have a chance of using NFS? This should be a much more reliable connection.
    I heard of others having problems due to unstable connections to cifs shares.

Christian

yeah, our NAS device supports both standards I beleive, we were testing with a regular ol windows share, and that very well could have been the root of our problem. I just wanted to make sure that I was following the correct route in creating a new store etc.

Should I need to mess with zmlocalconfig stuff at all, (if all I am really concerned with is mail messages and possibly database?

Thanks in advance
    Weston

chh

I never needed it so far.
    I sometimes use zmprov, especially for scripting and zmbackup* of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information